An Idea questions on how to proceed - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Not usually for residential non commercial use. they have deep discount ones. Student options if you still have a email address with a university.

Solid Edge is free for students or a free 45 day trial
AutoDesk has student editions. And free trials

Full versions cost less than 2-3k for personal use.

Also some companies if you work for them and they have NX or Solid Edge or others have floating licenses and also personal use. I know our company when we had Solid Edge had unlimited personal use licensees that were good for 1 year. we have gone with NX and that's not only 5 for 3 months I think.

for basic 3D modeling its not bad. But if you want the simulation stuff also to them simulate stress, heat, shock and other thermal and environmental thats when you get into 20+k just in software.

I hate the water marks left by student editions of software. I haven't researched it much recently but I do know the last I talked with someone some of the autodesk stuff is super spendy for commercial use.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #22
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Oh it is. but a lot of that also comes software support (on site training), upgrades, tech support...

I think our company pays more than $50k per NX license. but its also floating on a main frame server so more people can have it installed on the PC's you just cant exceed so many active users.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118287
What I Drive: 00 blue FF, 91 black Volks Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtofixthis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_beautious_ZX3 View Post
Pursue your dreams, brother. There are new machinist collectives popping up around the nation called "hacker spaces" where hobbyists and inventors can meet and learn/use metalworking machines. Here is one in Chicago: https://wiki.pumpingstationone.org/index.php/Equipment
Awesome link! I Will definitely get into that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Not usually for residential non commercial use. they have deep discount ones. Student options if you still have a email address with a university.

Solid Edge is free for students or a free 45 day trial
AutoDesk has student editions. And free trials

Full versions cost less than 2-3k for personal use.

Also some companies if you work for them and they have NX or Solid Edge or others have floating licenses and also personal use. I know our company when we had Solid Edge had unlimited personal use licensees that were good for 1 year. we have gone with NX and that's not only 5 for 3 months I think.

for basic 3D modeling its not bad. But if you want the simulation stuff also to them simulate stress, heat, shock and other thermal and environmental thats when you get into 20+k just in software.
Solid advice man I appreciate it. I was thinking of a more direct route I know a cad program would be needed, but I was kinda asking on the basis that all the engineering d design ha been completed. But I know building a real production ready machine much less an engine is no small task.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118287
What I Drive: 00 blue FF, 91 black Volks Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtofixthis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
On note as far as cad programs. I would probably spend the money in the right situation, 2-3g for an auto cad program with a personal lisencse I don't see as completely unreasonable. But honestly I would reach out in the freeware and Linux community to see what's.available, cause there is a lot of programs out there, but it's a matter of compatibility with those.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I didn't tell you this but,

If you go to the Autodesk site and claim to be a student. You can download the student versions of the programs free.
I'd suggest Inventor.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #26
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Inventor is a good program used it back 10-12 years ago and can only imagine it has gotten better.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)

Bookmarks & Social Networks