Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Which Ford Focus for autocross

20K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  darossi3 
#1 ·
I want to upgrade to a ford focus for autocross. I have previously driven a miata and now run a Saturn SC. But the saturn does not qualify for STF which is the class i want to run in. So I think i would like to get a ford focus, but there are so many ford focus makes and it has been made for so many years and many engine choices. I would like to know what would be the BEST year and model focus an autocrosser would want, and if that choice is unatainable would would be the second choice. What i mean is that a miata has the 94R and honda has the s2000 CR. Does the ford focus has that best make and model year for autocross. Any suggestions would be helpful, i am also researching them myself right now.

#2 ·
ya... 02-04 Focus SVT, since it comes upgraded power and suspension (great handling) compared to regular ones.

#3 ·
SVT 02'-04' or a ST 05'-07' if your trying to stay in a stock class? The ST will have way more TQ down low and everywhere, and the SVT will have great handling for stock. The consensus will probably lean towards the SVT.

#4 ·
That's great,thanks for the quick responses, I am liking the focus more and more, and it has much more aftermarket support then the saturn too. Only thing is i will have to change the bolt pattern to 4x100 to fit the 6ul 15x7.5" rims, which is not a big deal. I already found a couple svt 02 in my area for around 4800$ which is reasonable i think. I hope that the svt has a good alignment range, i love my saturn because i can set the camber to -4 degrees and everything in between.

#6 ·
gievn that you are in Canada you only have 2 options the SVT or the ST sedan. if you want to import you can find 2.3L pzev hatchbacks. the 2.3 hatch is a bit lighter, better gearing, better torque, but you lose out on peak HP (but maybe not in STF spec) lose the big brakes.

there is no adjustable camber on any FOcus, but in STF you can run camber plates.

also, what autox club are you in? I run all the events with the UBCSCC

#7 ·
Remember, everyone, that he plans on building the car for STF. Sure the SVT is great right out of the box, but once you start slapping coilovers, swaybars, etc. they basically become the same car chassis-wise. The SVT does have bigger brakes, but brakes are upgradable in STF as well. So if you're going to build the car to STF specs, get the car that has the best powertrain. The SVT has really good pull between 4500-7000 RPM, but it's only a 2.0 liter with unusually tall first and second gear, which making any low-end grunt basically non-existent. Getting a 2.3 liter ZX3 might actually be the way to go. It would be better on slower, tighter courses for sure, with the SVT having the advantage on the more long legged courses.

Try to get one that's good for an autocross car. And by good, I mean without a sunroof and winter package (w/ traction control). Though the traction control can be tuned out (kinda) in STF, if you want it being in BC and all.

#9 ·
^wise words

Don't totally discount the 2.0 ZX3 either, that's what I was originally shopping for when a mint 02 SVT kinda fell in my lap at a price I couldn't pass up. While the SVT wins the power battle, the ZX3 will win the weight battle. I think any of the Focii can be competitive in STF, each of them will have their own special strengths.

#10 ·
If you are building the car for autocross only i'd definitely go with the 2.3 duratec zx3. the down low grunt is extremely important in an STF car.. the SVT will have it's courses but for the most part i think the 2.3 will have the advantage.
and if i'm not mistaken the 2.3 zx3 is lighter (in stock form) than an SVT. better starting point IMO.

#11 ·
Yup the 2.3 is lighter ... but even rarer to find than the SVT.

I do agree with the low-end grunt, but a bit of tuning and you should be good to go. Get the torque back, lose the top end and competition here we come.

I drive my SVT for STF, and I love it ... especially now that the Civics are out of the class. But to tell you the truth, as many have said before, it's not all the car, it's of course the driver as well. Car helps, but it takes guts and talent to hold the speed through a corner after a tight slalom.

I have taken out the Civics back in standard ST in the years before a couple of times, so if I would have been more brave and setup the car just a bit more better ... I think I would have had them fully.

Good luck on your choice and finding a car.

-Ray-

#13 ·
I have run succesfully for years a stock engine 2001 ZX3 for auto-x. Lots of trophies for this car. Mind you it puts down 109whp on the dyno.

