potential newbie owner - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
robertnj63
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114089
What I Drive: 2004

FF Reputation: 1 robertnj63 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
potential newbie owner

Hi Guys,
Put a deposit on a 2004 SVT 4 door with 109,000 miles. Selling price from ford dealer was $6700. I am buying it for my son to learn how to drive a manual. He is not a hot-rodder and is fairly gentle with his car. You can check the car out at www.seabreezeford.com. After i put a deposit down i found this forum group as well as other websites. I am now getting cold feet and considering cancelling the deal. I have no idea if the timing belt was replaced...and no idea if it is the original clutch. I can potentially be looking at a $2000 service charge within 6 months of purchase! As you can see in the pics, the car is very mint and completely stock. I just get very apprehensive considering the car is no longer made and parts can become scarce. The car drove perfectly fine and everything felt tight, but service issues are now making me nervous. I sent a letter to the dealer notifying them of cancelling the purchase unless timing belt service is done. Our second choice was a mint 2004 nissan sentra ser-spec v. Any thoughts or guidance here? Also, my other concern is finding a competent mechanic that would be familiar with the svt focus. I have been reading how everything SVT requires specialized knowledge and unique parts not common to the regular focus.....oh such decisions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68677
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 nvmaddog Good Standing Member
I agree it looks clean and stock.

I would make damn certain the timing belt has been done though, that job isn't cheap unless you do it yourself. With the mileage I don't know if this is the best car for your son to learn on, mainly because of the price.

These cars can be really finicky, usually requiring a good deal of maintenance after 100k.
2002 Red 3 Door SVTF #2458
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
VAfromMN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20592
What I Drive: '13 Focus ST & '04 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 9 VAfromMN Good Standing Member
I don't know about finicky, but I don't abuse mine. Of course, I don't baby it either! It sees daily trips to the red line, and I'm at 278,000 miles. Did the first change of the timing belt at 150,000 and the 2nd at 255,000. If it's a Ford dealer, he should be able to look in the computer and tell you every bit of maintenance that was done by a Ford shop. If not, take the VIN to a Ford dealer and find out what he can tell you.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
very important timing belt be done otherwise not much else to worry about parts are easy to come buy
Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Rob's 02 SVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107528
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus SVT (for sale soon)

FF Reputation: 1 Rob's 02 SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Any car with a timing belt (OHC engine) needs to have the timing belt replaced no later than 100,000 miles so that is to be expected on the nissan sentra as well. Clutch is dependant on how the car was driven of course. I have an 02 SVT and a friend has a sentra spec-v and I honestly do believe the SVT is the better made car and better driving car.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
FocusHero
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100491
What I Drive: 2003 Black Svt

FF Reputation: 1 FocusHero Good Standing Member
Svt looks and handles a lot better the spec v are just thrown together and made with really cheap parts

SVT or die!!!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Personally, I wouldn't by an SVT for someone's first car. You can get a similar non-svt focus for a third of that price. but maybe that is just because I am a self-proclaimed cheapskate.

But if the choice is only between the SVT and spec-v, get the SVT. I drove the spec-v when I bought my focus new in 03. It did not compare well to my sedan, handling wise....

You can find good mechanics, and there is a ton of great info on this sight. Just get the timing belt taken care of, and the SVT should be a great car.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
dardack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114151
What I Drive: 2003 Red SE Wagon PZEV 2.3L engine

FF Reputation: 3 dardack Good Standing Member
I agree, you can get a focus Manual, less mileage, for much less.

At a dealer, I just paid 3200 for a Focus Wagon manual, 03, 86.5k when I bought it. Few weeks ago. That's a wagon, the SE sedan he had was like 3k.

Srsly in the northeast, the amount of rust on this (meaning lack thereof) is amazing to me. I just looked at a diff 04 wagon 90k, they wanted 4.5k, but underneath and other palces was way more rusted. Totally worth the 2.5hr drive to threw 2 other states to get.

But yeah, if it's to get around, first manual, I'd recommend the sedan or w/e. Way cheaper. Also, yeah if it's not the 2.3L dura engine, check the timing belt has been replaced if it's 100k ish. The 2.3L dura has a chain, so previous chains have lasted me the life of the car, 250kish. 00 Focus I replaced belt at 150k.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Loeffler
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103255
What I Drive: 2010 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Loeffler Good Standing Member
SVT if that's the choice, but i'd have to agree about the focus thing too, deffo would be my choice, not just for price but because it's great for entry.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If they can throw in the timing belt job with the price, or a heavily discounted rate, it seems like a decent deal.

The Spec-V has its issues as well. Something about parts of the pre-cat in the exhaust manifold will come apart and enter the engine. Meaning, a blown motor.

A car that's nearly indestructible is a 2002-2005 Civic Si. The motor uses a timing chain so no worries there. Everything else is pretty strong. A Mazda3 would be a good choice too, as would a 2005+ Focus.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->