Focus Fanatics Forum banner

$450 Fuel Vent Hose P0442 Code

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Templar 
#1 ·
Just to start off, I'm just ranting...please don't read more into this than I'm pissed about warrenty crap and steep prices.

My check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago so I checked the code...got a P0442...small evap leak. So, the first thing I did was change the gas cap to a genuine Ford gas cap cuz I knew that was the first thing that they would tell me and I wasn't going to waste $75(general fee for them to even LOOK at your car) for them to tell me that.

A couple of days later the light came back on so I changed a couple hoses that didn't seem to be in such great shape in the engine bay and reset the computer. P0442 came back a couple of days later so I decided to bite the bullet and take it to Ford (not that I hate Ford, but the prices are a little steep at the dealership). Of course they came up with the same code and hooked up the test set (which I didn't have access to or I would have done that part myself, too). They told me that I needed a plastic hose from the Evap Canister to the gas tank.

Then they told me that my warrenty wouldn't cover it...so...I called my warrenty people and asked wtf? They said I had a different coverage than what I had (Silver instead of Gold coverage), but that I should be covered. Soooooo, I had to fax my copy to their company (which I don't have a fax machine....I know...details, details, but just one more hassle).

After getting access to a fax maching I faxed everything required and Ford held my car for an extra day. Then they still said I wasn't covered.....wtf? The guy I just talked to the day before said I should be good to go. Anyway, after about 20-30 minutes of arguing with this guy, I figured I was going nowhere so I just figured I'd see how much Ford wanted for the repair.

This part is pretty much word for word. Me: So, how much is it going to cost me for you to replace the evap hose. Ford Rep.: Well Sir, it's comes out to $450. Me: Uh, you're kidding me, right? FR: Uh, no, sir, $450. Me: I'll get back with you but don't do anything yet. FR: You got it, sir. I'll wait for your call.

As if he really expected me to call him back and give him $450 FOR A FREAKING HOSE, of course, that includeds labor which is the majority of the cost. Anyway, I went to pick up my car and asked him to order me the part (not the usual kinda part you can pick up at Auto Zone). $38 and change for the hose.

I changed it this morning, didn't even have to drop the tank completely, but I did change the fuel filter while I was under there. It was a PITA, but only took me 2 hours to change. So I figure I saved myself about 400 duckets.

To sum up...don't trust what the 1st warranty bastard says cuz after all your work to get it settled, it may still not be covered and don't let dealerships (not just Ford) take all your money. Those bastards....now let's just hope that they troubleshot the problem right and that I don't have to change out any more parts.

Sigh, end of rant...thanks for reading...sorry the read is so long, just needed to get that out there.

See less See more
#5 ·
Foci_Fosho:
The warranty people said that since it's not a "hard" line that it's not covered. They wouldn't pay for it on a technicality. What a PITA!

Tom:
If a chip could turn that code off, would it still pass emissions? If so, that would be well worth the price of the chip. I want in.

#10 ·
Usually the sniffer test is for older cars that are not obdII complient. obdII is a very effective way for the ecology department to see if you car is funtioning correctly. Here is washington at least they check readiness monitors and form 01 and up you can only have one monitor not ready.

#11 ·
Yeah, it makes me wonder why they still do the sniffer test at all anymore...not like most cars aren't obdII compliant these days. hehe Probably cuz they know we'd play the system.

#14 ·
THANK YOU CompOrangeSVT for doing the math...I was wondering if anyone would figure that part out...for a second there, I thought my gripes were going unnoticed...hehe...yeah, crazy labor costs...wtf?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.