Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Has anyone else had their 2012 Focus Tranny rebuilt?

19K views 111 replies 40 participants last post by  slybarman 
#1 ·
Ford just authorized a tear down of my transmission as a next step in figuring out the problems I'm having with my car. I was just wondering if anyone else had this done and what the car was like when you got it back. Was it better, worse, or no different?

#4 ·
I seriously doubt it's the MTX-75 if that's what your asking, most likely it's the DCT. If this is about the 5 speed standard (aka MTX-75) then this would be the first time I've heard something of this magnitude that it would need to be rebuilt.

#5 ·
I agree that it is most likely about the DCT. However I do recall reading about 1 or 2 people that had syncro issues with the MTX-75 and had some sort of work done.

So no harm in confirming the information first.

#6 ·
Ford just authorized a tear down of my transmission as a next step in figuring out the problems I'm having with my car...
I'm glad to hear that things are progressing at your dealership, Dylan1970. Keep me in the loop moving forward and let me know if you need any additional assistance. :)

Crystal

#8 ·
My build is august of 2011. Had the trans clutches replaced per recommendation of Ford due to hard shudder at low RPM's in June of 2013. So far, so good. Shifts very smoothly without hesitation, shudder, and noise. This may have been the way the car behaved in the beginning, but not sure since that was a long time ago and I've had many little problems with the tranny. For now, just hoping its not just a dream.

#12 ·
It's a DCT....the tear down is complete, just waiting for the parts and praying for a good ride for the first time since I bought the car. It's encouraging to hear that some people had good luck after parts were replaced, it's been over a week but my dealership has been great including setting me up with a loaner free of charge.

#13 ·
Sorry to disrupt the flow of 'good' responses thus far...

Had mine rebuilt last month after slippage happened due to the faulty seal issue. Have 12,500 miles on it. Waited almost three weeks for parts...and since getting it back...it is NOT as smooth nor does it idle well anymore. Took it back twice...and all ive gotten is the 'it's normal' blah blah blah.

Negative equity is the only thing holding me back from looking at a different model.

#18 ·
Well, my DCT is starting to make weird noises driving at slower speeds, especially when the transmission is in 6th gear. I have to use sport mode to eliminate the use of 6th gear so that it doesn't make weird grinding noises in the transmission. Just shy of 14,000 miles on this car.

No worries, my 2014 5.0 will be on the lot by the end of this month (trade in). The Ford dealer can worry about it. I'm done with the DCT, it's crap. Love everything about the car except Ford's faulty DCT. Supposedly, my car was the latest revision when it was purchased. Guess not.

#19 ·
Well, my DCT is starting to make weird noises driving at slower speeds, especially when the transmission is in 6th gear. I have to use sport mode to eliminate the use of 6th gear so that it doesn't make weird grinding noises in the transmission.
It is the clutch assembly (not the "gearbox") that makes the "grinding" noise.

#20 ·
I bought an extended warranty 125,000 mile 7 years bumper to bumper $0 deductible there is no way I'm going to risk my car being in need of huge repair and not be covered by the end of my loan I figure its a protection for my credit and finances I can't afford a costly transmission rebuilt or being out of a car I also get rental if it needs to be in the shop I love my focus and really don't want to look at other brands I have owned a 2007 focus 2011 and now a 2012 I loved my 2011 but needed a family mover and traded it for a 2011 Ford Expedition I am loyal to Ford gave my family and I a chance getting car loans we have now bought 3 fusions 4 focus 1 fiesta and 1 expedition since 2007 I have never needed any major repair thank God!

#22 ·
Hi everyone,

Reach out to me with your information if you're experiencing transmission concerns; I want to do what I can to help. In your PM, please include your VIN, dealer mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

#23 ·
My dealer (the one I bought it from, not the one I took it to a few weeks ago) is going to replace the clutches and whatever else they do when they open a DCT up this Thursday.

If the DCT problem can be solved, I'll be a happy camper. As much as I bitch about the Focus, I really do enjoy driving it....I like looking at it too!!

