Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Massive Crower cams installed 2009 focus, VIDEOS!!

29K views 73 replies 27 participants last post by  felixthecat 
#1 ·
So here are a couple videos of my 2009 ford focus ses. I had Massive's crower stage 1 cams installed over the weekend. A member asked for a video so I uploaded them in another thread, but thought I would show everyone in case you were wondering what they sounded like etc.. Performance wise, I noticed a large difference, pulls waaay harder off the line, Massive said they add around 20whp, I don't know if I saw that large of gain, but it was definitely noticeable. I am currently running the fswerks tune, but it has not been tuned for the new cams yet, so I will most likely see even more power gains once my car has been properly re-tuned by Tom. As far as install went, the mechanic said they dropped in fine. I had to adjust the idle to 900rpm to prevent it from stalling, it idled crazy rough, still is rough but a lot better. Just a quick note, my car is an automatic and i forgot to turn traction control off. Below is a list of my engine mods. Enjoy!

Fswerks, CAI,HEADER,STEALTH EXHAUST
Massive Crower stage 1 cams
Fswerks tune (before cams)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpVYVlP0rdM&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzwhyf_UXpE&feature=youtu.be

See less See more
#3 ·
im glad you post, i am saving to get me some cams, if i buy them what esle do i have to get to install them, like do i have to upgrade other thing in order for everything to be right, and it dont seem hard to do but how difficult is it cuz nothing is as easy as it seems.

#6 ·
Don't need anything besides the cams and the timing tool kit if the shop doesnt have one. I did not install them so I do not have any idea how hard it was, but the mechanic said it was pretty straight forward. I have the stage 1, but if you do the stage 2 cams than you need to other things like the spring kit

#12 ·
I'll try to throw one up sometime this week.

Interested to see gains, as I have the same mods and would like to know the true power increase....
Same here, I need to tune it first, there is not a dyno in my city besides the local chev dealer who holds a horsepower challenge in the summer and allows for free dyno's. So I plan to bring my car by and see what kind of power I am putting down. I will be hoping for around 170hp at least.

#19 ·
More duration & lift w/ a tighter lobe center vs the oem in a N/A car.

One look at the stock cam lobes vs the even stage 1's are enough to tell for a N/A car= More duration & lift. Turning up the boost is great if that what you have.

#21 ·
I will throw a video up as soon as I get my tune finished with tom, since it may not even idle bad once he has tuned it. Just waiting for SCT to get back to us with a problem we encountered, so far very bad customer support from SCT....
So far no problems with the cams yet... car runs well. Also I am changing my oil today, any recommendations? I have royal purple in it right now, but it costs way too much so I am looking for slightly cheaper oil, any ideas what may be good?

#26 ·
Yeah, Tom said he was going to call SCT since they still have not gotten back to him. So we shall see, I still have no word on what the situation is. I did autocross yesterday and the cams seemed to work good without the tune, so im not to concerned about the tune, but hopefully I get it done soon.

Quick question, I was thinking for my next upgrade the CFM under drive pully. Anyone have this installed and did they feel an increase in power?

#44 ·
Hey guys, sorry I have not been on here in a while. Got some pm's about the cams, i thought i would update you all on them thus far. So I have had them since May, the car runs fine as of right now, it still idles a bit rough but not to bad since i changed the stock idle to 950rpm. The car will stall on idle now and then, maybe 2-3 times a month so nothing major and only when the car first starts. As for a tune, I have been through hell and back trying to get the car tuned for the cams. Ran into a million issues with sct software, my datalog lists are super out of date and will not show anything that me and tom need to tune it, had serious issues were the wrench light on the car would keep coming on when tom sent me new tunes. It had to do with the files being corrupted or somthing, not sure. We have spent hours on the phone with SCT, pretty much in the end just refused to help us and said it was our problem. As of right now I pretty much gave up on tuning the car for now, since it does run ok, im sure it would be a lot better with a proper tune. I am currently runing my Fswerks tune, which was made for all my other mods, minus the cams. I am going to contact Tom soon I think and see if I can get things going again. The major problem is that I do not have a wideband which limits what I can really tune for, since I do not have the $$$ to buy one right now (at university). Do you guys think there is any danger to running these cams without a real tune for them? They are only stage 1

#45 ·
As long as your timing is good, your a/f ratio is acceptable, theres no pre-detonation and you don't over-rev I don't see why it would be an issue. But thats just my .02

#49 ·
The tuning issues were due more to my car having a weird ECU number, it did not really have anything to do with the actual cams. I also do not have an A/F guage so that really limited me in what could be tuned. I am going to get one for christmas and then start trying to tune my car again, I will let you guys know how it all goes after I get the proper tune and guages in my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.