#14 ·
I have been thinking about this for a while. Well, ever since STF was announced. I think my choices would be:

1: 2008 Focus S coupe
2: 2005 D23 ZX3 (2005 because it's easier to get decent off-the-shelf suspension easier than the 06+)
3: Early ZX3 (even lighter than the coupe, but not by enough to overcome the disadvantages IMO)
4: SVT Focus (I don't know any MY differences, so whichever low option model you can find)

Why the S Coupe?

The S coupe was dropped after 2008, the SE and SES models had options, which add weight. I'm guessing the steering wheel buttons, spoiler and the SES fogs are probably more than 30lbs, and the sync system is probably heavier than no sync.

The coupes were the one of the lightest Focii. 2008 coupe (2588lbs), 2005 D20 ZX3 2654lbs (D23s are heavier), SVT Focus 2750lbs. And I'm guessing that the coupes have more to lose in STF trim too. I'm betting those airbag seats are heavy.

They also have aluminum brake calipers for slightly less unsprung weight.

And they have the stiffest chassis; Ford added a dash bar.

So, 100+lbs lighter, stiffer chassis, lighter brakes and the same 3.82 gears as the 2.3 ZX3s. I think that outweighs a 9hp and 18lb*ft deficit.

Would a fully prepped Focus be enough to beat Andy Hollis in his 2100lb (prepped weight) Mazda 2 of doom? I think on a bumpy-ish, open, not-slalom-heavy course, you could have a chance.

Disclaimer I'm neither and autocross expert nor a Focus guru, so if any of this information is inaccurate, that sucks.

#15 ·
lol at your last statement. No worries, that's why we are on the forum to either learn more information or to help others not in the know.

So, you are trying to beat out a really decked out Mazda2 ... we have a real great driver in our division here in Houston, TX ... well actually 2. One drives a very very heavily modified Mazda2 and the other guy a Mini. And I drive my SVT Focus. To tell you the truth, we are all leap frogging each other each month. This year I took them out more than they me, so for the year, I won on the points.

Though the Mazda2 is much lighter than the focus, our power and weight distribution help lots. I haven't weighed my SVTF in a while, but I know I am around the 2700 marker.

If you go with the 08, make sure you get a tune. The last person in our group drove an 08 at AutoX and the tune just killed him, not exactly sure why, but when I drove his car for one of the runs, it just didn't pick up as well as my SVT.

To tell you the truth, it's all about the driver. There is a very fast lady in H-Stock that is beating out of the competition in her VW Rabbit. Very quick. And not very far from us in STF, with out racetires (which they can use in Stock class). She is on Direzzas.

Ray

#17 ·
Andy Hollis was the 2012 solo national champion in STF. I haven't seriously autocrossed in 4 years (about the time I met my wife[whip]). He is the least of my worries. Also, not in my region, so I'm not too worried. Also, I'd bet he jumped on the 2 for the contingency money as much as the performance.

When I get back into autocross (hopefully this season?), it'll be in my SES coupe. I agree with you on the tune though. Drive-by-wire not my favorite.

#19 ·
i like the idea of the 08 coupe. and for even more grunt you could find the ford racing 4.06 final drive. the diff in the mtx 75 could be interchanged for different ratios dependent on engine . (iirc there are about 3 or 4 factory gearsets, and last i remember this wasnt too hard to do) you sir have my wheels turning, which is a bad thing...

#21 ·
These are times from my FIRST ever autocross race. This is my ZX3 with eibach sportline suspension, tune, michelin supersports, intake/exhaust/headers. Im not sure how hard the 911 and lotus guys were pushing, but the times are pretty close. The BMW M3 and S2000 where seriously heavily modified.

As you can see my times were getting quicker and quicker and im confident i could have been in the 44's or even 43's with alot of practice. I was still learning the course/car. The instructor drove me around at 80%(he said) with me in the car (an extra 200 pounds) and got a 45.5 time to put it in perspective. One thing that made my day was him telling me that Foci are some of his favorite cars to drive.. he was all smiles while going around and even said mid corner "man these things are so much fun!". haha. Ok my rant is over :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.