Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Stock Conti. Tires ?

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  fritotec 
#1 ·
Hey!

My SVTF has a little over 10,000 miles on it now, and Ive noticed something about the front tires. They are already in need of replacement!! I was shocked when yesterday I noticed that the part of the tread on the front tires has already gone away!! Has anyone else had this problem with their stock Conti. tires?? I never thought they would have worn so quickly!! Thanks in advance for any help or ideas! [:)]

Christine K.

#2 ·
My conti's have lasted me 2+ years with 37,000 miles on them...I think I can get a couple more months out of them for this coming spring[:)] My tires seem to be the only good thing on my car LOL

#3 ·
Well, tires were the last thing I thought I would have to worry about for awhile! I found a photo of the stock tire...I know it is small. But, I put a red box around the part of the tread that is gone on the front tires only. That particular "line" is totally gone now! Maybe that will help you guys understand what Im talking about now! [;)]

-Christine K.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
That's nothing to worry about. [;)]
These tires were made that way, so as they wear in, you get better dry traction.
The grooves you're concerned about when new, are not even 1/8" in depth.

What you want to look for are the "wear indicators".
When the tread is to that depth is when they need to be replaced.
I got this pic from someone else, but check the red arrows.
Those are of the wear indicators.
You'll find them in several different places around the circumference of the tire.
Sometimes, there will be a little triangle on the sidewall to tell you where they are.

You have been rotating them.....haven't you?
I do mine every oil change.[;)]

In fact, here's a related thread with some more pics.
Happy reading.....check about 1/2 way through the thread where I discuss it.
Clicky

Attachments

#7 ·
I don't know about the extrem contact (I think that is right) but I was so pissed with the crappy stock Conti's I will never buy another set of anything they make. In my opinion buy Pirelli and you can't go wrong. I have the Pzero Nero M/S all season on my car and they kick the stock conti's ass, I may be starting something here but I would venture to say that the Pzero Nero M/S which is a all season tire is better than Conti's summer only performance tire. I am kind of going out on a limb here since I have never tried the extrem contact conti's but I don't see how tires could get much better than the Pzero Nero. It the Pzero Nero M/S is not better I am sure the Pzero Nero summer perfomance tire is better. I'll look them up and post the results latter.

As I thought, according to Tire Rack the Pirelli's rock.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+M&S

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact+2

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact

#11 ·
Pirelli P-Zero Nero's M/S Rock!!!

They are sticky, quiet, and look cool too!!!! Since I might have to drive in snow where I live, I got the pirellis after 6500 miles on the stock Conti's that came with the SVT focus. I love the new Pirelli's!!

I would recommend them to anyone and check out the ratings for these tires at www.tirerack.com. The complete setup cost $500 shipped to the door for 4 tires. My local Ford dealer mounted and balanced them for $34.95, so for less than $550 I have new feet that I can trust in bad weather and these tires are better than the contisports.

Anyone want to buy 3 Contisports with 6000 miles on them? Sell them to you for $65 a tire or $180 for all 3?

#13 ·
I didn't like the stock Conti's on my SVT. Oddly enough, they are highly rated and installed on Porsches and other performance cars as stock equipment. When I went to Nopi Nationals a few months ago, treadepot, owned by kauffman tire, sold me a set of Toyo Proxes FZ4's for $77 each. Go to treadepot.com and check them out. I believe they perform exceptionally well in Georgia (no snow or ice) conditions, especially rain. Although, some tires like the Proxes T1 would perform better in water, the price I paid was about half as much.

#14 ·
Actually, the stock Contis are considered very good tires, in every test I've seen of them. I am not having any of the issues other people have - I have around 15,000 miles on mine, and they are not worn out, not noisy, nothing - just about half worn-out, which is what I expect out of them.

I would doubt that a great all-season tire would compare with a great summer-only or winter-only tire. They are going to be a compromise. I will probably never go back to all-season tires again, because I like having the perfect tires for all conditions, and am spoiled by it now.

#15 ·
I thought the same untill I found the pzero nero m/s. Look at the reviews I posted above, they beat most summer only performance tires. They are not cheap but you pay for what you get. Every one is intitled to there opinion about the conti's and I'm not saying anyone is wrong but I think they just plain suck. I hated mine from the moment I bought the car. The next step up from the stock ones are the extreme contact but if the stock ones suck why would I pay the bucks to try out there slightly better tire?

#17 ·
sidney61199 said:
I thought the same untill I found the pzero nero m/s. Look at the reviews I posted above, they beat most summer only performance tires. They are not cheap but you pay for what you get. Every one is intitled to there opinion about the conti's and I'm not saying anyone is wrong but I think they just plain suck. I hated mine from the moment I bought the car. The next step up from the stock ones are the extreme contact but if the stock ones suck why would I pay the bucks to try out there slightly better tire?
Have you looked at the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3? Check it out. It's summer-only, but it's a fabulous rain tire.

#19 ·
my conti's have 17000 on them and no problems. i rotate them every 5000. for the winter i put conti-winter contacts on and they perform great only have 1200 on them but with the snow we have had since before christmas i am very pleased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.