Idles rough, lights flicker, battery light off and on - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
InfraredZTW
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15867
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 InfraredZTW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Great success!

I installed a 100% NEW Bosch alternator - lifetime warranty - model AL7572N ($216 at Lordco).
IF YOU DO INSTALL A NEW ALTERNATOR - NOTE: You will need to measure your alternator bracket from the car on both bolt positions and manually press the threaded inserts in the alternator flanges until the distance between flanges matches the bracket on the car.
NEITHER BOSCH nor the seller will mention this as a requirement, so word to the wise.

If you don't you will end up like me with a cracked alternator flange upon tightening the alternator bolts. One more trip to one more angry-looking Lordco associate (what's the story dear associate?, ever heard of customer service and words like empathy?)

The Bosch alternator quality is awesome (apart from the threaded insert issue)

I also had to replace the top idler pulley (at a whopping $11) for the accessory belt.

After having fun for about 6 hours trying to put in the first Bosch, i learned my lesson and completely removed the 3 bolts holding the black motor mount bracket and supported the engine a bit, while moving it as far forward as possible. The alternator fit thru the top like a glove.
Record time install: 1hr !!!

I noticed in the process, one of the shops that installed my alternators in the past used the timing belt cover bolt (!!!!!) as a prying point to remove the old alternator. Wires were not attached back and a whole lot of pop pins cracked. (tarzan angry!)
Other things to note: make sure you KEEP YOUR EXISTING POSITIVE TERMINAL FROM THE OLD ALTERNATOR as the new bosch has a larger thread. Also, you will need a flexible head ratchet, a tiny flat screwdriver (for the 3 pin terminal), and 2 inch long socket for the alternator bolts (standard ones or an extension will add 5 minutes of ratcheting)

Car runs great now.
The only thing i noticed is:
- upon a COLD START only - all lights will go from dim to bright about 3 times, then the smart charge kicks in (as shown by the handy batt/alternator tester plugged in the cig. lighter) and slowly comes up to perfect alternator voltage output
- on HOT START - car starts perfectly with no light flicker
- after engine heats up, if i turn accessories on (ac, defrost, etc) the alt voltage drops and stays down at idle.

SO, as a precaution i went to Ford dealer an purchased a Motorcraft original batt (hoping it would be their famous calcium-lead or calcium-silver). It was actually worse (meaning that turning on the ac at hot idle would totally lose alternator output) - ANY THOUGHTS?
I am considering an optima yellowtop, but not sure if it would help my cold start flicker issue, nor confident it will fit without additional bracket kits.

TOTAL cost: $227 + 10(learning)hrs :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
InfraredZTW
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15867
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 InfraredZTW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
testing new profile :)... works

Bookmarks & Social Networks