Focus Fanatics Forum banner

cdbertrand's slow build thread.

47K views 397 replies 32 participants last post by  cdbertrand 
#1 ·
Hey guys[welcome], some of you have seen me around. bought my ZX3 about a month and a half ago and fell in love with it. some say it was a downgrade from my previous ride, a 1999 Infiniti Q45t. she was a beauty and had the power to match. all leather all power sun roof heated seats and a huge ass v8 with 300hp. rear wheel drive i could roast the tires off with, and did. but with the v8 comes the gas mileage and with my heavy foot it was even worse. 14 mpg was kicking my ass. i also blew something in the heads and it was down to 6 cylinders and the japanese motor is hard to work on and expensive to replace. so i sold it for more than i bought it for haha. here's a few pics of her. this thread will progress with my focus and a very slow pace since i'm a full time college student and have 1 job, but hopefully will pick up during the summer. here's pics of my old baby and my new one, thanks for looking and I am always looking for sugestions and welcome all comments good and bad. [ffrocks]

bone stock took it mudding haha nothing at all done to it yet.

discovered PlastiDip and went right to work. did my center caps and gas cap.

finally got the time to do my whole wheels and decided to paint my brakes as well.

after that i put my E3 spark plugs in which boosts my mileage pretty decently but no power gain i can feel.

put my new sony xplod dash unit in[headbang][headbang]

debadged it, just gotta get that damn sticker off.

and just saturday night took my gf to prom in my freshly cleaned foci.[cheers]

and me with my car, kinda a close up.

this is all for now, not much progress but its getting there. more to come soon. next upgrades will be sony xplod 12" subs, a K&N cai, and a magnaflow catback. just need the money of course haha.[thankyou]

See less See more
#2 ·
have you looked at the fswerks exhaust and intakes? i don't like k&n i had em in the beginning... i would check RE subs great bang for buck.. but looking good dude!

#3 ·
Plastidip was definetly a good place to start. lol The first mods I did was a FSwerks CAI. I would highly recommend buying a CAI used. lol I bought mine new, which I felt like was a waste of money. I mean yeah sure the CAI works great and I love it, but its just a filter, pipe, and a heat shield. The biggest change for me was the CAI and header. They both led to better mpg and power. MPG is all I really care about in modding. lol

#4 ·
thanks guys, yeah i'm looking hard for a cai. fswerks the best? i was gunna get a typhoon k&n but i'll keep looking. don't wanna spend too much though you know?

#5 ·
we all understand lol but yes bang for buck i recommend doing the SVT header, exhaust.. then frpp kit to lower just a bit, and fswerks intake...i think youll be very happy with the outcome..

#6 ·
so svt exhaust? i price the magnaflow at 400 with shipping. still looking. header will come later. intake for sure though. i'lll look into it. typhoon is under 200.

#9 ·
yup find the svt exhaust.. not going to be easy but works well with everything. the zetec responds quite well with it... check the BST here and on focal jet sometimes people post some

#11 ·
thanks alot guys and thanks for feedback. i looked at the fswerks cai and it looks very fragile. idk i just like the look of the cone filters. i do want a used one for cost purposes and to know it works. as for exhaust sixshooter will it fit on my zx3? and why you getting rid of it man? just wondering. but i might be interested and you're not all that far way haha.

#17 ·
i bought an fswerks cai new...im very pleased with the product but like others have said its a little spendy. Find one used and it may be a better deal, but fswerks really is the best imo

#20 ·
thanks alot guys. and yeah the e3's boosted my mpg pretty nicely. not sure on power though.. 25 bucks for 4 haha. and pyro i will check them out man. if i change the plugs i might as well do the wires lol thanks.

#21 ·
I have some wires I will send to you for free if you pay shipping. You would have to change the stock ends out though to the new wires. lol I got ripped off when I bought them. A guy told me they fit our car and I believed him. They didnt at all. The ends are different and need to be switched out. Just thought id throw that out there. :p They are red btw.

Now when I need plugs again I will go with e3s. Whatever I had now was supposed to boost mpg, but did nothing.

#22 ·
daang, that sucks. yeah i remember hearing something about how the prongs on the E3's are machined are supposed to be a lot better. i was looking into the taylor wire but i wouldn't want to order a universal one because.. well you know.
but i definitely need better mpg. i'm only getting 28.5 [thumbd]

#23 ·
i found some on taylor for the zetec. there's 2 types 8mm spiro pro and the thunderbolt 8.2 lol. let me read some more. both under 50 bucks. hmmm

#25 ·
exhaust, intake, i need subs lol. upgraded battery eventually, maybe even an svt header. but with this comes money and i don't have any of that atm. so i'm painting stuff for now.

#27 ·
yeah i've noticed that too. you me and zx3bmx. i also have (installed by previous owner) the pieces that shoot out your wiper fluid. the part facing the front has a light and yellow tint. i wanna get these working and paint the back part black. and get yellow tint for the fogs to go along with it. it'd be different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.