Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Snorkel Delete

2M views 2K replies 358 participants last post by  BKmk3 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: This thread started based on other dyno work I was doing at the time. Let me clarify the fact that this will not increase power if you have the OEM filter installed. You MUST have an aftermarket filter in order to see power gains! Also, if you have a closed-end filter then you need to do this for power gains as well!

Edit: In the following posts/pages you will see how to cut and/or remove the shroud that directs air to the radiator. There is no data to confirm or deny possible gains by doing that work. It is something that I had initially done on my vehicle prior to having created this thread. You do NOT have to do this to achieve the gains from the snorkel delete/drop-in filter!

Edit: Added dyno charts at the bottom.

A few people have asked for a quick how-to for this, so I'll try to post up something visual. I don't have my snorkel anymore to show you, but when you pull back the black plastic you will see the difference between my pics and stock.

First you must pull the four push-pins out of the plastic where it attaches to the radiator support (just forward of the two intake runners) Also, I would slide the hood release out of it's holder where it makes the 90° bend. This will help you pull back the shroud.

After you pull back the shroud, you will see the snorkel on your car that is not in this pic. There are two push-pins on the drivers side and another push-pin on the passenger side. They are a little difficult if it's just you, fyi.

After you remove the snorkel you will see the plastic piece that keeps air directed to the radiator from under the whiskers. I only cut my drivers side (evidenced by the fingers), though others have cut both sides and some have even cut the whole top section. The only way I know to remove this (so far) without cutting is to remove the entire bumper cover.

Hopefully this helps. I would've set my snorkel in to show, but it went the way of the circular file. This is a mod that would never need to be reversed because incoming water would have to travel vertically 1-2" to get in the plenum, and dealerships won't be popping the top cover to verify it is installed. At a minimum, the snorkel must be removed for the additional hp/tq of an aftermarket drop-in air filter.

Edit: All of these pics are with the front of the car on the bottom. Sorry, that's just how it came out.

OEM-

Snorkel Delete/Drop-in-

Same car, same dyno, same day.

Sent from my stupid phone.

Edit: Add 2016 video by ChalupaJones

As promised, here's my snorkel delete video filmed by my lovely wife.
https://vimeo.com/164179828

I hope this helps you guys out! If you have any questions hit me up!

See less See more
#280 ·
^ This. Also keep in mind that our cars have adaptive learning, so any time there is a change that affects AFR it will start trying to re-learn parameters and optimize itself for the environment.

#287 ·
Pretty much what he said. If it makes you feel better After I installed my steeda cai and did the snorkel delete my car ran rough for the first few minutes, even the first few miles down the road and not just at idle. Eventually it smoothed out but it was bad enough that I was concerned. Very few have experienced this but I'm just giving my account of post modification to the intake tract.

#281 ·
Looking at a ST air box after we remove the snorkel, the resonator box under the air box where the newmission hose would go and just seal the hole we have an 2013 ST air box only piece missing is its snorkel which is just a one inch flair. It doesn't go though the rubber flap. Might go to home depot and check out a few things connect two hoses from the snorkel tubes down to the grill cover that the newmission cuts and use something like conduct threaded ends and barbs plastic of course to attach the hoses. If it works I'll try to post pictures.

#283 ·
sekazi, did you notice a difference in the note of the car when you accelerated? I found that mine has a more of a growl. But no real change while idling...

#285 ·
Noticeble

I remove my snorkel absout two weeks and try eather lid on and lid off with lid on feels restrictive like air is not getting there fast enough now lid off air is comsing from all placesyes theres hot air in there but ones is out from a red light or just getting out from parking its breathing way better plus im gettin a univer al heat shield I will let you guy know how that works take care drive fast but safe

#286 · (Edited)
This is what I did after removing bumper to re-install rubber air dam with the snorkel delete remember old school ram air. Putting the bumper back on I looked though the headlight opening the snorkel area gets its air from around the headlights so there was this dimple right in front of the snorkel opening so why not but learn from my mistake it is a little off the the left so if you do this start from right a little and grow from there, and before someone says something about cutting the straight rubber seal that runs along top it is about a 1/4 inch from sealing against hood anyway also removed the resonator box from bottom of air box and sealed it. This leaves the air dams for the radiator alone. I did notice that the area in front of the tire where tube CAI kits go is sealed up tight seams like the ones that seal the engine compartment off and leave filter in same area will get a lot of air around headlights lots of openings around there i can put my arms though... LOL

Cut

#289 ·
Got the K&N drop in filter the other day put it in with a little bit of a problem getting the disk part the seat in the grove and the dealer striping the two screws next to it didn't help since they are the only ones that checked the stock one. Did the long drive to work today got 48.9 MPG @ 70 MPH that is what I use to get @ 60 MPH temp was 95 too so I would say it went up 5 MPG with the snorkel delete drop in K&N and opening up under the hood like in the old days.