#24 ·
Hi Timbo64,

Let me know how the appointment goes on Thursday. If you need me to jump in and assist, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll check out options to help. :)

Crystal

#32 ·
So, after 35 days in the garage I finally got my car back today and so far it is perfect. I can honestly say that today was my first good driving experience in the 13 months I owned the car. No rattles or shudders....no grinding, it shifts smooth as silk. It kind of makes me wonder if the real true fix for all the transmission troubles is to just do a tear down and rebuild....it worked for me....so far at least. When they tore it down there were a lot of damaged parts, almost a full page of the invoice. Everything from bearings, rails, all the shift forks were replaced, both clutches too....it was a huge fix. So, if Ford has to apply for a bailout from the government it was probably my repair that broke the bank....[rofl]

#34 ·
So, after 35 days in the garage I finally got my car back today and so far it is perfect. I can honestly say that today was my first good driving experience in the 13 months I owned the car. No rattles or shudders....no grinding, it shifts smooth as silk...
The seals and clutches were replaced on my wife's Focus about 12K miles ago. It took a long time and many complaints about shuddering, grinding noises, etc. before it was done. It's been fine ever since...
I'm glad these concerns were resolved for both of you. If you ever need my assistance in the future, Dylan1970 and tigertiger, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Crystal

#33 ·
The seals and clutches were replaced on my wife's Focus about 12K miles ago. It took a long time and many complaints about shuddering, grinding noises, etc. before it was done. It's been fine ever since, but will soon hit 36K miles.

If I could get what I owe on it for trade-in, I'd get rid of it. Unfortunately I have no confidence it will last to 100K+.

#39 ·
Thanks! I'll let you know how how the repair goes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

#43 ·
Well I dropped the car off today and have a 2013 Escape Loaner. I'll keep you all updated as I'm updated.

#45 ·
Well they flashed the tranny software and say it drives ok....but we know that fix only lasts a week to a month. So after a discussion with the service department on Friday, replaying all of the issues I've had with the transmission for over two years, they pulled some strings with Ford and a Field Engineer is on his way this week to look at my car.
If the Engineer authorizes a tear down and proper fix I'll keep the car, if not I'll move on to something else by the end of September. I really hope they will do the right thing and stand behind their vehicles.

#47 ·
Well, the tranny rebuild has been unsuccessful.....there's a surprise right? The problems are starting to show themselves again and I don't know what to do. I've got almost $4000 of negative equity in this car, plus my credit isn't real good. I guess I'm going to have to become the first fatality of this faulty transmission because I have no way out of this car. Ford really screwed me good, I guarantee you I will never drive another Ford again....they shoved it up my butt once but I will not let it happen again.

#49 ·
What happened? Grind, shudder, hunting, or all of the above? Been 2 months with my rebuild and all is well compared to what it was before. I can hear a slight grind only once in a while if I start off slow. Still switching gears smooth. However, it is still a DCT that can never feel like a slush trans and I realize this limitation. Just concerned about what started first for you after the rebuild and how soon after.

#48 ·
Well Ford won't do any further work on the transmission at this time; so I now have to look for a new car. Dylan it really stinks the problems have started coming back. With your issues not being solved by a rebuild anyway, I doubt my problem would have been solved either.

#50 ·
Lemon law it and make them buy it back why take a lose for something they didn't develop right I read some where it is a casting problem in the housing needs more webbing reinforcement around seal so it allows seal to leak of course can't find it now go figure.

Mine ran perfect from day one until they did an update with out asking always no problem found normal operation went to another dealer just before 36,000 replaced clutch, seal, two quarts of trans oil, radiator cap (coolant leak), still can't find vibration. Funny thing I asked if they changed oil since it only holds two quarts they said no once it is out of power train and I get it in my shop if vibration is in trans its lawyer time.

#52 ·
Mine is the same way but the grind is much less pronounced. But the shifts are smooth and no more hunting. When going around a turn and slowing it would get so frickin confused, not any more. Shifts quickly into the correct gear. If it stays like this I will not mind so much. Also, the loaner they gave me was a 2012 Fiesta with 19 k on it which more or less behaved like my rebuilt trans does but I was happy driving it as a change to the Focus. Keep us posted.

#53 ·
The problem is slowly becoming worse, the hesitation and shuddering is coming back too. I don't know where to go next, I'm over $4000 in negative equity, I live paycheck to paycheck, and my credit isn't all that great. I know what kind of response I'm going to get from Ford if I call them, the only thing I know to do is to try and get another car from a buy here pay here dealer and just turn the Focus back for repo. I'll deal with the consequences down the road I suppose, it won't be the first car I ever had repossessed. If anyone else has any better ideas please feel free to let me know. It's just that I can't afford to retain a lawyer and try to challenge Ford and their big time lawyers, hell they will pound me into the ground like a nail. I'm just so frustrated and upset, I can't believe that I got taken across like this. They have turned me against ever buying a new car again, damn I'd rather ride a bicycle than drive this car right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.