Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Coolant availability?

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  xwhit3devilx 
#1 ·
Opened my hood today to refill my windshield wiper fluid and noticed (no clue why my dealership didn't) my coolant reservoir is well below the minimum line. Checked the guide to see what I was supposed to put in and it's pretty vague other than a 50/50 mixture. I read something about making sure it's orange, but other than that, no clue. What am I supposed to be refilling this with and where am I supposed to buy it? I haven't seen anything close at any of the local auto parts stores.

#3 ·
Okay, so, VC3B. Any clue where to buy that at other than a Ford dealership or is that the only place? The only antifreeze I can find around here are the "works with all colors" ones and I have no clue if those are okay.

#4 ·
It might seem like its way down but in actual fact, if you can see it in the res, its only down a cup or so...just top it off with distilled water and you will be fine.If you see its down again in a week or so...you need to see the dealer and get checked for leaks.

#5 ·
Pretty sure this stuff is like Ford branded dex-cool; I wouldn't recommend messing with it yourself. I tried adding a little "all colors" coolant to my Focus a while back when mine was running a tad low and now there's a nice layer of gunk in the overflow tank. (Luckily not the milkshake type gunk that would indicate a head gasket issue)

#6 ·
Pretty sure this stuff is like Ford branded dex-cool; I wouldn't recommend messing with it yourself.
Why not just buy it at the dealership?

I agree with the above comment about distilled water. Adding that small of an amount of water won't spoil your mix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.