Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Auto-Dimming Mirror

26K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  mcotton 
#1 ·
Anyone added one to their 2012 yet? I've searched it out and come up empty so far. It's an option on the Titanium, but I'm wondering if anyone else has added one to their car on their own. I'm wondering if Ford has a plug for one under the headliner in all the cars for manufacturing's sake. I've found plug-n-play stuff on Toyotas...kinda hoping Ford might have maybe sorta done the same thing, lol. A few manufacturers leave it as a dealer-installed option.

I have one on my current vehicle and it makes a huge difference on the highway at night, but i didn't see it as an option to be added to the SE.

Anyone had the headliner down and found an odd, extra plug up there?

#4 ·
it seems to be a little slow to react, and it allows more light to reflect than our old mountaineer...but, it never bothers me...I would look online before paying dealership prices, even at 10% off

#5 ·
Be aware that, unlike most other models, there is no "off" switch on the Focus mirror. In some conditions, I find the mirror makes things too dark and there's no way to make it less so. Mine came as part of a package but given my druthers I'd stick with the manual version.

On the plus side shifting into reverse eliminates the darkening, which is a nice feature.

#6 ·
Any update on the OP? I want to add a basic auto dimming mirror that cost like $90 (mirror) to my Ti without the Auto mirror, but I dont really want to do it unless I can just plug the darn thing in and not have to splice it into another wire while taking the whole headliner off. I wonder if the Ford dealer would install a non oem dimming mirror for me for cheap if it's difficult.

#7 ·
Personally I would prefer the manual dimming mirror. There are times when the mirror just doesn't react enough like during early dusk and a lifted truck is beaming bright lights through the back window. I would like a manual overide but there is none with auto dimming.

#9 ·
installed mirror

I have a Gentex mirror with dimming and Homelink garage door opener. I took it off my trade-in (put back original). My SE hatchback did not have wiring that I could find in the roof, so I ran 2 wires under the head liner and down behind the weather stripping passenger side door to the fuse box under the glove and used add-a-fuse on I think fuse # 86. If you search for radar detector wiring their is a post that tells how even with pictures. On amazon for less than $100 to $300.

#10 ·
I have a Gentex mirror with dimming and Homelink garage door opener. I took it off my trade-in (put back original). My SE hatchback did not have wiring that I could find in the roof, so I ran 2 wires under the head liner and down behind the weather stripping passenger side door to the fuse box under the glove and used add-a-fuse on I think fuse # 86. If you search for radar detector wiring their is a post that tells how even with pictures. On amazon for less than $100 to $300.
Thanks, I guess I will order the Gentex one without any extras and install it that way if I have to.. I'm getting tired of these trucks with lifts rolling up on me and blinding me with HIDs.

#11 ·
So I just installed a Gentex K2a Auto Dimming Mirror 79$ shipped from Amazon on my 12' Focus. Install took around 45minutes. I snaked 2 tiny wires around the passenger side headliner, then around the a-frame plastic under the airbag, and down the passenger side weather stripping to the fuse box below the glove box. There is a vertical bolt attached to the frame to the left front of the fuse box if you look up and the circle connector on the wiring fit the bolt perfectly to use for the grounding wire. Then I used an Add a Fuse on Fuse #85 which is a 7.5a fuse to attach the 12v wire(bare in mind the auto dimming mirror draws very little power). Attached mirror, plugged it in, and it works perfect.

Btw, the auto dimming mirror directions wanted me to use a vampire connector on a 12v wire but I decided add a fuse was the better route.

#12 ·
I have the auto dimming mirror and I can tell you, I wish it had an on-off switch. When cops are parked around here, they won't pull out for you going 5-9mph over the limit, but if they're behind you they'll pull you over for it. The mirror is so dark that when it dims, you can't see anything but the headlights, so when someone's behind you, you have no idea what kind of car it is. Kind of annoying. I think I'm going to figure out a way to cover up the sensor to turn mine on and off.

#16 ·
Was anyone able to find out if there is a plug for the auto dim mirror? I have an SEL model and I know I could have had the option. I just don't know for sure if ford does all the wiring in case an option is added. Otherwise I would do the add a fuse part BUT I would also be wiring a radar detector so I don't know how many open fuses turn on with the car.

#18 ·
So has anyone had this Gentex mirror with the garage door opener installed by the dealer? If so how much was it? I wish it came on my ST, seems like a bit of a ripoff that it did not considering the cost of the ST.

