Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2013 Focus Observations

42K views 187 replies 62 participants last post by  Mr Rutherford 
#1 · (Edited)
We got a few 2013 Focus on the lot and I noticed a few items:

The speedometer and tach have less hash marks (larger speed and tach increments). The speedo doesn't show every 10 MPH anymore, it goes 20, 40, 60, 80, etc.

The fuel and temp gauges also have larger text. Must of been complaints from older folks not being able to read them.

The auto dimming mirror, rain sensing wipers, and garage door opener built into the sun visor are now gone and no longer available, even on the Titanium model.

The base Titanium rims are now the previous SEL premium package rims. the SE now gets standard previous SE sport package rims. Much better than the hubcaps.

You can't get cloth seats and get fog lamps anymore. I see more SE's with the leather package because of this, and it's the same sew pattern as the Titanium leather. It's lost the uniqueness and options between trim levels, along with the blacked out headlamps from the Titanium on the SE appearance package. Why?

Performance blue is nice looking, pretty much the same as Sonic Blue last year, hint of purple to it.

Do like the standard rear view camera on the Titanium without having to buy the parking package. Also standard remote start that's integrated into the car from the factory is much better.

Driver's knee airbag has been added like the 2013 Escape, but doesn't note it in the order guide or functional descriptions.

LED interior dome lamps are gone, replaced with conventional bulbs

Interior trunk release added to headlamp switch surround.

See less See more
#46 ·
Glad I bought the 2012. Both of my previous cars had rain sensing wipers and the dimming rear mirror. I wouldn't buy a car that didn't. Both work great. I can't stand an SUV's headlights blasting thru my retinas at night.

#53 ·
I've been cruising the sites of numerous dealers, checking out their 2013s and I am honestly pretty disappointed with all the cars that don't have fog lights and just have those cheap black plastic covers instead.

Come on Ford, this looks SO cheap. Why get rid of them as a standard feature?

It makes ALL Focuses look cheap since there will be so many of them on the road.

I really have to wonder if all of the package/trim changes (meant to simplify ordering and decontent cars) were to appeal to rental car/fleet sales.

I thought those days were behind Ford?

#54 ·
I saw the sticker on a '13 SE without the sport package and it was just a few hundred bucks different over what mine stickered for with the sport package and 203a options. So glad I didn't wait another year like I do with most 1st year models.

#55 ·
For those getting and SE I can see wanting a '12 over a '13. But for those that want the Ti the '13 comes with more for less $$. The '12 would have cost (retail) $28500 but my '13 cost (retail) $27280 and the rebates between the two were $500 more for the '12. But with the price drop the '13 I bought was a WAY better find.

#56 ·
The cloth seats in the sport package were a major selling point for me. I'm not a huge fan of leather seats and the seats in the focus are some of my favorite I've ever had.

The fog lights look nice, but frankly don't do much - even when it's foggy.

As for the other changes, they are interesting but make a lot of sense to me.

They want to push sporty people toward the ST, whereas last year they were pushing people toward the titanium.

#60 ·
I totally agreed with getting rid of the SEL because it was kind of redundant, but that was with the understanding that the SE would retain the sport appearance package which included the gloss black front grilles (which is a small but important feature in my books).

Had they nixed the SEL but kept the SE with the Sport Appearance package and still have available leather and MFT as stand alone options, that would have been great.

If you can't afford a Ti, then you could have gotten an SE that looks as good and you could option it as it you like.

The SE is supposed to be the volume seller and Ford should have kept all the ways you could option it instead of shoehorning people into packages and taking away some features altogether.

#61 ·
Had they nixed the SEL but kept the SE with the Sport Appearance package and still have available leather and MFT as stand alone options, that would have been great.

If you can't afford a Ti, then you could have gotten an SE that looks as good and you could option it as it you like.
I would have liked to have seen this, but I don't think it fits their business model and I don't think it makes sense to them (and I do think their model makes sense.)

S - Only in a sedan - has roll-up rear windows, not so much to save cost as to make the car less desirable. I suspect the S is only offered so Ford can claim that you can buy a Focus for $16,200.

SE - still nicely equipped and more nicely equipped than the 2012 model (at least the base trim). I'm not sure I really understand the 2013 SE Appearance package anymore, b/c by that point, you COULD buy a Titanium.

