Focus Fanatics Forum banner

my first post need help form the focus gods

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  jeeptofocus 
#1 ·
hello
i would like first to say this is a great board.i have learned some things reading your posts. since i know very little about cars[8] .i got my focus 2 months ago 2001 zx3 s2 25000 miles automantic. i like the car alot and, it is fun to drive.i have a few question i hope some one can help me with some answers.

my first question is there any difference as far as whats under the hood of an s2 compare to just a strandard zx3?

for my second question i am looking to get a focus sport porformance exhaust with stealth system ceramic coating so will i need to get new headers or cataltic converter or is the stock fine?

my third question, i'm also looking to get focus sport wires and performace air filter would any of those upgrades void my warranty or cause my car to fail an emmision test? and how much hp will i gain? i don't becausethere not big modifications? and will this stuff mess up my transmision since i have a auotmatic or is not enough gain to cause any problems?

and in general since this is my first zx3 is there any thing i should know down the line about problems i found about the brakes the second day[eek]

so those are my questions sorry if it is a lot or stupid. i am just starting on my journey in my focus just needing a little advice form some guys who know their stuff. thanks guys cant wait to read your replys.[thumb]

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok...Welcome to FF.

• 1. No, same Zetec engine different exterior and suspension I think.
    2. Stock is fine but upgrading to what you mentioned would clear good gains.
    3. No to fail emmission with intake.........probably a 1-3 hp gain max......no prob with the transmission 'cause it doesn't relate.
    4. Brakes will sqeek.

Also try this link:

Here

Peace.........

#4 ·
for ur first ques. i dont think there is a difference in engines.

for ur second, no. u wont NEED headers or a cat but it would be wise for more hp but u could always get that later on down the road.

three, i dont think they will void ur warrenty. if something happens with ur car, and they say ur mod caused it, they hafta prove that the mod caused it. i dont think it will cause u to fail an emissions. umm as far as hp, not too much cause like u said, they arent huge mods but every little bit helps. it wont mess up ur tranmission. once ur pushin about 150 whp, then start wondering.

four, some people have had problems with their brakes very early so, it wouldnt be uncommon.

#5 ·
well, focus has premature brake wear. you may need to replace your rotors and pads as soon as 25k. they wear unever. normally the passenger wears faster. my inner passenger side pad wore very badly and i couldnt tell it was unever because the outter pad was fine till i took it apart and saw it trashed my rotor so bad i needed to replace it. if this does happen go to www.batinc.net you can get new rotors and pads for about $120 shipped :)

get the FS intake/Wires/catback and see if they will discount or ship for free for you since you are purchasing so much. never hurts to ask :) good choices on 1st 3 mods too. another thing to look into that will help the auto feel better is a chip.

and welcome

btw, its header! its not a v8 only one header.

#7 ·
mac ram air intake is a good mod.. and getting some ford fr spark plug wires 9mm are good. essinger underdrive pulley kit 65mm throttle body all good mods thats what iam up too with my focus oh and a good exhaust system like borla or magnaflow.

#10 ·
The dealer may be hesitant to install any mods to your car, you could ask but in most cases they'll probably say no. If you don't want to mess with installing the exhaust yourself take it to a muffler shop, they will do it. To cut off your old and install your new should take them and hour at the very most. Actually, a good shop will probably be able to finish it closer to 30 minutes.

#11 ·
thanks for the replys so far guys.ok if i change my wires should i change my plugs have 25000 miles on them?and where can i find some good tires i check alot of places nothing just the same old stock tires firestone which is a crap tire . the stock size is 205/50/16 86h

#12 ·
to find out if you should change your plugs, take them out and look at them. There are lots of pics on the internet that shows what a good plug looks like and what bad plugs look like. Or just buy new plugs, it wouldn't be a bad idea since your getting new wires and it's only like $5-15 for a set depending on what kind you go with.

As far as tires go, I've always had a great experience with the tire rack(tirerack.com). Great prices, service, selection and fast shipping. Also you can expect around $80 to mount and balance them at a local tire shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.