Engine knocking, then broke down - NEED HELP PLEASE - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
ACAUTY1.8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104478
What I Drive: 2004, Silver, Focus Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 ACAUTY1.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine knocking, then broke down - NEED HELP PLEASE

Hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having, I'll try and explain as best I can - Basically started about 4 months ago, I went for a drive and when leaving my driveway my car felt like it was about to stall, but I thought nothing of it really, 20 minutes later I was in a traffic jam, driving a few yards at a time, and I could feel a knocking/shaking, obviously the car shakes a little anyway as the engine was on, but every so often, say 5/10/15 seconds there was a heavier knocking which lasts around a second each time, then about 5 minutes later it got progressively worse for about 10 seconds and then the engine cut out. After this I could start the car and move forwards slightly, but as soon as it got to 2000 revs the engine would immediately cut out again. A garage picked it up and plugged it in for a diagnostic and then sorted it out with that, however I was in such a rush to leave and get to work that I didn't pay much attention to what he said, although I understand they didn't actually do any work to it, they just did something while it was plugged in. Now fast forward a few months and its started the knocking again, so I'm just waiting to break down again really. Does anyone know what this might be? As I can't afford to have much work done to it at the moment, but atleast if I have an idea of whats wrong then this might help so I can try and get it looked at without paying a fortune. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,767, Level 76
Points: 13,767, Level: 76 Points: 13,767, Level: 76 Points: 13,767, Level: 76
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
If they could 'sort it out;' with simple diagnostics.. you are lucky. So the engine is having a serious misfire. The knocking is some of the cylinders misfiring/ preignition and the gasoline is exploding instead of burning. Or burning after the valves open. Not a big problem.. but if you let it keep happening it WILL become a much more serious one.
That is very bad to keep running it that way. You can do some real damage to the engine running it in that condition!! As is it should be a simple fix. Keep driving it and you will need an engine rebuild.
You cannot drive a car with that problem
So take it in and get it fixed. Oh, and actually pay attention to what they tell you.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
ACAUTY1.8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104478
What I Drive: 2004, Silver, Focus Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 ACAUTY1.8 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the reply, ah ok is this a common fault and would you so thats definitely the problem? And also is it an affordable fix?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,201, Level 35
Points: 3,201, Level: 35 Points: 3,201, Level: 35 Points: 3,201, Level: 35
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 56%
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
They'll have to do the diagnostic again, you pretty much guaranteed that, I can think of 50 things that could be wrong there.

The misfiring diagnosis you just got alone could be 25 things and no way of knowing if it is even accurate to begin with. Or, you could be stepping into a deeper hole now. For all the wording the OP simply has not much real information in it and you walked away from the most important stuff, or the mechanic's explanation.

Affordable? The question can have no answer based on post content. Wide open.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.