Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus

888K views 2K replies 468 participants last post by  PrDawg 
#1 ·
Well purchased my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on May 21, 2011. My vehicle had to be ordered and was delivered to me on May 24th. Upon driving it, I found that when I would come to a stop and push the gas to go, it would sputter and hesitate. I have been dealing with it for over 2 weeks and decided to contact my dealership.

I took the vehicle to the shop on June 3rd. The tech drove with me and felt exactly what I was talking about. He stated that he had to put it on the computer. Within 30 minutes, he came out with a piece of paper stating 2012 Focus automatic transmission shudder. Some 2012 focus vehicles equipped with the powershift/DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop. This condition does not cause durability or reliably concerns and will deminish as the clutch breaks in. "IF CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF THIS ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AND SHARE THIS SERVICE MESSAGE WITH THE CUSTOMER.

My question was, how long does this go on and when will it stop? No on could answer. Has anyone else felt this issue? I could not find any post on this prior to me putting this up. I stated I do not feel safe in the vehicle. The car at times when I pull out on the road feels just like it will stall out. After sending an email to the VP of the dealership, I was contacted by the service manager. He stated that he is working on getting an answer from Ford.. At the time of service there were 781 miles on my car. Today there are 1291 and still nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply and will move forward if I don't like the answer.[bigcry]

Also, yesterday while driving, my shoe lace got caught on brake peddle. Has anyone else ever gotten stuck on the brake peddle? Just curious. It freaked me out.

See less See more
#2,207 ·
I'd have to say let her get a feel for it, as you'd do with any other car. Plenty of parking lot practice to start - again rather normal.

"Creeping" below first gear engagement seems to be the worst for the car, and it'll let you know that with "shuddering" eventually. Let her know AFTER some practice that it's better to start moving when you can accelerate beyond the 5-7 mph where the clutch can fully engage, and save "creeping" for parking maneuvers.

The other situation that seems to result in poor behavior is being uncertain or changing your mind on what speed you desire. On & off throttle application, particularly when near a shift point, seems to occasionally "confuse" the system resulting in jerky reactions and/or momentary loss of power as it decides what to do.

Normal Driver training to gain confidence, plan ahead with "long range" vision, and use the controls smoothly & decisively will avoid this reported issue in most cases.

One often neglected "Defensive Driving" technique is to leave yourself an "out" when planning to cross or merge into traffic. Waiting for a larger "hole" in traffic, and being ready to stop/turn if the car doesn't accelerate as desired is a good plan in any vehicle. It's easy to forget this when you drive a long time with nary an issue, but hesitation/stalling etc. is always a possibility with any vehicle. There are enough times that speed/distance perception is off, or a hidden car becomes visible after you start to move - no need to take any avoidable chances.

That's starting to verge on a general defensive driving lecture, so I'll cut it short. Looking/planning ahead, recognizing traffic patterns & likely "unexpected" behavior by other drivers, keeping space around you with planned "outs" available whenever possible, & knowing it's what you DON'T see that causes most incidents - you've got plenty on your plate to pass on in the learning to drive phase.

Cheers

#2,211 ·
Thanks Sailor. All good points and advice. I will definitely teach defensive driving. I grew up in Massachusetts so I learned "offensive driving".

As well as this car accelerates and handles, I find myself being less defensive. Not dangerous but I can definitely get into traffic quicker than in my old 2006 Malibu (which my 20 year old son has now).

#2,208 ·
If it was Me... I would not give a 2012 Ford Focus to my daughter. I got one for my wife and had to take it and get her a safer and more reliable vehicle. But if your daughter has never driven before it will be easy to train her to move her foot slowly from the brake to the accelerator pedal. Just tell her the transmission needs a moment to engage before she stomps on the gas. And do not train her to "accelerate around the corner" as we all were with good old torque converter transmissions.

The only problem I see is that if she learns on a Focus she'll think all cars perform that badly and shake and grind and shudder with the clutch slipping. Also, My wife never liked it that she could not see well out the back. So I took the 3 large sized head rests out of the back seat, but we seldom have back seat passengers.

