Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To setup my Automatic Ford Focus for Autocross

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Super 7 
#1 ·
Hi,

Is it possible to setup my automatic ford focus for autocross?

details
-year: 2008
-automatic transmission w/ option for manual shifting (sequential)
-1.8 petrol

I just want to have fun but somehow be a little bit competitive.

Thanks!

#7 ·
Run your tire pressures on the high side... around 40psi, more if your tires can safely take it. Also marked the sidewall around to the tread with white shoe polish to see how it's contacting the surface, allowing you to make adjustments to the pressure. Remove EVERYTHING from the car; spare tire, jack, cover, floor mats. Obviously loose objects (including floor mats) must be removed from the passenger compartment, but in the trunk if you pull out the spare tire and jack you save a little weight. Just don't pull anything bolted down (like the rear seat) as this will probably bump you up a class. If you can do it and stay in the stock class, use a drop in reusable air filter like a K&N. I would also run it with a quarter to a half tank of fuel; again, it saves a little weight. Superstition says to do an oil change before hand, though I doubt it will make a difference.

More serious stuff depends on the regulations; some might let you run modified exhausts as long as the header and cat are stock, others might not. I think you can generally upgrade the brake pads but you can't run slotted rotors in most stock classes. The Focus is a nice car for auto cross though; when setup right cars like the American SES model handle really well, it's just trying to get more power from them.

#10 ·
I would ensure that your stock cooling system is functioning properly and has fresh coolant.

The transmission fluid, especially, should be checked if you have more than 30k miles on the most recent fluid change.

I'm not certain on the EU models, but if you have hydraulic power steering, it would be best to change to fresh power steering fluid.

Make sure your brake fluid is fresh and clean and that all four brakes are clear of any air bubbles

Front tires should be set around 38-40 pounds and the rear tires should be at least 2 pounds more than the fronts. This will help you rotate the rear of the car for tight corners and helps to induce some lift-off oversteer for faster corners.

I also recommend you leave the spare tire and tools in and make sure they are secured down. Some people prefer to remove them for weight savings, but they forget about weight balance. You will need that weight over the rear wheels for better balance.

If your rear seats fold flat, I would say to fold them flat and secure them down. This brings some weight down for a lower center of gravity.

All of this won't do much. It'll still drive like your car, but you'll be able to have a little more fun at the limit with this kind of prep.

#13 ·
I feel it depends on your setup.

If you are staying in the stock class ... which the focus is quite competitive in. You are allowed to add shocks. Down the road I would look into some aggressive shocks like the Koni Yellows or KYB AGX adjustables.

For the tires pressure, I have found that if you have around 4-5 PSI difference between the fronts and backs you can rotate the back even more. For me, on 16s with 225/50 tires, I put 36 in the front and about 30-31 in the back of PSI. I can rotate my backend much more with that setup.

And many people are up and down about the jack and spare. I do agree with the fold down seats.

I fold down my seats but also take out the Jack and spare, though the balance will be off, it's better to help the back end come around more.

Rotation is a key in AutoX and the focus is notorious for being an understeering car, so if you can get that back end light enough to move around quicker, you can pull off quicker times.

Other things to do, bleed your brake fluid a week before your AutoX. Not everytime, probably once every 2-3 events, depending on how aggressive you are on the brakes.

If you can get a good rhythm of gas, hard brake and back to gas quickly. You can pick up another half second on your time.

Good luck and take photos of you ready to AutoX. Always great to here more and more people jumping in.

Ray

#14 ·
A typical autocross run lasts a minute. In my opinion, your transmission won't overheat too mush in a minute. A dual clutch automatic. That is a manual type that shifts automatically? I'll bet using your up down lever will work well and be fun. I've never used one, but it sounds cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.