Focus Fanatics Forum banner

will a resonator instead of a muffler quiet my exhaust?

7K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  heelflip101 
#1 ·
Right now I have a race header, pace setter cat back " don't say it", and a flowmaster 40 series, it idles really deep. At full throttle it sounds like my muffler is full of rocks. Will a resonator in the place of the 40 muff make it sound better?

#4 ·
I have been switching in mufflers to make it rattle less but nothing seems to help. Yes its a cat delete race header. I have been wanting to put in a high flow cat for a while put can't afford it yet, and my dad probably won't weld it for weeks after it ask.

#6 ·
Thanks QQQQ, I wonder if it will fit? Are you saying remove the muffler and substitute a resonator for the muffler, or put in a resonator in the strait portion just after the flex? If in the strait portion, I might have a problem fitting it behind the pace setter resonator.

#7 ·
Im thinking QQQQ was thinking you didnt have a Resonator. I personally am going to be welding in a 22" magnaflow resonator in place of the normal 14" one, that should reduce the raspy rocky sound signifigantly. I got it on ebay 2.5" stainless magnaflow resonator for $65 shipped.. thats my suggestion..

Cut out the old resonator and replace it with a longer one and keep the muffler.

Jason

#8 ·
yeah cherry bomb is da bomb! lol $20 cant go wrong

#9 ·
Cut out your resonator and put in the 36" long cherry bomb.That pacesetter resonator is just an empty can.Trust me,this works.Even with my blower,my car is quiet enough to drive downtown and not raise an eyebrow.Without the bomb,I had the straight pipe Harley guys giving me the finger it was SOO loud.I wouldn't think a little 4cyl. could make that much racket....

#14 ·
My setup is definetaely the more expensive way to go. I paid 75 bucks for that big ass magnaflow resonator and about an hour labor to mate it to the smaller resonater and weld it in, but IMO it was worth it. It is as quiet as stock up to around 3k rpms, then it is only slightly louder than stock except for that lovely roots style supercharger whine. It is the quietest "straight thru" style (ie: no chambers at all) exhaust I have heard on a car. I lost zero power putting the resonator on.

I thought about the cherrybomb, but decided i wanted even quieter than that.

I just got tired of having a loud car, I used to love it, but when I slapped the superchargers on (JRSC, then Powerworks) every time i upped the boost, it doubled the loudness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.