Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Autocross Tires for 2013

33K views 158 replies 24 participants last post by  jmichene 
#1 ·
Im curious as to what tires everyone is going to be running this year. I have my order in for a set of the new Direzza Z2's in 215/45-17 which should be in around the first week of February.

A close friend of mine happened to run into a bunch of Hankook reps from Korea at a nudie bar in Orlando [giddy], and they started talking tires and apparently the Z2 will end up being faster than the RS3. Here's to hoping that they are that good of a tire [headbang]

#2 ·
Faster on what size car? With which driver?

Sticking to RS3 because nothing else can handle the heat of 12 runs in a 2900lb car on a 90 degree day while still being in the hunt for ftdi on a 50 degree day in November. And the feel at the limit is much more inspiring than Z1. I was an early adopter of RS3 (back in 2010 when tire dinosaurs roamed the earth) but want to let others try the Z2 on heavy cars first...

#4 ·
I'll be sticking with my "Magic Tires". They just keep getting better and better.

I loved the Z1s on my Focus and hated the XS. I've seen a Focus do well locally on RE11s. He was only using those because he got them really cheap.

What class are you running mike?

#7 ·
Well, what I have found over this past season was that the RS3s are the best during the heat season. When they get hot, they are sticky. I have that set at the moment.

But when it is cold or rainy, forget it. Slip and slide we go.

The Direzza Star Specs on the other hand are quite nice in the wet and cold. Not bad on grip.

But the Toyos feel even better in the cold and wet over the Direzza's for me.

So, really, I have found there is no perfect all year tire. That's why some people have like 2-3 sets becuase of weather changes.

I am looking for another set of wheels and tires this year to have one set for rain and another for the heat.

I will also be sticking to my RS3s, but am anxious to see the results of the new Direzza IIs coming in February.

Ray

#8 ·
#18 ·
Car set up and road course are other variables.

For me, I am thinking about adding more Camber up front to help.

Ray

#13 ·
This year I'm hoping to have the funds to go to some big boy purple crack tires.

Also probably going to pick up some cheap (clearance priced) Z1's for my driving to events and OMG downpour + standing water situations that may come up.

#14 ·
Slightly off topic... but I really want to slap some RS-3s on my daily driver WRX, but the responsible adult in me says you should buy some all seasons.

#21 · (Edited)
#25 ·
Well, I guess it's based on your experience with them.

But many of our AutoX'ers in our region to feel the same. We all love the RS3s in the summer, just have issues with them with our roads and rain here.

But no worries. I am also looking forward to the Z2s though. So, I will probably change up my plan from the RS3s to these.

Ray

#26 ·
Sweetness, the Direzza ZIIs have 225/45/R16!

Since, I am running with the Rotas, the Hankooks didn't have alot of options for 16" wheels.

But these Direzza ZIIs have a few more. Sweet. I am definitely going to get those. But still want to see what the reviews have to say. Besides, I still have a couple of events left in my current RS3s.

Ray

#28 ·
Wow, with 205/50/15s for only 114 a tire, I think I may have just changed my tire plans for this year. Maybe ordering a set of these to start off the season.

#30 ·
Just read the review, super pumped for these. I just bought an 03 zx3 and I'm completely new to the focus game.
Will 225/45's fit with 16x7 slipstreams? Probably +40mm offset
Are there any 16x7.5 rims?

Or do you think I would be better off with 15x7.5 and 205/50/15?

This is for an autox only focus

#33 ·
Shouldn't be an issue. Also, take into account how much lower the vehicle is. Stock suspension, no problem.

A 225 would be a little happier on a 7.5 I would think. Check TireRack for some 16x7.5 wheels.

#34 ·
For reference, I ran 225/45 RS3's on a 17x7.5 +45 stock without issues. I currently am roughly 1.5" lower on intrax springs and koni yellows and still am running that setup (note that I pinched up the inside front fender tab, and on hard transitions the tire has rubbed the paint off the inside edge of the front fenders)

#35 ·
I run 225/50 R16 x 7s +40 with no problem. I like them alot.

But am excited to try the 225/45 R16 with the new DZIIs

Ray

#37 ·
KDWs are ok for a street tire, and if you like the attention the tread pattern gets you. They're just not in the top tier of autox street tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.