Focus Fanatics Forum banner

deciding on a turbo set up

955 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  paulg127 
#1 ·
Would it be cheaper to buy a whole kit or piece one together?

#3 ·
That really depends on how much of the piping you are going to do yourself and how easily you can get it tuned. Piecing with used parts can have big savings but comes with its own risks. There are plenty of kits out there for a reasonable price so unless you are set on a specific set up or your engine compartment has other modifications I'd look at the kits first. Some of the little parts on a turbo system add up fast

#5 ·
Well I spent a lot less and I made my own kit from the bottom down but I started buying thing like w year and half. Ago I'm just working in the tuning right know but if u don't have the knowledge or the experience I should go with a used one
Posted via FF Mobile

#6 ·
If your looking to make it a learning experience then be prepared to do a lot research, reading, question asking, etc to build your own kit.

You NEED quality parts; no eBay junk. This forum is peppered with people selling manifolds, turbos, piping, etc, etc. Take your time, get the best parts for the best price. Nothing wrong with used parts as long as they are not beat to hell. If the deal on parts seems to good to be true, it probably is. Take a few months coming up to speed on turbo systems in general and all the pieces that make them functional.

For the Duratec, get a quality manifold or make your own (sporadic did this). Get the appropriate size turbo for your goals (talk with your tuner about this). The piping can be made custom (just make sure it can hold the pressure, blown couplers are no fun), any intercooler as long as it fits to your liking, stock MAF will work on most mild boost pressures (add a MAFia for more). You cannot skimp on injectors (minimum Ford 42lb); they can be found used on here. You cannot skimp on tuning. You will be purchasing a XCAL device; and for god's sake find a reputable FOCUS tuner. Many people have found out that just because a tuner uses SCT for Mustangs, GM cars, etc they cannot tune the Focus. Even the best Focus tuners say tuning the Focus is different from other cars. Don't forget the proper gauges (Boost, oil pressure and WIDEBAND Air/Fuel). Things add up FAST.

If your looking to buy a complete kit, including tuning, support, etc....go with the FSwerks kit. You can have it bolted on in one weekend. You must be able to datalog properly so that Randy can dial in your tune. Once the tune is dialed in, your done. You will get 10's of thousands of miles out of their kit.

The choice is yours. If your looking for cheap boost, forget about it. Be prepared to spend a few thousand if you want a kit that can be driven everyday with no worries or issues.

P.S. - I built my own custom kit for my car. Started with the F2 manifold and downpipe and went from there. I have worked on Foci with the FSwerks kit; the quality and fitment are spot on. Just do it right the first time; you'll be much happier in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.