#291 ·
Yes, I went to a specialty performance auto store to get mine.

#294 ·
Wow, that is a good deal! I got mine from autoanything for ~$48 delivered.

#296 ·
Drove though the worst down pour in years last night 40 mph on interstate a lot going slower could only see 20 feet in front and deep puddles almost stopped car in tracks, through water over hood big spray from semi's going by at around 45 mph checked air filter when I got home, home made snorkel had some dampness but tubes, box and filter were dry, So water can't get in or just lucky.

#298 ·
In all fairness, the Injen isn't a CAI. When you remove all of the marketing hype, the only 'true' CAI is the AEM which relocates the filter out of the engine bay and low down from the heat in front of/next to the radiator. All of the rest are SRI's either with or without a heat shield. Both Injected and RDC are designing/testing cold-air intakes similar to the AEM, but until then there is only the one.

Every intake has a pro/con list and none of them are actually 'bad'. I'm currently running the Steeda (which I really like), but I honestly miss the linearity of the power delivery of the snorkel delete/drop-in. Unfortunately, it doesn't look anything more than OEM and that won't help at a car show.

Edit: As for water getting into the box, it is virtually impossible to do without either driving into a body of water or intentionally trying. Water would have to climb vertically about 2" after going past the whiskers and do it at a rate faster than the box can drain. Even with the Ford Racing snorkel, you would pretty much have to be trying in order to get enough water in to cause hydro-lock. But trust me, I did the same checks just to make sure[thumb]

#299 ·
^ this.
I have the MTX-75 and the trans pretty much covers the entire bottom of the engine bay and if that's not enough, I have the skid plate (not sure if standard or with 201a) so it's highly improbable to ever get water there. However! I went through a car wash and ended up looking in my engine bay and EVERYTHING was completely soaked and it had me nervous about the whole idea of an exposed filter. I am not sure if it is fords fault for shotty work on placing of the seals or what

#300 ·
I can say after one fuel up there is pretty much no difference in MPG as of yet. I got 36.1 MPG on my last fuel up and if I did not top off fuel up 6 I would have gotten very close to that then.

The car does run smoother though. Now only if I could force the traction control to stay off. That is the only other thing that bogs the engine. They have it way too sensitive.

#303 ·
I take back what I said about the noise; it is different and a bit more "throatier" than it was with the snorkel. This piece's primary purpose must be noise reduction as the ST doesn't have it. I notice the noise between 2-3k.

#304 ·
I just did mine two days ago. Same as you, lost one clip forever the the abyss of the giant FoFo grill, lol. I also cracked one hole on the snorkel, not intending on re-installing though. I don't even have a K&N drop-in yet, and still notice better throttle response off the bottom. It's more snappy and less lag. Once I get the K&N in there should be much better. I don't notice too much of a noise difference, unless I open her up then I can here the intake-like noise of her sucking in wind like a turbine. Quick and (somewhat) easy DIY mod that's super cheap and effective!

#311 ·
I'm not sure if this question has been asked already? Can you do the snorkel delete with the K&N filter, and the new mission ram air mod? Is anybody running both, or soy you have to choose one or the other.
Yes it has been done the new mission mod only benefits highway driving if you drive mostly local around town it would show minimum gain if any which one of the members did and took it off now then I drive 95% highway and will be testing it out with my snorkel delete. Now then at 100 mph+ who knows...

#312 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I did the snorkel delete and the new mission mod at the same time. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't cancelling out the benefits by having both at the same time. I am driving mostly highway and its HOT here in Arizona, the engine is accelerating/idling smoother, and much more responsive compared to stock. I can answer your question about the 100mph+, No problems with both mods, engine stays smooth through the whole power band, and cruising at [xx(][xx(][xx(] it was still responsive. I feel that it's pushing enough air to really benefit from a quality cat back exhaust system now.

#315 ·
Just a friendly reminder, discussion of speed above the posted speed limits in non-race threads is not tolerated. I've edited the posts, but future violations will result in infractions.

#317 ·
Just did Snorkel Delete & Green Filter...

After reading all the threads on here about Snorkel Delete with a drop in and the benefits for a cheap mod I finally went ahead and did it. Got a brand new Green Filter Off Ebay for $50 shipped to my door which I couldn't pass up! Anyways removing the snorkel was straight forward and very easy Just pulled out the 3 push pin clips and that was it very simple. Then I went to install the new filter and as I pulled out the paper one I noticed It had no clamp. The Green filter came with a clamp which once I seated it properly in the box I moved the clamp as close to the MAF as possible and snuggled it tightly without going overboard on tension and making the clamp dent the filter opening. My question is did you all used the clamp that came with the filter or just throw it on without and put the lid back on the box? and if you did use the clamp how much tension did u put in to it? Thanks for all the info I love the sound of the car now cant wait to get it on the highway!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.