Focus Fanatics Forum banner

ne1 race v6 tiburon?

10K views 87 replies 42 participants last post by  LastRites 
#1 ·
Im arranging a race with my friend who drives an 03 v6 tiburon with only a AEM intake installed, i run a 01 focus zx3 with an AFX UDP installed. Both still fairly stock so to say...anyone think i can'T take him? Any advice besides perfect shifting (we both have manual trannys).

#52 ·
Hey Guys, I also own a Tib and Fixer knows his stuff. I like the Focus, it's a great car. I'm disappointed Ford isn't making the SVT anymore. But I must say stock for stock, Im sure the Tib would win. Also, I have an automatic with a few bolt ons and I would definitely race a SVT no problem. Matt, thanks for posting.

#54 ·
This is my wife's sign on she has a focus, I own a 2004 tiburon v6 6-speed, to racerdan you don't have a clue what this car will do. The 2004 is rated at 172hp and 181tq. I have cold air intake, headers, and lowering springs, stock everything else. The car also has 4.40 gears from the factory. You say 14's isn't possible, i have two bolt ons. I run 14.798 fastest run. I average 14.89 consistant.

#56 ·
focuspres said:
This is my wife's sign on she has a focus, I own a 2004 tiburon v6 6-speed, to racerdan you don't have a clue what this car will do. The 2004 is rated at 172hp and 181tq. I have cold air intake, headers, and lowering springs, stock everything else. The car also has 4.40 gears from the factory. You say 14's isn't possible, i have two bolt ons. I run 14.798 fastest run. I average 14.89 consistant.
I'm pretty sure an SVT Focus can do that with those two bolt-ons as well, except for it's headers are already pretty damn good, so change out the rest of the exhaust or some other bolt-on.

#57 ·
I remember when the Tib first came out with the new body style, I think that is when they over rated there numbers. Any ways, when ever they did over rate it I remember they did get in some trouble for it. It was kind of funny them jacking the numbers up and getting caught for it.

#58 ·
I still say a ZX3 will not be able to keep up unless the Tib driver is a half wit and you the focus driver is the NHRA reigning champ. Now the SVT vs. GTV6 stock for stock it would have to be a drivers race. The Tib makes up for its chubbyness in TQ... something that most foci lack. But still satanding true to my statement that a GTV6 will smoke a regular ole foci(non SVT). The best pull I've ever had in my focus was 15.63 with a perfect r/t and 2.17 60ft with all my mods in my mod list, and I only got two pulls in my wifes car and her's hit a 15.28 with just an intake and added weight... not to mention I had a horrible r/t and 60ft time. Now that she has her exhaust and sts I assume she'll be in the 14's... if she practices more.

#59 ·
sidney61199 said:
I remember when the Tib first came out with the new body style, I think that is when they over rated there numbers. Any ways, when ever they did over rate it I remember they did get in some trouble for it. It was kind of funny them jacking the numbers up and getting caught for it.
Ford did that also... I think it was with a Cobra in 97 or maybe the GT... I can't remember. They did catch some sh!t for it though.

#63 ·
I didn't hear about the cobra thing but it figures. I'm glad that they are getting caught doing it (yes even good ol ford) it will keep them and other more honest in the future. Also, hell I thought we were talking about a SVT vs a Tib. I don't think the non SVT would stand a chance in hell. I think the SVT would be a toss up, but with a good driver (I'm not) I am pretty sure the SVT would take a Tib.

#64 ·
really? If thats the case I had already graduated then... humph... my memory sucks. Well what ever year it was Hyundai, Ford, and probably many more car manufacturers have all done this... didn't dodge under-rate the SRT4? I thought they advertised 215hp and when dynoed they hit ~230 whp? I guess better to under-rate and have a bunch of happy/surprised customers than pissed off ones. I know when when we found out the Tib we bought didn't have the advertised hp Hyundai sent us a check for 500 bucks for some performance bolt ons... hence the CAI.

#65 ·
z24sport said:
Have you ran at the track? I'm just going from my experience, but the fastest one I've seen at Bristol, ran a 15.8xx. Now the quickest non-SVT Focus I've seen has been in the high 16's...so there is a slim chance you could take him...but dont get your hopes up. Let us know how it turns out.
the fastest non-SVT you've seen run is in the high 16's?? thats what they run stock...dunno what u and ur cavalier were watchin

#68 ·
STKVSTDA said:
i didn't read the whole thread but a friend of mine has one (the Tuscany version) and he wasn't able to break 17 sec in 1/4 mile lol I do know he's a terrible driver but still.... I thought I'd share that little nugget.
Hyundai doesn't make a tuscani version for the US, your friend had a regular old Tib with some new badges he bought off the internet... kinda like type-r or svt badges on non type-r or svt cars. It sounds like he had a 4 cylindar auto too.

#69 ·
projectdeath69 said:
my friend and i raced one, i have the zx3 with auto and they both left me in the dust lol, but the guy in the tib beat my friend in a SVT, he thinks its cuz his motor was hot from racing tho...who knows
i think i would of caught him if we would of raced through 3rd gear and i didnt have another person in my car, but i did good.

preatty much the whole race i didnt get out of 2nd gear and he was maybe 1 car length ahead of me and he didnt have anyone else in his car... but oh well i beat one before, guess its really a drivers race :)

#70 ·
mconrada said:
Hyundai doesn't make a tuscani version for the US, your friend had a regular old Tib with some new badges he bought off the internet... kinda like type-r or svt badges on non type-r or svt cars. It sounds like he had a 4 cylindar auto too.
lol I don't know a lot about the Tib. but I do know my buddy's is a 6cyl manual. I'll have to ask him about the Tuscany stuff, it is definitely badged. What unmistakable identifiers are there to the Tuscany... so I can call his bluff if he's lying [:)~]

#71 ·
Look at the floor mats... sometimes people will make the mistake and forget to buy those also look at his owners manual. But if he did a complete rebadge... he would replace the front hood emblem, rear hatch emblem, rear bubble stickers, steering wheel emblem, floor mats, keys, and if he got the 17's he would have to replace the centercaps on those rims. They do make a 5 speed V6 along with the 6 speed. You can tell by the spoiler also... there are 3 options... none, low spoiler 2-3" high (5speed), high spoiler 5-6" high(sport package 6 speed). Also there is a huge piece of plastic that covers the intake manni with a huge "H" on it.

#73 ·
you know I never even looked at your location... my bad. Yes they are available in Canada... all we get in the US are badges we can order online. Tell you friend that if he's got some extra cash to blow look into Alpine Developments. My bro-in-law and I are installing a turbo kit from them onto his 2001 Tib when he returns from Iraq... its on its way as I type. If his is truly a V6 he needs ALOT of practice driving. The GTV6 6 Speed should be putting down low 15's stock.

#74 ·
Sport Compact car did a test on a Supercharged 04 Tibouron a couple months ago. It went 14.7 with a Supercharger and exhaust. That was in California on 91 octane. Tibourons hear at the drag strip dun low 16's I have seen one run a 15.9 and that was the quickest. It is rated at a 15.9 1/4 mile stock

#75 ·
I saw that article and it has got to be horribly wrong on the numbers... check out newtiburon.com. I've talked to a few of the SC Tibs and they sure as hell run better than 14.7. Look at my slip posted earlier. I ran a 15.2 with a CAI and extra subs. Add an exhaust, headers and few other bolt ons and I'd be knee deep in the mid to low 14's. Add a small 75 shot of nitrous with some good tuning and I'm sure I'd be in the 13's. I'll let you know as soon as my Zetec can keep up with the Tib... once that happens I'll start doing some more to the tib.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.