Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Autocross with Auto Trans

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  JonnyBee 
#1 ·
Hello,
Brand spanking new here and looking for some tips.
I'm participating in my first Autocross tomorrow and am wondering what my fellow auto-tranny focus drivers do.

Im running my bone stock 2009 SES sedan. I was initially thinking I'd just stick my transmission in low (the course isn't likey to have any long straits on it) but I noticed that instead of winding first gear out to a nice high RPM it shifts into second at around 5500 RPM. If I leave it in Drive it'll wind it out closer to red line, but I lose out on the engine braking I get in low.

Anyway, just wondering what others here do.

#2 ·
It depends what speed you are at, I don't autocross but when I drive on the canyons I usually leave it in 2 for 30mph to 60 mph, if it drops below 30 mph I usually go back to D.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
It depends what speed you are at, I don't autocross but when I drive on the canyons I usually leave it in 2 for 30mph to 60 mph, if it drops below 30 mph I usually go back to D.

Sent from my ADR6300 using FF Mobile
This is what I was thinking, too.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it wasn't as helpful as I had hoped but I appreciate the attempt. The problem is that in my focus I only have two options for going forward, D or L. There is no selection for 1 or 2. What I ended up doing was just leaving it in L. The course was very tight and technical so it stayed in first gear most of the time anyway.

#7 ·
I have a 03 SE with an auto.
I've found (and my case is different because I have 1 and 2) is that I need to start the car in 1 and shift as necessary as to not redline. The crappy part is that I have to shift back down into first around corners because the car bogs too much in second full throttle, so I play the shifting game but it doesn't seem to affect too much.
I would imagine keeping the car in L would be the best for the on demand power an autoX requires.
Good luck out there!

#8 · (Edited)
Auotcross

Im running my bone stock 2009 SES sedan. I was initially thinking I'd just stick my transmission in low (the course isn't likey to have any long straits on it) but I noticed that instead of winding first gear out to a nice high RPM it shifts into second at around 5500 RPM. If I leave it in Drive it'll wind it out closer to red line, but I lose out on the engine braking I get in low.

Anyway, just wondering what others here do.[/QUOTE]

I`ve been doing autocross for a few years and this is the first year with my 2012 SEL HB. I drive in sport mode with the traction control off and it does pretty good!! I might get to 50mph for about 100 feet or so. I`ll upload my video tomorrow from my last event. Just to give you an idea [race]

Here`s a video of my last autocross event two weeks ago in Bremerton,Wa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbjGS_LzYoI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.