Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My Eibach Sportline install(PIC HEAVY); SE sports hatch

78K views 206 replies 68 participants last post by  Juicedz 
#1 ·
Just posting the pics I took during my install. Before, after, and along the way. The fronts were a pain in the butt, mainly to get the shock out. The rears were easy.

Before:

My son wanted to be included.

Wheel gaps (before):
Front:

Rear:

Install pics:
Strut removed

Looks naked

I didn't have to remove the top
plastic cover to get to the top bolts.

Stock vs. Eibach size

The red has a nice look to it : )

A helpful tidbit which I wish I had known. The rear springs on our Focus' are too small for tool which I rented (for free) from a local auto parts store. The bolt is too long which causes the top of the bolt to bottom out prior to the spring being fully compressed. I "modified" a socket and used another handy tool to create a thick washer between the bottom plate and the end of the bolt. There may be a tool better suited for smaller cars, however, if you go my route and rent one, you'll have to do something similar. You can kind of see in the pic below.

Rears installed and looking sharp

Rear, stock vs Eibach

Dust boots, old vs new

See less See more
#47 ·
I think the overall ride quality is great. You feel the big bumps and pot holes more for sure. Go slow over those and your good. But as far as overall, this is my daily driver and commuter car, and I love it.

You do sacrifice some ride quality obviously, but its not bad. My wife thinks its good too.

#53 ·
Thanks man. You won't regret it.

awesome thread love the comparison pics. did you just get lowering springs or coilovers? dumb question but im jw
Just the springs. Coilovers are too rich for my blood. This is my daily driver/commuter. I've put 10k in just 6 months. If I had plans to autocross it, or take it to the track, I would have waited and saved for coilovers. But the sportlines make it hug the road and look great for $200. Not a bad investment. IMO. (Rep welcome ; )

#54 ·
I just recently bought a 2012 with 5500 miles on it since i got it i put about 100 - 150 miles on it. I was wanting to lower my 12 SE Hatchback, Sports package.

Sorry if this sounds strange, But i was just woundering. Did you use your stock shocks? And if so what kind of mileage do you got on your car now? I alway`s heard that its a bad idea to lower a car on stock strut`s is why i ask.

If you did use your stock strut`s. Do you think the 5000+ miles on my car would be ok? or am i going to have to replace the strut`s before i lower? I do understand you said it did make the bumps a little more noticable, But id o try to avoid potholes and stuff as much as i posible can. and if i do got to hit 1 i go slower over them.

P.S.
Your car looks nice, Mine is going in for tint on monday. Hopeing on ordering the exhaust and aem cai this week also

#55 ·
Sorry if this sounds strange, But i was just woundering. Did you use your stock shocks? And if so what kind of mileage do you got on your car now?

If you did use your stock strut`s. Do you think the 5000+ miles on my car would be ok? or am i going to have to replace the strut`s before i lower? I do understand you said it did make the bumps a little more noticable, But id o try to avoid potholes and stuff as much as i posible can. and if i do got to hit 1 i go slower over them.

P.S.
Your car looks nice, Mine is going in for tint on monday. Hopeing on ordering the exhaust and aem cai this week also
I did use the stock struts. I have about 10k now with no issues. Still love the sportlines. The 5k on your struts will be perfectly fine. It won't make any difference. And with your current driving habits you will find the sportlines to ride very well. Go slow over speed bumps an your good to go.

Thanks for the compliments. I love how she looks. I recently had the front tint removed and lightened from 20% down to 40%. I like it better now.

Hope that helps.

#56 ·
Any plans on new pics, Brad? I'm curious add to how everything finally settled out because your last pics are right about where my pro-kit springs sit currently.

#58 ·
Okay I finally got some update pics taken. Please forgive my filthy car. She needs a bath badly.

Sorry for the sun flare
right rear
right rear
right front
right front

You cannot stick your finger straight under the fender with out hitting the tire. So they are almost tucked. I still have never scraped, or bottomed out, or rubbed while turning.
The car settled really nicely.

I still havnt had the alignment checked. They want $100 to do it and I still would need a camber kit to adjust the rear. So it will likely cost me $200+ to get it back to factory alignment. I will wait a while as it rides fine as is with no pull.

I want 18"s bad.

#73 ·
how do you remove it? i just ordered Sportlines and also have a hatch.

#74 ·
I have read through all of this thread. but I have 17s with 225/50/17s, should i have any rubbing problems?

#90 ·
Wow that would of saved some headache. I unbolted it from the top.
I still don't really get how those two bolts look from the bottom of the car to hold the shock to the rear shock tower because the shock goes through the rear tower and is bolted from the inside

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.