#20 ·
I just had a GENK40 gentex autodimming mirror with homelink installed yesterday. Used my dealers recommended aftermarket electrical install shop. Unfortunately, the autodimming function is not working. Also, whenever I press one of the 3 buttons to activate a garage door, the 4 way flashers come on! Pressing one of the buttons again turns them off. Anyone else with this type of aftermarket install have this issue? Note that I did get the homelink to work fine to open my 2 garage doors. Am using the 3rd, unused homelink button for shutting off the 4 ways. Do intend on taking the car back to that shop, but am looking for some insight first. The installer says he works on many new fords and the 5 wires in there were a piece of cake for him. Obviously not, unless the mirror is flawed.

#22 ·
So I took it back and they admitted they installed it wrong! They called MITO corp, the manufacturer and got the right help. Connected the power to the "blue" wire in the fuse panel and all is well. Mine has a constant green light when the autodim funciton is on and nothing when it's off. When you activate one of the Homelink buttons it changes to red.

Would be nice if the buttons were illuminated; tough to see in the dark!

Otherwise, works really well.

#21 ·
They screwed up. the gentex 40 I installed has a red for switched power (mirror) a yellow for constant power, but I connected it together with the red to 12v and a black to ground. Brown wire is for map light - not used. I added a add-a-fuse to the fuse panel below the glove box. All devices must be fused to prevent fires. Red wire must be switched to prevent it from draining the battery. Take it back and have them fix it and show you where the fuse is.

#29 ·
On my job2 2013 Ti, I couldn't find a harness/plug in the headliner for an auto-dimming mirror.

My Gentex autodimming mirror (with homelink) had three wires: ground, constant 12v (homelink) and ACC (ignition) 12v. I was able to wire all three into the moonroof MOTOR harness.

If you pull out the plastic upper console (that contains the sunglass holder, moonroof switch, etc), and look up into the roof (assuming you have a moonroof), you should see a gray connector that plugs in facing the passenger side of the car.

The BLACK wire (heavier gauge, thin white stripe) is ground.

The white wire (thinner gauge) is accessory power and turns off immediately with ignition.

In one corner of the connector, there's a heavier gauge orange wire (forget the stripe and I didn't get photos) that's constant power.

TEST ALL OF THIS BEFORE TAPPING ANYTHING!!!!!!

Get a cheap multimeter... you shouldn't be messing with wires without one. Learn how to check for 11-15 volts DC. Test everything you read on these websites. Don't tap wires unless you've seen for yourself what they do.

If you don't have a moonroof, It's possible you still have the harness and plug. Check and see... if you do, it's a great source for the mirror.

#30 ·
Great write up Garyd just did this today ,just a few notes my May 2012 SEL accessory power wire was white with brown stripe and to remove upper console open sunglass holder and on each side of button are holes you need to insert small screwdriver or something else in those holes and push straight back to release clips then it comes out.

#31 ·
My 2012 SEL didn't have the harness. I had to splice into an ACC wire, I believe I used the wire that powered the compass. There is also a constant ON you'll be able to use for map lights, garage door, etc.

No need to rip down the headliner, just remove the A-pillar trim, there is a bundle of wires that is easy to access and each has just barley enough slack to do a proper splice.

#32 ·
I just wired up a Gentex 50GENK-2A mirror (basic dimming, no frills) to my Titanium hatch and it was dead easy. Hardest part was removing the original mirror. Used an Add-A-Circuit fuse extender off Fuse 85 (7.5A original, and put a 3A fuse inline with it -- probably not necessary as the mirror draws less than 500mA). Just snake the wires under the headliner, under the top of the A pillar (easy to pull out a bit and get the wires in there) and down the passenger door weather stripping and out under the glove box). You will need to do either some minimal soldering to connect the Gentex wire to the Add-A-Circuit line or you can use a vampire clip that is supplied in the Gentex kit. There's a convenient grounding bolt near the fusebox for the mirror ground.

The beauty of this install is that it can be cleanly removed and the stock mirror put back in with no splices or other warranty-denying issues.

Bonus is that unlike the no-longer-offered factory installed mirror the 50GENK-2A has an off switch if you temporarily don't need the dimming function.

I've posted this also in the ST interior mod forum as there was a similar discussion and the install is exactly the same the between the SE, SEL, Titanium and ST

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.