Titanium - Top of the line, except the ST, which is a pure performance option.

It makes sense - doesn't mean I agree with it.

#63 ·
Something else I noticed, and I'm not sure if it was brought up in here, but the SE with the Appearance package has the Titanium console with the e-brake handle further towards the center stack and the side-by-side cupholders.

Happened to take a look at one today at work - customer stopped in and I saw it out in the lot.

#73 ·
I went to get a 2013 today and was told the best financing in western Canada is 3.99% for 60 months and under, and 4.99% for 72 months. :\

This is after being told 2 weeks ago I could get 0% on 60 or .99% on 72, which was actually for the 2012s, but he assured me I could get it for the 2013s as well. Great salesman, not using him again. And having that interest tacks on about $4,000.

Unfortunately a Focus in Canada is about $2,000-$4,000 more than the same model in the US, but it's basically impossible to cross the border and get one since Ford (not just ford, but all car companies) dealers have a "refuse to serve" policy for Canadians in the US. It's really annoying and anti-competitive, and price-fixing. But not much I can do about it except not buy from a dealer. :(

#79 ·
Wait LED lighting is gone for all models? Well tbh I prefer my 12 SE's halogen dome lights to my mother's 12 SEL's harsh LEDs, but I guess a lot of people prefer leds

Sent from my SGH-I777 using FF Mobile 2
Well, that's something new. I had previously thought all '12 Foci came with LED dome lights.

My SE has LED dome & map lights. I love them.

#92 ·
Or unlucky ones, I don't care for the lack of color rendering caused by the LEDs. Incans render colors much better. And it's not like you really need the dome lights to be super efficient.. Advancements in LEDs are allowing them to be very bright AND render colors much better, but those have not become the standard yet. if the LED's were High CRI that would be another story, but the washed out color the white dome lights provide isn't very nice anyways.

#94 ·
Today we received a couple 2013 Focus hatches at work, so I thought I'd grab a few pictures as I was leaving.

Titanium:

SE w/ Black Pack:

I know it's hard to see in the pictures, but I noticed that each has in its cupholders little soft inserts to held hold cups in place better. That should be a valuable update.

#113 ·
SE w/ Black Pack:

Today at work I gave both of the '13 Foci I posted earlier a quick clean, and had the opportunity to take some more pictures of the SE above, but of the interior this time.

It's odd to see MFT with the silver SE trim:

New cupholders:

Hatch release:

Updated cluster:

#96 ·
Love that ST-style wing. Didn't know they were coming stock on '13s now. What's with that? I am sad to see the general decontenting of the Focus this early in this generation's life though. Very happy I have a '12 SE with Sport package and 203A. It's got everything I want and nothing that I don't need.

I've got to see my dealer about getting one of those rear wings (not sure I like the 3D carbon one...) provided I can get it colormatched.

#97 ·
^^ That's with the "Black Pack," which - unfortunately - means that spoiler (along with the side mirrors) is black, regardless of exterior color.

The good flip side is that it also brings the black headlights, fog bezels, and piano-black grille from the Titanium.

If I bought an SE Appearance Package, I'd be looking to retrofit the latter three things myself.

#99 ·
The '13 SEs have the same cupholder/console arrangement as the Titanium now? I wasn't aware of that. Are all 2013 SEs this way, or does that come with a package? Is the S the only one with the fore/aft cupholders in 2013?

#103 ·
Note that this SE has dual-zone climate control and MFT. I imagine those without will have cupholders fore/aft.

#112 ·
Hi SaToX,

Swing by your dealership so they can take a look; they're in the best position to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Additionally, you can give Ford of Canada a call at 1-800-565-3673; they'll coordinate efforts with your dealer to ensure your concerns are addressed.

Thanks,
-Crystal

#115 ·
It's black, but not Tuxedo black like the rest of the car. It's rather noticeable in real life that they're different paint.

#116 ·
I don't know if this was mentioned or not but the volume up/down and track forward/backward has been separated. They moved it up on to the steering wheel pad on the right side from the rocker. The rocker is now pick up (left)/end call (right) and star 1 (up) and star 2 (down). I have no idea what the stars mean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.