Got the thermostat installed with no issue. Drained most of the coolant. I pulled the coil pack to create more room to maneuver. The most difficult part was reaching the lower rear bolt of the coil pack bracket. I did not remove the hoses from the t-stat housing. I pulled the three bolts and had plenty of access. I pulled the old stat, cleaned the mating surfaces, installed the new gasket and stat and put it all back together. Refilled the coolant and ran the car for a while. Came up to temp like it used to.
Have checked the area a few times now after driving and no leaks!
Thanks to those who helped me with this.
The old t-stat was obviously stuck open. I could see light through one side if the orifice at room temp. Seemed to be canted a little and bound up on one side
Got the NAPA stat and seal kit for $9.06. Also bought a gallon of premixed coolant for $6.00. Saved a bundle and everything works!!