Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2005 TDCi cuts out

749 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Theop 
#1 ·
A bit of history:
1. Fuel filter changed last year.
2. Second-hand turbo replacement last year.
3. Car will go into safe mode at speeds over 85MPH - always done this.

Over the weekend the car consistently broke down on me whilst moving/driving, no safe mode this time, just loss of all power and switch off. Any attempts to restart the car, the engine turns but no ignition. After 15 or so minutes, the car would switch on again, as normal. Then, break down again.

This is what happens: as I approach 30 MPH, the engine would lose all power, very suddenly (lurching action), and intermittently and very frequently on/off power. Eventually, it gives up and switches off.

The AA chap mentioned worn fuel injector seals as a possible cause. Someone else mentioned the water pump is at fault.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

#3 ·
Another symptom of what may be the problem is that I'm also getting some exhaust fumes in the cabin - not enough to be a major issue but just enough to make me want to open the window! Not good. The AA chap said something about this being a consequence of the injector seals failing? Not sure...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.