MAF Sensor? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 33,913, Level 100
Points: 33,913, Level: 100 Points: 33,913, Level: 100 Points: 33,913, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
MAF Sensor?

Ok this not a focus but I'm sure the MAF work the same. My moms car is a 96 chevy luminia w/ 3100 v6.

The car runs like shit, I did a full tune up nothing changed, cleaned then changed the egr valve no change.

While I was messing with egr valve I was thinking I know if the MAF sensor is bad or dirty it can also cause the car to run like crap so with the car running I dissconnected the sensor sure enough the car started running amazing right after. Plug it back it starts running like shit again.

So... I have her go buy maf cleaner and a new maf sensor just in case cleaning it don't work. I cleaned it no change, I put the sensor in and guess what still no change..... still runs like shit. But... if I unplug it, it still starts running perfectly fine.

Well she need the car to get back and forth to work in so I like shit ill just have her leave it unpluged until I can figure something else out. Drove it around the block runs perfectly fine so un-pluged it is.

My question what kind of damage will it cause leaving it unpluged, and second what else could be bad, that when disconnecting the maf sensor it would run fine.

I plan on this only being temporary till I can figure out the cause.

Sent from 34.0764 N, 118.4296 W

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 33,913, Level 100
Points: 33,913, Level: 100 Points: 33,913, Level: 100 Points: 33,913, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Well after doing some research. I found this ignore the numbers but it gives me the info i'm looking for.

Quote:
No. Sorta.

The MAF tells the computer what the air density is. The computer then adjusts the fuel delivery schedule (injector timing) to attain a mixture of 14.7:1 parts of air and fuel. Without the MAF, the car might alternate between rich and lean, which won't hurt anything, but might trip the Check Engine (SERVICE ENGINE SOON) light and give codes of P0170 & P0173, and P1188 & P1189.

The car won't be harmed, but the codes will probably come up. All you need to do is fix/replace the MAF and reset the codes -- ignoring the ones I told you about.
Quote:
It runs off only the 02 sensors instead. Just wont control the combustion as effectively.
Quote:
technically your car can run without the MAF but instead of relying on the sensor input for the fuel trim (most optimum) it will rely on a set of pre-defined fuel trim. therefore, your car can still run but you are not getting the most performance due to your specific driving conditions.

I hope this helps. good luck

From another forum.

Quote:
Umm... no

your car probably ran kinda funny and has been getting less than par gas mileage (suprised you didn't notice this, but the mileage won't be too far off) without the MAF, but it is only one sensor your ECU uses to determine fueling. Your plugs are more than likely fouled, and your cat is probably completely hosed, but as for actual mechanical damage, as long as you have been timely with your oil changes, you should have 0 mechanical issues. In the future, get friendly with a shop/person in your area that doesn't charge to hook up to a scan tool and anytime a code pops up, have it checked out, I drive around with my CEL on all the time, but still have it scanned once a month or so... better safe than sorry. But I wouldn't worry in your position, just order a new set of plugs and cat (or catless pipe and 02 sensor simulator) and enjoy the car.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 33,913, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
I saw another another forums but I can' find it again. In the thread someone mentions to try and do a hard reset for the ECU by unplugging the battery for 30 mins.

The engine has been running so long bad it may have picked up some bad habits and needs to be reset so it can relearn the how to run properly again.

I'm going to try this tomorrow, any thoughts?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,520, Level 94
Points: 23,520, Level: 94 Points: 23,520, Level: 94 Points: 23,520, Level: 94
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I dont need to see your google searches lol. (no offense anyway)

have you actually tried replacing the sensor? there's tons of them in junkyards. It could be completely trashed.

If you have a multimeter you can test it.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 33,913, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
You always hate when I post up stuff don't you mike?

Yes, I tried cleaning the old one, then I replaced with new one. Still runs like shit unless I unplug it.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,520, Level 94
Points: 23,520, Level: 94 Points: 23,520, Level: 94 Points: 23,520, Level: 94
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
not at all.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.