Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Easy DIY functional CAI

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MineTwine45 
#1 · (Edited)
This subject has been beaten into the ground and I know that everyone has their different takes on what should be done for getting air to your engine. I'm bored though and now I wish I'd have done this months ago.

I've been datalogging and bugging Tom way too much (sorry :( ) and my intake air temps have been really high, obviously because I had a cone filter on my MAF taking in hot engine air. I really don't like the stock air snorkel setup, so I decided to make my own simple solution to bring in ambient air without using the stock snorkel.

TL : DR: ultimately I replaced the cone filter with a stock airbox and a 3" flexible tube (some autozone spectre crap, you can use any tube I'm just lazy) and cut out the bottom of the airbox to fit the tube in.

Here is what I had before:

I traced around the end of the 3" tube's rubber end on the stock airbox, then used a drill to put a bunch of holes around the circle until I could break out the plastic where the stock snorkel connected. Really you could just use a hole saw or something else but it's not hard to cut out. After I got the majority of the plastic out, I used a cheap dremel to smooth out the hole so it would fit the rubber end of the tube.

Solution for plugging silencer hole is up to you, I did it with a piece of plastic and a bolt+washers+super glue.

The flex tube basically just gets zip-tied in a couple spots and I routed it to the front left of the car, right down in line with the front lip. Intake temps stay down where they should be now!

I was lucky enough to find a clean K&N drop-in in the junkyard so that was a freebie with the stock intake box (I threw my original one away long ago lol)

Much better:

See less See more
#4 ·
Is this kinda like a DIY iceman intake? Just replace the snorkel with bigger tubing?

#5 ·
I actually had an iceman setup on it, so that tube is the iceman tube. I removed the iceman snorkel and focus sport shroud, put stock box back in and drilled it out to fit a larger tube.

#7 ·
I believe I'm getting more timing than before, since intake temps are like 60 degrees lower lol. The car feels massively better and my bottom end has returned. My mileage I don't know yet but I'm sure it would be better if I could keep my foot out of it. Top end hasn't changed which is good.

#9 ·
Did you get tuned? I highly suggest it if not. Found out my knock sensor isn't working lol. Looking at the data logs has shown me so much about the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.