Ford Taps data from Forums like FF - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 645, Level 12
Points: 645, Level: 12 Points: 645, Level: 12 Points: 645, Level: 12
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Are you driving SAFELY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundFocus View Post
... Am I the only one that would rather not have this? Sorry, don't like the idea of Ford or any other company being able to peer at how my car is running or how I'm driving whenever they want. Even if it wouldn't have a GPS like the black boxes some insurance companies (and the government) wants I still don't like it. If someone wants it as an option great but not for me. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
That part of the article scares me. Now, we can argue about whether or not we want Ford to be able to access all this information, whether it is good or bad. But if Ford can do this, so could the government.

I am not normally a 'grab your guns and head for the hills' kind of guy. (not that there is anything wrong with that), but I really don't need any more interference in my life than I already have.
Too late. Now that "the government" (we the people) in the USA will be paying communally for everyone's health care, they (we) will clearly benefit by reducing the cost of injuries inflicted by traffic accidents. One way to do that is to protect us from our own overly enthusiastic driving habits.

Driving habits can easily be monitored, but between the ECU, TCU, BCU (notice the "C" in the middle of all those units), and an always-on internet connection it is not a big step to control, rather than to just monitor. (Well, except for that part about getting the DCT to know when to go and when to stop.) Active park assist on steroids. Just think of all the traffic accidents that can be avoided by all cars being centrally controlled (and of all those good paying government jobs for all the people who will do the controlling -- unless they're on strike), just like a transit system. It is for our own good. (Of course, we will all have to allow our cars to be inspected periodically by TSA to insure that they have not been infected by stuxnet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundFocus View Post
... After all, I go through enough tin foil for lining my hats, last thing I want to do is line my vehicle in it too
soundFocus, Until recently I haven't understood why anyone does that, but I'm starting to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm seeing a lot more benefits for the car makers than for the consumers here just as you would expect from an article in the WSJ promoting this stuff. And once again the potential for privacy abuse of the individual driver is strongly there.

Quote:
Meanwhile, as more cars are outfitted with always-on Internet connections, car companies will be able to monitor the performance of vehicles on the road and use the data they collect to improve the quality, safety and fuel economy of vehicles and avoid engineering mistakes that could over time erupt into a recall.

"If you're driving around and you have a problem, and they see a bunch of other people are having the same problem, the car company can send you a message and inform you to get the part changed," says Thilo Koslowski, an analyst at Gartner Inc. IT +0.11%

"Being able to minimize a recall can be real money for manufacturers," he says.

Improving safety, however, isn't the only way car companies can use that data. Mr. Koslowski estimates that by 2016, up to a third of all interactions between car companies and their customers will happen in the vehicle. Car companies, for example, could collect and analyze data about how customers use leased vehicles, and based on that information suggest other cars a driver might like around the time his or her lease is expiring, he says.

Bookmarks & Social Networks