Focus Fanatics Forum banner

cant seem to find 2 inch led fogs anywhere help please

3K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  badazz2010focus 
#1 ·
I want to convert my lower fog lights to ultra bright and effecient led's the fog lights are roughly 2 inches right?

#3 ·
I don't see the point in putting in LEDs that will be nowhere near as bright as yellow hids that are highly effective against fog. ultra bright or not

Even with my 8k hids in my halo headlights and 3k hids in my fogs on my voltage of my car never drops below 13.9 and that is even with my 800rms system hitting lows.

#4 ·
Hey chase, I have 5k's in my fogs and I also have 5k's in my uppers and with 35 watt 5k's in my lowers I cant see [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] LOL. I wouldnt be going cheap either if I where to convert to led's they'd be something from rigid industries or oracle lighting. We dont have a hell of alot of fog around these parts either LOL.

#5 ·
That's pretty odd. Halogen to HID is a major difference in output even with the scattered light. You have any pictures?

Yes, I still troll the 2nd gen even I sold my MK2

#8 ·
Wow I typed a long response yesterday to this thread but FF crashed out and it didn't post lol. The just of it was:
LEDS are not going to come near the output of your hids. The reason your "fog lights" are ineffective in fog is because you don't have fog lights... anything higher than 4k is essentially pointless in the fog and can do more harm than good. Its like driving with your brights on which we all know your not supposed to do in fog.

Many members will call your lights ditch lights because all they actually are good for is lighting ditches. Even if you went to leds that were as bright as your hids and spent all of that money because they wont be cheap, it would be pointless and your fog driving would not improve at all.

If you want lights that improve your line of sight in fog then get a set of 3k hids. Yellow is the most effective color to cut fog. If you just want your fog lights for looks then 5k+ is fine... but if you want them to do what they are meant to do then go 3k.

#11 ·
go here:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

Go down to paragraphs 5 and 6
In bad weather condition where the "visibility" is poor the human eye can see further through the fog with the yellow hued light because our eyes can see that color much better.

This is also the reason many people where glasses with tinted yellow lenses for other uses such as target shooting, gaming, heavy computer use, and many other things. because it allows the eye to work better without as much effort or strain.

And here is the actual evidence of the tests
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/49444

http://www.lightingresearch.org/programs/transportation/pdf/SAE/2001-01-0320.pdf

#12 ·
I was speaking specifically to fog, like the article. I do agree in other situations, and think back to my grandpa's drafting table with a flourescent light and incandescent in the same fixture. Things were incredibly clear to read. But in fog the droplets are too small so "scattering of light by fog is wavelength independent."

#13 ·
"However, it occurs only when the droplet size is equal or smaller than the wavelength of the light, which is certainly not the case with ordinary fog, rain or snow."

How does he come to the conclusion that this is not the case with "ordinary" fog?

Also, he only states that yellow light "can" improve visibility incertain situations.

I'm not aguing, just trying to make an informed choice as well.

#23 ·
21 as of November 2nd. I have already worked in a corporate IT department as an intern for 4 semesters even though the limit is supposed to be 2(=

They also have a job waiting for me when I graduate Next Fall with my Bachelors in CIS. The starting salary for IT even at this small company is 65K a year.

I was happy with just getting my undergrad degree and the jobs I could get with only that in my field.
But then I found out that it will only take me 36 hours to get my Master in Business Administration, which I can do while working for that company because they are here in the same town as my college, because all of the graduate classes are at night and online(=
therefore I can get my Masters while still getting paid 65k a year in the process without inconveniencing me at all.
Keep in mind I will graduate with that Masters at age of 24.
With a Bachelors in CIS and a Masters in BA I would be more qualified for IT Management positions(such as IT project manager, IT Director, and Chief Information Officer) than even the current people that have worked at this company for 15 years, due to specialized training in management as well as my vast knowledge of not only the programming aspects of IT but also the Database and overall IT Business Systems.
CIS is the cross between business and technology and we bridge that gap which most companies have now created dedicated department for this.

I was speaking to the marketing professor that I'm an assistant for, her son attends another college near here and he graduates this month with only his Bachelors in CIS.
He had interviews with Microsoft, Exxon-Mobile, Google, and two other companies last month.
The companies want our major so bad that they paid for all of his expenses to fly to interviews.
While in the interview with Microsoft they offered him a starting salary of $100k a year, 50k in their stock shares, and a sign on bonus of 5k.
He told them he still had other interviews to attend, they were like "wait, wait ,wait, what will it take for you to stop going to interviews."
They ended up agreeing on making his sign on bonus 15k if he would stop going to interviews lol. Dude signed on for the job and hasn't even graduated yet!

I apologize for the book here but this is something I'm very passionate about and as you can see by the salaries of my field it is hard not to be lol

#26 ·
LED or HID you still run into the parabolic issues just like you do with headlights. No matter what temp you run of LED or HID, they will still over run the parabolic design of the housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.