Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Suspension Upgrade

18K views 82 replies 34 participants last post by  Phordman 
#1 ·
So, for a long time I've been thinking about a suspension upgrade and I already have the Steeda Rear Sway Bar so my next step would be either springs (steeda probably) or coil-overs. Doing research for coilovers I discovered there's ST ones, KW ones (3 versions), KSport and H&R ones.

I had originally decided I'd go with KSport since they are on amazon and I have gift cards and such but I also realized the KW ones are on amazon as well. Honestly I'm not sure which I should go with now. I basically want the best performance I can get from them.

Those who have installed coilovers, what do you guys recommend?

Also, should I consider springs instead? What are the benefits of either?

Lastly, if I were to go with coilovers (or I guess springs) how should my alignment setup be? I mean things like toe and camber for a good street performance setup.

#3 ·
I would, if I were you, run springs for a drop and not coilovers. I say this only because I see you're located in NJ and the winters there get rough. Coilovers will rust and salt gets in the thread pretty easily.

#4 ·
Whatever springs you do go with, choose ones that are linear and not progressive. They'll handle better, handle more consistently, ride better, and if you're pairing with your stock dampers, your dampers will last longer.

The Steeda springs are good springs. I'd strongly recommend pairing them with the OEM ST front dampers and Koni yellow rear shocks.

#11 ·
Since you're apparently the guru would this be the best setup for suspension performance? Why is this better than coilovers? Be technical, I'm curious :p

Also, how would I go about buying either if the dampers or shocks? Is there anything else I need?

#8 ·
I had the Pro-kits on my car, and they didn't match well with the stock dampers. They were a little bouncy/floaty at the limit. Had the Steeda springs been available when I got the Pro-kits, I would've chosen the Steedas.

Give Steeda a call, I'm sure they'll be able to answer any questions you might have. I'm fairly certain that they are, in fact, linear-rate springs.

Progressive = variable spring rate, depending on spring compression
Linear = consistent spring rate throughout the suspension travel

Progressive springs often ride rougher and bounce more, which will drastically shorten the life of most dampers. Also, at the limit, they often can exhibit unpredictable handling characteristics (snap oversteer), since the spring rate exponentially increases with travel. The increased spring rate can induce an unexpected loss of traction.

#9 ·
Thanks. I spent some more time searching and found a post by SteedaBrandon that answers the question. The Steedas are progressive.

Not sure if you are referring to the one that I posted. If so, then yes. I can assure you that that car at the time I took the picture had our springs installed. I can show you a before picture if you'd like?

They are progressive.
Here's the original post...
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4230519&postcount=85

#15 ·
Seems to be correct.

I'd probably order from Tousley, though. You'll save a few bucks over Amazon, unless you've got Amazon gift cards to spend, or Amazon prime eligibility.

Tousley prices:
AD-1094 bearing - 8.56 ea. (need 2)
AD-1098 mount - 10.80 ea. (need 2)
AST12287 - 44.17
AST12281 - 44.84

Also, I bought my Konis from THMotorsports. They have them for $130 ea. Add their 3% discount code, and that brings them to 126 ea., and they have free ground shipping.

#17 ·
The thing about amazon is, I actually have both cards and Amazon prime... I'm just afraid they're the wrong parts or something like that. They should be right, I think... Lol I actually have $250 in amazon cards on their and i've been trying to find car parts to use them for but like I said, i'm afraid it's the wrong stuff.

#24 ·
It handles really well. When you first get it on it makes a huge difference but I either broke it or Ive gotten used to it because after a while I guess you get used to it... It made the car feel like there is a lot of roll, but mostly from the back to there is some roll all around and makes the rear end feel more planted... Get it!

Zillon, if that wish list on amazon looks right then i'll probably order it today or tomorrow... Thanks for your help mate!

#22 ·
I recently upgraded my springs on the car to the Eibach Sportlines, on the 4 door sedan. Being that it is on the stock 16inch rims, it looks, and handles amazing. I come from the mustang world, which i traded for my '13 F-150, and i am used to using steeda stuff. I ended up getting the eibachs for a great price. The camber is just right, and its not too bouncy at all. It feels close to stock, and sits significantly lower. I had steeda ultralites on my mustang, and that was far more bouncy than the focus is on the sportlines. I am still utilizing the stock shocks/struts, which i plan on upgrading soon as well. I will post pics eventually.

Oh and hello, i'm new to this forum :)

#28 ·
Sportlines

They are huge pics, with great detail, so much detail that in the first pic you can see how dirty the rims really are, and the last pic you can see my F150 with my Ad1das plates :)

#34 ·
Lol at springs handling better than coilovers.

KWs and H&Rs will have all stainless steel shock bodies/threads. There are literally thousands of people in the snow belt with coilovers on their car.

I didn't read every post but if it hasn't been mentioned before the benefit to coilovers is you can change your ride height season to season.

#36 ·
Yeah.. the whole progressive shocks riding harsher is kinda bs too.

#38 ·
I'm running the stock upgraded shocks and struts and the ride is great considering how low the car is. It rides way better than my 2009 did with the FRPP kit. The ride is actually so good that my gf wants the same setup for her 2013 hatch so I picked the springs along with camber arms from tire rack/summit racing earlier today.

