anyone using premium gas ? - Page 152 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #1511
Derbagger
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 178073
What I Drive: 2014 Ruby Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Derbagger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok...I've spent spare time over the last week going over this thread...

At first I'd have said you were all full of it....but after reading, I'll give it a try.
I traded in a Saab 92x aero (WRX with a facelift) which devoured 160k miles worth of premium. I was looking forward to only buying regular.

I tried 93 in my 3.7 V6 MKS. Found no change.

The only drivability issue in my SE 5 speed is the occasional off the line bog. Otherwise it pulls and isles sweetly.

I'm wondering if it's poor quality regular gas causing some to have issues. But like I said, I'm gonna try it.

Two things though:
1. Probably not practical, but I'd like to see our cars dynoed back to back to see the difference. If it's like 160 crank with 87, and 170 with 93, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

2. The fifth gear video is kind of Apple's to oranges. The only non-turbo car was the one with no benefit. High pressure causing high temperature is the cause of detonation. I understand our engines are high compression, but most of that is mitigated by the cooling effect from direct injection. While we can adjust timing and cam operation, a turbo can directly adjust pressure, yielding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #1512
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
Gas went down to 3.399 here in SW Ohio the other day and I filled my tank with 4 gallons of Prem. mixed with 8 of regular. Yes, my 14 did respond to it quite nicely. Especially high gear hill pulls without downshifting. Gas mileage should be better also. I don't think full premium would be worth it unless you're huffin it.
Yeah, Seems a somewhat higher than 87 is really the main thing.
So a few gallons of Premium in a half to 2/3 tank of regular is pretty much what is good enough to solve the small issues.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #1513
StevenK
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 147970
What I Drive: 2014, Sterling Gray, SE

FF Reputation: 1 StevenK Good Standing Member
Well, I will ad my 2 cents.

I have been running premium for the past 10k, average MPG is 35.7 (60/40) highway driving.

My last car (VW) I bought used with 85K. I only burned premium, I gave up on her at 315K. It wasn't the motor is was the rust. I know everyone has a opinion, I will keep with mine.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #1514
CaptainTraction
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 190465
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo black Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CaptainTraction Good Standing Member
I've been using 90 (Alaska premium) from chevron religiously for over two and a half years now. Each time I get brave and put 87 in to see what happens, its Noticeably different on the throttle response.
As for Gas milage.. no matter how you drive the focus, it gets great milage haha but in town average is around 25mpg driving hard. 35+ if I drive like I'm dead. Octane boost sups(certain) ones add a pep to it as well.
Old Today, 10:03 AM   #1515
Theblueoval
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119194
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red 5Speed SE Sport Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Theblueoval Good Standing Member
I've been testing this over the past couple of months and so far all I can notice is that the car seems to Idle much better using premium (Shell 93) over regular 87.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->