That's about it. I have a good repair (for the moment) and watched the seal repair video. My advice is that if you have ANY clutch slipping (shuddering they call it) OR grinding of gears noise, take it back for repair.

Be warned however, that they are instructed to tell you first that it's because of the way YOU drive AND "the Focus will "learn" the way you drive and (presumably) adjust itself accordingly. Nonsense! Total nonsense!

#2,209 ·
ON THE OTHER HAND: Of the five Focus drivers I was able to stop and talk to since I bought the car and had problems with the transmission, not one of them had the same problem and loved the vehicle.
I gassed up a little earlier today and calculated my mileage at 40.3 miles a gallon and that's not all highway driving.
That's pretty good, but in other ways it's just modern technology gone too far. The owners' manual recommends only changing the oil every 10,000 miles!
Well, I changed the oil at 5k, took it to the dealer for an oil change at 10K and changed it again at 15K.
NOW AT 15,800 MILES I HAVE A WARNING LIGHT COMING ON WHEN I START OUT SAYING IT'S TIME FOR AN OIL CHANGE! DAYAMMMMM!!!

#2,214 ·
OK Got your message. The 2012 book says nothing about oil change interval except, "No more than one year or 10,000 miles. Therefore I mis-interpreted it in a way. So I changed it about every 5,000. If not for that in the book I would have probably stuck with 3,600 miles like with every other car I ever owned.

What I'm saying is, I don't know if this handy dandy computerized oil change warning light comes on with time or mileage, or what. But what I'm thinking, being a low-tech old guy and all... If I had waited for the oil change warning light to come for the very first time at 15,700 miles and two years after purchase, it probably would have voided the warranty. Who knows? Maybe that's part of the plan! I hope not!

I perceive that they think that they have to warn people about when to change the oil because they think people no longer have any mechanical aptitude or knowledge about cars and internal combustion automobile engines, and are unable to determine when it's time for an oil change, because most schools have dropped industrial arts and auto shop from high school curriculums, in favor of computers. :(

#2,219 ·
Just wanted to let all of u know my focus has 33,400 miles and guess what it has been bogging out and vibrating the whole time we have owed it. I think mine is definitely broken in.Same thing goes I have been told it's "normal" I was driving it today the engine light came on and it started bogging out so bad it almost caused me to get into an accident.I took it back to the dealership and now it is reading all kinds of transmission codes and they have to replace several solenoids and they are getting me a rental car.Not sure if that's really gonna fix the problems with this car after doing the research on it.Just Becareful focus owner's because as of right now there's no recall until people start getting hurt I guess.

#2,221 ·
It's probably going to take some people volunteering to get hurt before the recall gets going. May even take someone "taking one for the team" and getting killed. In fact, if we find a whole family to get killed in one of these Focus death traps, the world will take notice.

I suggested a few months ago that someone start a campaign to get the Focus transmission fiasco on 60 Minutes, or 20-20, or some similar news show. I think that's going to be our best bet initially.

Still sucks that Ford and Getrag haven't the slightest clue how to fix the crap joke of a transmission we were all forced to purchase since no dealer stocks manual transmission Focuses. And Ford still has no way for a customer to go to a dealership and specify exactly what options they want and place an order for a vehicle. GM and Chrysler have that option. Not Ford.

Until we start seeing some front page CNN style headlines for the Focus killing people, I'm afraid Ford isn't going to come up with a fix for the Focus. Maybe they should just rename it "Pinto II".

#2,222 ·
38,000 miles and still Honkin! Not gonna take up for Ford here but I still get the shudder every once and a while and when it happens I drop the shifter into Sport mode drop a gear and nail it. I figure if it flies apart its still warranty as I took the extended 100,000mile option. A few extra $$ but heck it pays. I Love My FOCUS !

#2,225 ·
Hi there,

My car has about 39K miles on it, and it's been doing the same thing, to the point that I'm worried it's just going to stall mid traffic driving, or while going up Seattle hills. I've more than broken the car in so I don't understand why I am still dealing with this.

