Focus Fanatics Forum banner

BFG Rivals for STF?

5K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  ManiacalZX3 
#1 ·
So I just bought some 16x7 traklites for this coming season. Hopefully my first full season. I'm wondering which tires you guys and/or gals would recommend. I know each has it's pros and cons but I don't know what each of those are. I figure 225s or 215s. I guess my options are BFG Rivals, RE-11 or RE-11A?[scratch], Direzza ZII unless you all have other suggestions. Please a little help or advice would be awesome.

#4 ·
I ran RE-11A's AND Rivals last year. I liked the RE-11A's better despite all the Rival hype.
I've seen alot like the RE-11A's but I obviously have no experience with them. Whats the difference with RE-11A and RE-11?

I think the 225/45ZR16 ZII would work best for you. It has a wide operating range. They work pretty well in hot or cold conditions, as well as wet or dry.

Rivals are a great tire, but they lack "feel" and aren't great in really wet conditions. They also work pretty well in hot or cold. The only 16" size they offer is a 225/50, which is pretty tall.
Yeah I was hoping for something smaller than a 225/50 so the ZII might be a good choice. I read somewhere that one of the popular tires loses grip with surface temps above 90 or 100 degrees. Anyone know which one that is? I have to avoid that with the summers Iowa has.

#3 ·
I think the 225/45ZR16 ZII would work best for you. It has a wide operating range. They work pretty well in hot or cold conditions, as well as wet or dry.

Rivals are a great tire, but they lack "feel" and aren't great in really wet conditions. They also work pretty well in hot or cold. The only 16" size they offer is a 225/50, which is pretty tall.

#7 ·
For a 16x7 wheel, I wouldn't go any bigger than a 205. Anything wider and you are going to loose feel and responsiveness.

#8 ·
I agree that a 205 would be better on a 7" wheel, but that eliminates some of the best street-tires as options. Personally, I would rather have the best tire in what might be a less than ideal size... rather than the best size in a less than ideal tire. That said, your point holds true in regards to feel and responsiveness. However, if I had to choose one street tire that works better on a narrow wheel than others, it would be the Dunlop ZII. They have a slightly stiffer carcass/sidewall than some of the other options, which helps reduce lateral movement of the tread. The Yokohama AD08R has a similarly stiff carcass, and could also work well in this case.

#10 ·
They would be fine as DD tires as far a handling characteristics and whatnot. Just remember they will wear faster than a "regular" tire due to how soft they are.

#13 ·
re11's (not re11a's) are a great all around tire. countless trophies came to me on the Stones. my z2's in the 225/45r16 will be going on my daily driver bmw and new re11's not A's will be on my 16x7.5's (205/45r16). But I did win Milwaukee Match (for STF) and 6th place trophy at the championships on the z2's. the Z2's did overheat and get very greasy on day two at Nats 2013, in 100+* and 100% humidity, single driver car. overheated 1/4 into the FIRST run. (should have ran my Stones on day 2, probably would have been top 3)

#14 ·
From all the feedback I'm getting I would say it sounds like the RE11's are the way to go, or the Rivals. I like how the ZII sounds but heat gets 100+ every year, and I don't want to risk the loss of grip from the heat. I did see that the RE11's come in 205/45R16. Or both Rivals and RE11's tires come in the 225/50R16. I take it no one cares for the Kumho's or Hankook's?

#15 ·
I take it no one cares for the Kumho's or Hankook's?
The Hankook's are a big question mark right now. They're phasing out the old RS3, and replacing it with a new "version 2" RS3. The new model will look the same as the old one, but will have a new compound that's supposed to improve traction in cooler and wet conditions. (read: higher silica content.) I'm holding off on purchasing tires right now, in hopes that the new Hankook will arrive before SCCA's April 30th deadline.

#19 ·
BTW, the new "version 2" Hankook RS3's are up on T.R.'s website now. Hankook is also planning to offer contingency at national events, which is a nice bonus if you think you can place well enough.
Yeah I saw that but, it said they wont be available for a while. I was think of getting the RE-11's since they are available now. But I'm not sure if I want the 205/45R16 for the shorter tire with less rotating mass and better torque/acceleration and stiffer sidewall since its shorter, or the 225/50R16 with the obviously wider tread width for that added grip. Again, I am inexperienced with this stuff so feel free to point out the flaws in my thoughts or why I should choose one versus the other.

#21 ·
225/50r16 are too tall to be competitive with a 2.0/mtx. Also 225/50r16s rubbed the wheel wells front and rear. I am going with Re11's in 205/45r16, again.

#23 ·
fenders are folded in, wheel well liners modified. I have to check what offset wheels they are on but the 225/45r16 Dunlop Z2's rubbed a few times too but that was with all four spare wheels and tires, jack, tools, etc. in the car. I'm on H&R race Springs and Koni yellows.

#24 ·
Interesting, copy and pasted from SoloMatters FB page.

"Originally posted by Jonathan Lugod-

Dunlop ZII - Discontinued

These tires are now discontinued. I do have pretty good stock on most sizes at this time but they may sell out before the end of the race season. If you need these you may want to purchase them early.

The Replacement which is currently available in Japan is the Dunlop ZII Star Spec. It will not be available here until November/December. This is why no more standard ZII's will be produced as they want to sell out.

GET EM WHILE ITS HOT!"

Now I kinda feel like a lemming for buying them last year, oh well they got me a championship trophy so they do work well for the most part. Interested in what the new ones will be like for 2015.

#26 ·
Dunlop ZII - Discontinued

GET EM WHILE ITS HOT!"
Now I'm thinking bout these!! Too many choices![?|]

fenders are folded in, wheel well liners modified. I have to check what offset wheels they are on but the 225/45r16 Dunlop Z2's rubbed a few times too but that was with all four spare wheels and tires, jack, tools, etc. in the car. I'm on H&R race Springs and Koni yellows.
I got the FRPP and KYB, so a similar setup. But I may need to use mine as DD sometimes, rubbing is a concern. But I thought the ET45 would help with that.

Having driven both I prefer the MTX75 over the SVT's Getrag, I find first gear taller in the base and second gear, with a proper tune and tire diameter, will get you to 70mph. I haven't used third in a long time, even at Nats.
This makes me feel better, Thanks.

#25 ·
The wheels I use for competition are 16x7 Enkei ES6 4x108 16x7 ET38. A little less aggressive offset and they (225/50r16) may clear the fenders and quarters with the lips folded. But the overall diameter of that size would not be good until you are making some serious power. I would bet EPrepaired trim or SMF before I thought of going that tall. In a perfect world where I had money to burn, I would be on 15's with 225/50r15 BFG Rivals, with my skinny 205/45r16 BStone RE11's for rain.

"'01 ZX3 with a 5 speed. I'm sure the SVT has a better 2nd gear."

Having driven both I prefer the MTX75 over the SVT's Getrag, I find first gear taller in the base and second gear, with a proper tune and tire diameter, will get you to 70mph. I haven't used third in a long time, even at Nats.

#27 ·
Hankook RS3 V2 will be available in 205/45r16 just to add to the choices.

#29 ·
Well guys, I got some 205/45R16 RE-11's. Installed them on some 16x7 Motegi traklites. WOW! The car is a beast with these tires. Got them on 2 days before the first autox. It poored rain all day and the tires were amazing. Got 12th raw time and 7th in pax times.

Unfortunately, my other cars are having a strange string of flat tires, plus I haven't had the time to swap wheels back to the old ones so I'm stuck with RE-11's as DD tires. [facepalm]

Thanks for the advice guys, I'd still be staring at tirerack's tires right now without you guys. [ffrocks]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.