Tire tack is selling them for an amazing price right now. Shipping was an extra $18 UPS ground
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...del=Focus+5-Door&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=SE

#42 ·
hey all.. question for you folks in-the-know about suspension 'upgrades' .... I have a '12 SEL and i have already installed the Steeda rear sway and find that the butt end of the car is much more 'planted' and it def feels as if it has less roll going into a turn and that the back end seems more 'responsive'. (i also replaced the OEM contis w/ DWS contis and see a bit of improvement).

I haven't installed the front steeda as folks tell me it's a pita to do and i find the front end a bit 'floaty' at times. So... this is my question:
Without replacing springs or going to coil overs will simply changing out the dampers/struts improve the suspension performance? If so, what would you recommend? I read about using Koni on this site but am interested in investigating all options before making a choice. If i were to change out the dampers what kind of driving improvements should i / can i expect... if any.? thanks.

#43 ·
This should probably go in its own thread but yes. Changing your shocks will absolutely make the car feel more planted, will make it handle better, you'll have a better "feel" for the road and it will be a nice stepping stone once you do end up getting springs with a higher spring rate.

What makes Koni's great is the fact you can dial in how responsive they are. The low settings will make the car feel pretty stock, but if you are wanting to carve up some windy roads crank them up and your car will be quite confidence inspiring.

#50 · (Edited)
For what you're wanting, I would replace the front struts with ST struts (about $100 or so total) and then decide how low you're willing/want to go. The lower you go, the higher the spring rate and the less roll. On the flip-side, the higher the spring rate the more 'firm' the suspension. I have the Pro-Kit springs and think they're great, with the Handling Package dampers it feels sporty but not punishing. I haven't ridden any of the lower springs on our cars, but I haven't heard anyone that thought that they were too firm. It would probably be best to ask around with some of the people running them to get some more opinions as maybe some of them have ridden in different setups and can give a better comparison.

I would offer to sell you my suspension, but after shipping I can't imagine that it would be much cheaper than buying the ST struts and either V-Maxx springs or Sportlines. Interestingly, for the amount of drop that I have I have nearly the most expensive setup as the Ti HP dampers are more expensive than the ST and the Pro-Kit is more expensive than the Sportlines. Probably due to the larger audience, I imagine.

Look into the Village Ford thread in the vendor section for some ST damper pricing. Don't limit yourself, but those are probably the least expensive options.

#51 ·
Ok - With all this talk about suspension "upgrades" does anyone really know what the actual spring rates are or how much the various springs vary from say stock? You have Std. Stock Springs, TI Handling Pk Springs, Ebibach Pro-Kit and Sportline ect... Then you have the various Dampers - how do they compare - i.e. anyone have "real" numbers".

#52 ·
Bill of Materials

Mates,

After reading everything I can possibly read I have settled on this upgrades:

Rear Sway Bar - Steeda
Springs - Ford Racing Lowering Spring Kits FMS-M-5300-S (linear)
Rear shocks - Bilstein Series: B6 (HD); Rear; 24-196529
Front shocks - (as suggested by Zillon)
AD-1098 F Upper Strut Mounts
AST-12281 LH F Strut (ST-version)
AST-12287 RH F Strut (ST-version)
AD-1094 F Strut Bearings

Not sure if I need anything else - all suggestions are welcome.

#53 ·
just an update... I went with the ST struts up front and the Ti (w/ handling pkg) rear dampers and the rear steeda sway bar.

BIG diff in handling, car is more 'planted' , flatter in cornering, less dive under hard braking, and all-round just feel better driving it. Ride quality is a smidge firmer but not hard or harsh at all. glad i did this...

#54 ·
Mates,

After reading everything I can possibly read I have settled on this upgrades:

Rear Sway Bar - Steeda
Springs - Ford Racing Lowering Spring Kits FMS-M-5300-S (linear)
Rear shocks - Bilstein Series: B6 (HD); Rear; 24-196529
Front shocks - (as suggested by Zillon)
AD-1098 F Upper Strut Mounts
AST-12281 LH F Strut (ST-version)
AST-12287 RH F Strut (ST-version)
AD-1094 F Strut Bearings

Not sure if I need anything else - all suggestions are welcome

#57 ·
Bumping this old thread.. I've decided to do sportline springs with the ST struts up front and the Ti (w/ handling pkg) rear dampers just wanted see if members who went with this setup still enjoying it... Thinking this will be better then just throwing on the sportline on my stock dampers..

#58 ·
We have a 2008 Mazda 3S grand touring and it's about the best handling car I've ever driven. My girlfriend drives a base model 2013 3 and even that seems to handle significantly better than the Focus. Would any of the suspension components from either model fit the Focus? Looking underneath both the setups look almost identical. I'd buy new parts obviously, I'm not looking to gimp the Mazda[:p]

Another question- I have a Focus SFE which I believe to have the "regular" suspension. How much of a difference is there between that and the SEL/Titanium suspension? Is that enough of an upgrade?

#59 ·
The Mazda and Ford are very similar indeed, and people have swapped at least the springs and aftermarket adjustable camber arms over. I don't really remember what other components, but I do remember that the springs have to be cut to get a decent ride height.

Between the different trims of Focus, there were 3 different suspensions iirc. I noticed a big difference between my SEL and Ti with handling package, but I haven't driven any trim below the SEL. Why not go down to the local dealership and request a test-drive of a HP-equipped model?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.