I was so worried, I asked about the issue while I was getting my oil changed thinking there has to be something wrong with my transmission, and they said there was nothing wrong.

I am no longer under warranty - Is this something that Ford is aware of and can offer assistance on so that I can feel safe driving?

#2,227 ·
the normal warranty covers the power train to 60,000 if I remember right, please check your original warranty and/or ask the dealer.

In addition, ford has extended the DCT transmission warranty even further, its been posted here on a few threads.

You should seek out one of the ford reps who post here and ask them to help you get your case escalated.

#2,228 ·
Ford extended the warranty to 7year 100k miles
In addition, ford has extended the DCT transmission warranty
No, the only things covered by the 14M01 warranty extension are the transmission input shaft seal, clutch and firmware updates. The warranty on those specific items is extended to 7 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first, from original purchase date. The extended warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners. This only applies to 2012-2014 Ford Focus equipped with the DPS6 transmission built at the Michigan plant between August 1, 2010 and June 15, 2013

The remainder of the transmission and engine are not covered by the 14M01 warranty extension. Those items are covered by the original factory powertrain warranty which is 5 years/60,000 miles.

#2,237 ·
VisionPilot - it's a brave new world as far as the computing network goes in these cars.

The earlier Focus models made do with a single PCM (Powertrain Control Module) for engine & trans. with a GEM (General Electronics Module) for all other controlled functions like remote access & lighting.

The latest model (MkIII) instead of having "HAL" in charge of everything has a network of interrelated computer modules controlling the various functions.

ECM, TCM & BCM are the biggies, controlling engine, transmission & body. But then you go on to PSCM, optional PAM and on down the line to everything from instrument cluster to optional individual door control modules. (not including electronic entertainment & services)

I haven't heard of anyone trying to list all the individual computers in the car, it'd be a long list.

On the good side, communication with them for service is through one OBD access port, and one module failing won't take down all functions.

Bad side, loss of electric power can take down everything.

Good idea for a new game though, "name that module" until everything electronic is listed.

Cheers

#2,238 ·
Well, Clutch #3 going in the 2012 Ti today.
Hopefully rev. F clutch and seals will finally fix the issues.

I took it in 3 separate times for the shudder problem, each time they called me and said they cant replicate the problem...WHAT! Found out they were re-flasing the the dct and then going to test drive it. Told them Id be back "tomorrow" and I want to take them for a drive before they flash it again. On the ride, it behaved the worst it had in months, perfect! New clucth inbound.

#2,241 ·
Let me know how the visit goes! :)

...My 2012, at 23,000 miles is acting up again. Jerks on take off. Now I'm a pretty understanding kind of guy and it takes a lot to tick me off. But this car ticks me off. Yea, I've had it in the shop a few times. Looks like it goes in again...
Can you please elaborate on your current concern? Please let me know when your appointment is when you set it.

Hi all,
I have had my Ford since November of 2012 and it has been a nightmare - it is in the shop AGAIN - after they had to replace the engine harness I now get alarms and lights for issues that are not even happening. This is the 3rd major issue, not to mention the other issue that have accompanied the major issue but I will spare you the reading....
Hi there,

I want to look into this further. Can you please let me know your mileage?

Thanks,
Meagan

#2,239 ·
Out Of Focus

Wow! All the posts I've read over the past couple of years in regards to Focus problems. My 2012, at 23,000 miles is acting up again. Jerks on take off. Now I'm a pretty understanding kind of guy and it takes a lot to tick me off. But this car ticks me off. Yea, I've had it in the shop a few times. Looks like it goes in again. I don't care anymore as I'm going to get rid of it next year. Ford will never get anymore business from anyone I know. Too bad. I get a phone call ever once in a while from a Ford salesman wanting to sell me a new one. I told the last one the problems I've had and am having. No empathy. I gave Ford a shot and they failed. My wife bought a Honda CRV at about the same time. 55,000 miles on hers and it has run flawless. I expected the same from my Focus. Didn't happen.

