Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem

226K views 378 replies 124 participants last post by  2012 Focus Lemon Owner 
#1 ·
I bought a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in Minnesota in June. The test drive was great (only 3 to 4 miles). When driving the car home (which is about 60 miles from the dealer), after 25 miles or so, the steering seemed to stiffen up and I found myself kind of zig-zaging within the lane (new cement freeway less than one year old). Thought maybe I was not used to the new car, or maybe it was the road? Since then, I payed close attention to the steering. I don't know what causes the steering to stiffen and free up at times. For now it seems to happen only at crusing speed (60-65) after some distance...and the distance seems to vary. So I decided after several hundred miles it wasn't the road or my ability to drive, it was the steering in the car that was the problem. I brought the car back to the dealer to be fixed and they said it drove fine. I asked them how far they drove it, and they said less than 10 miles. I asked them if they would drive it 20 to 30 miles on the freeway. They did, and found the car to be doing what I said it was doing with the steering getting stiff and then free. But they said nothing could be done about it. I am wondering how the car is going to act on ice this winter driving down the freeway. Anyone else hear about, or having this steering problem?

#216 ·
I didn't have any noise or vibration in my car...It would just drift from side to side...The steering was extremely tight and you couldn't move it even 1/16th of an inch or you'd be in the next lane...No matter how straight I kept the wheel, the car would just drift off the road....You would notice because I had to fight it to keep it straight.

#218 ·
I have a '12 Ti built in May. I believe I have the steering issue as well. What exactly should I tell the dealer service center other than the steering is very tight at higher speeds? I noticed this issue driving my car home from the dealer but thought it was just me not being used to a car. I've driven Dodge Caravan's for the past 10 years. It definitely feels weird and like I'm going to jump lanes if I correct my path too quickly.

#220 ·
I have an appointment to drop off at the dealer and go on a test drive with a tech on Monday. This was all initiated by Crystal(above) who requested I send my contact info. I then received a PM from a Ford technology girl, and a phone call from a CSR in D.C. for my area, who reached out to my dealer, who called me.

I will say the service guy at the dealer seemed a little peeved that all this came about from above and that I did not call them first. I assured him I was not climbing above them and this was all initiated from a social forum. Not that any of this really matters, but just relaying my perception at the way this has transpired to see how other owners get on with their dealers from similar contacts.

I gave the dealer my list...
-steering issue
-trans shutter (I don't think this is as bad as what others are experiencing but since it's going to be there...)
-MFT/Sync

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome. We are expecting high winds and heavy rain on Monday when I'm scheduled to have my test drive. I'm not optimistic since I only experience the steering issue at highway speeds of 70 or greater.

#223 ·
I'll be sending you a PM soon Crystal and thank you in advance. I've had the same issue with my freeway steering since I purchased my Focus May 2012. I was trying to learn to live with it, but did a lot of freeway driving over Thanksgiving and it gets tedious and tiring trying to keep the car centered in a lane. I finally made and appointment with my dealer and took the car in today. The mechanic took it for a test drive by himself. "Every thing is fine, the wheels are alligned" and he didn't notice any drastic pulling to either side. It is a subtle problem, but I KNOW its doing it. I mentioned to the service rep and the mechanic what I read in this forum, and about the steering rack being replaced to fix it. "Never heard of that before" and just looked at me like I was from Mars. Any help would be appreciated. PM coming soon.

#228 ·
I'll be sending you a PM soon Crystal and thank you in advance...
Sonicbluz,

I’m Cory, the new Ford Service representative on the forum. I’ve sent you an update; please see your inbox for my message.

IT'S FIXED !!!!...
...I drove about 120 highway miles today. The car drives SO much better. I no longer have the ping pong effect...
vela123321 & peridigm,

I’m really glad your dealer took care of your concerns [:D]; thanks for posting the updates.

For those of you who have had your rack replaced...how sensitive is the steering now? Mine is ridiculously sensitive and every imprefection in the road causes the steering wheel to move in a different direction...
I see you’ve already been escalated, Some Guy From NY. It’s important that you’re happy with your ride, so please don’t hesitate to PM me with any details you want forwarded before the next follow-up call.

Cory

#227 ·
For those of you who have had your rack replaced...how sensitive is the steering now? Mine is ridiculously sensitive and every imprefection in the road causes the steering wheel to move in a different direction. The wandering/sway at highway speeds is fixed...but now my steering is ultra sensitive. I do not like this at all. Before this, I was able to keep the car driving straight with one finger even over bumps and grooves, now I need both hands on the wheel because the car is constantly following the grooves or bumps in the road, so I am always having to correct. It is worse at LOW speeds now.

