Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Suggestions for 03 SVT Focus H-Stock

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Super 7 
#1 ·
Id like some thoughts/suggestions on my set up

Im planning on running H stock.
Im planning on putting Dunlop z2s up front and in the rear my tires from last year.
I know i need shocks/struts all the way around what should i get? Koni yellows?
and the guy before me put on a aem short ram intake so ill need to swap it back to stock... which i dont have
and possibly exhaust (I have a leak right now)
Any recommendations on anything else?
Or should I goto street prepared? How much would it cost to be competitive?
Thanks!

#2 ·
Koni Yellows will be great.
if you're running Hstock(Rcomps) then you will want better tires to be competitive. if you are running HSR(Hstock road tire) then those tires might be okay locally, but you should really get the best tires all around that you can afford. i'd even say get better tires over any performance part, including shocks and struts and work on your driving. tuning your suspension IMO should come after you have gotten a handle on your car and you know how to drive fast. that way you can dial in what you want the car to do depending on your driving style.

please don't go to street prepared, the car doesn't have much for that class and you need semi deep pockets. if anything run STF, I think the SVT has got a shot in that class.

ask a bunch of questions here, a lot of people have run that class and others.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, ive been autocrossing since i was 12.. 6 years total now. 4 years was FJA karts.
So getting a feel for its not a problem ice racing it i got 1rst by over 8 seconds in my class.

and yes i would be in a street tire class no race rubber.
scca in muilwaukee

#6 ·
how long have you been autocrossing the svt? i'm sure it's a ton different than an fja kart..
for one, it doesn't rotate much without a rear sway bar, so you'll want to upgrade that. I ran a 23mm bar and it was just right for my driving style.

#7 ·
I ran RTF in my SVT last year. Koni Yellows, New SVT springs, Eibach 25MM Rear Bar, Porterfield R-4S pads all around. I ran 2 different tires. 215 RE-11A's and 225 Rivals on stock size wheels. I liked the RE-11A's more. I really wanted ZII's instead of the rivals but I drank the cool-aid and BFG had contingencies.

I don't know of any other performance shock/strut available for the focus with stock sprincs so I think thats your only easy option. A rear bar is a must do IMO. My first event I only had RE-11A's on and it was horribly boring. Rear bar made driving alot more fun. I also came from an FMod so it was even worse so I'm sure you'll feel the same way coming from a kart.

#8 ·
My H-stock setup I had was pretty stout. I had GAZ shocks and struts, available from batinc.net, and I loved them. I tried Konis as well, but the GAZs seemed to have a larger range of adjustability than off the shelf Konis. With those, either an Eibach or Steeda rear bar, and you're pretty much set. For light weight wheels, I was running with a set of O.Z. Utraleggeras that were modified to make them legal to run on an SVT in stock class (I might be looking to sell these). Throw in a K&N filter, lighter exhaust, and the tires you want, and your done. If you do go with Konis, re-valving seems like a must.

#15 ·
I thought for stock class you could only change front sway bar? And last year to make it feel more like a kart we cranked up the tire pressure in the back...
And that sounds like a good idea over the koni yellows ill take a look at them, and i want exhaust but dont want to drop $500

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.