#2,240 ·
help and advice needed with the Lemon Focus 2012SE

Hi all,
I have had my Ford since November of 2012 and it has been a nightmare - it is in the shop AGAIN - after they had to replace the engine harness I now get alarms and lights for issues that are not even happening. This is the 3rd major issue, not to mention the other issue that have accompanied the major issue but I will spare you the reading...
I am looking for advice to get my car issues elevated and possible get this thing classified as a lemon an get a new car. My hesitation is that although the car has had MAJOR issues they may or may not all be related and I have had the car for 2 yrs and with so many issues what happens when it is out of warranty.
Selling it and buying a different car is not a financial option right now. Any insight or help is MUCH appreciated.

#2,243 ·
Originally Posted by Flatusboy View Post
Well, Clutch #3 going in the 2012 Ti today.
Hopefully rev. F clutch and seals will finally fix the issues.

I took it in 3 separate times for the shudder problem, each time they called me and said they cant replicate the problem...WHAT! Found out they were re-flasing the the dct and then going to test drive it. Told them Id be back "tomorrow" and I want to take them for a drive before they flash it again. On the ride, it behaved the worst it had in months, perfect! New clucth inbound.

Let me know how the visit goes! :)
I can already tell you I am very unhappy with the service and quality of work I receive from this particular dealer. Ive bought 2 different Ford vehicles from this dealer...sales department is awesome, but the service dept SUCKS BAD! I honestly don't know why I went back to them this time. They are really close to home, so either getting a ride back, or riding my bike home is easy from there I guess???

IF I keep this car, I will definitely not return to this place for service. It will likely be my last Ford though.

#2,244 ·
Well, there must have been some magic in the transmission (or I really don't understand how the trans is pieced together, which is possible), but my car is "fixed" and they didn't even have to replace the clutch. Somehow the seals were bad and leaking, but the clutch was dry. [scratch]

According to the service writer, they replaced the seals, cleaned "everything", re-flashed and did the adaptive learning procedure...everything is good to go. I truly hope it is, but I have a feeling I will be taking it back tomorrow. Its been taking 2 days to start acting up after a re-flash.

#2,245 ·
Bought my used 2012 Focus SEL from Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Probably should have done more research, but my old vehicle was unexpectedly declared undriveable, so I needed something immediately; the rental fees were climbing. Noticed the funky transmission -- hesitant starts, jackrabbit acceleration up hills -- from the beginning but was told that was normal; the car would adjust to my way of driving. (Having already been on the road for 36,000 miles, I think it got used to somebody else.) Also experienced the rollback, on flat ground as well as hills, but the solution is to press the brake all the way down when stopped (I have a tendency to push the pedal only halfway). After a year, the car started shuddering in reverse, so I read many online forums and was becoming more upset by the day until finally, this recall was announced. Am thankful that special coverage has been extended, because my bills (just moved and the "new" house needs work) have been through the roof (no pun intended). Am hoping the official repair next week will solve the problem and not make it worse. There are pros and cons to buying new vs. used, but that's another discussion.

#2,248 ·
When I called Ford Customer Service, they ran down a list of recall notices, and the one regarding the transmission was #14M01, which I confirmed with the rep. Despite not having a warranty, because the car was bought used (and even if purchased new, it would have just run out), I'm covered by the extension and won't have to pay; however, I'll recheck this when I go in next week. Additionally, the horn blew out this morning (another pun not intended), so that will have to be fixed, too. (A circuit went several months ago, and I lost the interior lights and power windows. Geez!)

#2,252 ·
Is This the End?

My 2012 keeps having serious issues... IT KEEPS DYING.. according to Ford my fuel pump keeps sucking my gas tank into itself and the FUEL SYSTEM need replacing($2300). It Died in front of an oncoming bus.
Today I replaced the lower control arm on the driver side ($245).. a major suspension issue.
Tonight on my drive home it died at a light and when I pulled up to the house leaving a coaster sized oil spot on the ground beneath it... I popped the hood and it looked like a crime scene.. oil everywhere!
I have been in contact with FORD and they basically said I'm SOL... had I been under 5yr/60,000mi (It's 2yrs 69,xxxmi) they would have taken care of it... but I'm SOL.
case number: 5533391
Need Advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.