#229 ·
Ping-Pong driving

I just picked up my 2013 Focus SE with the 17in wheels last week. I absolutly love it, with one caveat: I noticed that it is very hard to correct direction at highway speeds due to "notchy" steering feel. When I try to stay in lane, the steering gives me initially artificial resistance, which totally goes away when I push harder. It's a bear to drive straight. Kinds feels like a broken PS3 steering wheel that I have.
My dealer is looking at next week. Thanks for all the help here on the board helping me to articulate this.
Joerg

#230 ·
I just picked up my 2013 Focus SE with the 17in wheels last week. I absolutly love it, with one caveat: I noticed that it is very hard to correct direction at highway speeds due to "notchy" steering feel. When I try to stay in lane, the steering gives me initially artificial resistance, which totally goes away when I push harder. It's a bear to drive straight. Kinds feels like a broken PS3 steering wheel that I have.
My dealer is looking at next week. Thanks for all the help here on the board helping me to articulate this.
Joerg
I wish you better luck than I had. My case was escalated and I took a long drive with my service manager. My focus does the exact same thing you described. The result: "That's normal" He said the rule of thumb is if the car does not fully change lanes in 7 seconds... its ok. really? really? He felt it drove ok and there's nothing else I can do atm. I guess its kinda the same as people with DCT problems, if a car isn't towed in, w/e is wrong is "Normal" I'm sure ford saves a lot of repair costs that way.

#235 ·
I just purchased my 13 se. I'm currently in the middle of my 275 mile commute to work. I'm having the same problem at highway speeds. The steering is very notchy. Loads up with lots of resistance, then when it finally decides to go a direction it darts on me, then the wheel will not center itself. I have spent the last 3 hours sawing at the wheel to stay straight going down the highway. I'm exhausted from it!

#238 ·
not for 2013's that I've seen there's TSB 12-02-17 for steering wander on early build 2012 models http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282053 would take in to dealer(pm Crystal ford customer service your name ,phone # ,VIN # and dealer info might help) info have them check things out ,have you checked tire pressure and sure it wasn't road ,few things dealer will ask / check, been dealing with mine for almost a year even after new steering rack GOOD LUCK

#241 ·
2012 Ford Focus SEL

Hi all. I was referred here after doing a little Google search on "power assist failure" for the 2012 Focus.

The system warning message came on after the car was sitting in a parking lot all day during work hours. Turned car off and on a few times to see if it would go away as it had for a few others, but mine persisted. Left the Focus at work to take to local dealer the next day. Steering was extremely tough and didn't want to risk driving 30 miles home as it was.

Dealer today tells me that they have to replace the entire steering column. Not sure what that means exactly, but it's going to cost $2400. Our family's first Ford ever, and we are really regretting it.

Guess there's no chance of any sort of recall, right? Wish I had researched electronic power steering issues before all this. Forum seems great though.

#243 ·
Hi all. I was referred here after doing a little Google search on "power assist failure" for the 2012 Focus.

The system warning message came on after the car was sitting in a parking lot all day during work hours. Turned car off and on a few times to see if it would go away as it had for a few others, but mine persisted. Left the Focus at work to take to local dealer the next day. Steering was extremely tough and didn't want to risk driving 30 miles home as it was.

Dealer today tells me that they have to replace the entire steering column. Not sure what that means exactly, but it's going to cost $2400. Our family's first Ford ever, and we are really regretting it.

Guess there's no chance of any sort of recall, right? Wish I had researched electronic power steering issues before all this. Forum seems great though.
do you have a warranty ?whats your build date can find inside door or www.etis.ford.com there is a service bulletin if your car was built b4 04-19-2011 that might help read thru this threadhttp://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264330

#242 ·
I don't understand why they would have to replace the entire column. There are two TRW-manufactured EPS units: the column-drive and the rack-drive units. The Focus has the rack-drive unit, where all of the power-assist function is located on the rack, vs. on the column for the other type.

#245 ·
Warranty coverage expired due to mileage. Put over 40,000 miles on it so far, lots of interstate driving.

Basically told me that all steering electronics are shot and need to be replaced. At least the dealer is giving me a loaner for the two days. The warning indicator never turned off for me, even after 12 hours. Guess I got unlucky.

#247 ·
I owned a Cooper S and felt similar. Welcome to electric power steering! Isnt it comforting to think there is only electronics between you and your steering? No gearbox or rack to steer with in case of problems at 75 on the interstate. I just tried not to think about it too much lol

#248 ·
The MK3 Focus has a standard rack and pinon mechanical linkage like any other small car. The electric power steering (EPAS) just replaces the hydraulic pump for providing assistance (and allows for interesting things like different assist profiles at different speeds, compensating for road crowns and crosswinds, and park assist).

If it fails, you still have (unassisted) mechanical steering - it's not a drive-by-wire system.

#250 ·
#254 ·
Similar issue

I took my 13 Focus se in for what I call "wondering" and alignment check. They said the Alignment was in specs and they could not duplicate the "wondering" problem. I told them it only happens at highway speeds... I will have to get on the highway and see if it still does it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.