P1131, '04 SVT, making Tommy Sad - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
gurkpimpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63495
What I Drive: 2001 Tornado Red Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 gurkpimpin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The coil pack most likely is your problem

Sent from BluKuban IPhone Killer!!
Sedan Revolution #267
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I'd be looking closer at that fuel pressure like he says, the 1131 code backs it up. No way the coil can do that.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm thinking the fuel sensor is bad. I'm not really familiar with any SVT differences between the fuel systems, so forgive me if I'm a bit generic here. Our fuel systems don't have a return line, so there is no fuel pressure regulator. There is a fuel sensor which gives the computer information about fuel pressure and temp. I think it's most likely bad because of its reading. Also, from what I understand SVTs do have a fitting on the end of the fuel rail where a mechanical tester can be used. This is hearsay, so maybe not accurate. If you can test it, and it doesn't match the fuel sensor reading, then replace the fuel sensor.

According to the possible causes, this could be one of them. Now here's another thought- have you ever replaced the fuel filter? If the fuel filter is like 100k miles old, then it's possible this would do it- however- WOW. If the fuel filter is not super old, and you change it regularly, then it's not worth looking at unless you find that your mechanical gauge gives you the same reading as the fuel sensor.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
TommyTooHi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90859
What I Drive: 2004 Red Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 TommyTooHi Good Standing Member
More thoughts....

Thanks for the input.
That's one possibility (fuel sensor) however there is no fuel test port anywhere.
I replaced the fuel filter last Sunday. And a new Motorcraft O2 sensor.

There are a few other possibilities, including fuel pump, but again, throwing parts at it has already been fruitles$.

Again, it sure looks, smells and tastes like a vacuum issue, but of course some electrical issue would mimic that.

I could get a new fuel line, cut it and T in my tester back after the fuel filter, but the pump sounds like it's priming with key on.

Thanks again, back on the motorcycle today...

-T_T

From searches:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210921
Quote:
Q: "Fuel Pressure test gauge hook-up
I have a 2003 2.3 zx3. Where do I hook up a fuel pressure test gauge?"

A: "You don't.
You need a scan tool that can read PID's."

Then:

"the only way on a car without a schrader valve on the rail is to T off a fuel line, seeing as though they are probably the plastic quick disconnect you'd want to buy a new line, and cut the old one and use some rubber hose and clamps to make it work. then put the new line on when you're done."

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I'm thinking the fuel sensor is bad. I'm not really familiar with any SVT differences between the fuel systems, so forgive me if I'm a bit generic here. Our fuel systems don't have a return line, so there is no fuel pressure regulator. There is a fuel sensor which gives the computer information about fuel pressure and temp. I think it's most likely bad because of its reading. Also, from what I understand SVTs do have a fitting on the end of the fuel rail where a mechanical tester can be used. This is hearsay, so maybe not accurate. If you can test it, and it doesn't match the fuel sensor reading, then replace the fuel sensor.

According to the possible causes, this could be one of them. Now here's another thought- have you ever replaced the fuel filter? If the fuel filter is like 100k miles old, then it's possible this would do it- however- WOW. If the fuel filter is not super old, and you change it regularly, then it's not worth looking at unless you find that your mechanical gauge gives you the same reading as the fuel sensor.

Mods: Caffeinated nut behind the steering wheel
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
TommyTooHi
Focus Enthusiast

439 views, bummer.
What do the Ferd techs use, is there a data logger, maybe?

My basic Innova obd2 scanner just shows/clears codes...

-T_T

Old 04-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Ford techs use their system to read it by software.

Electrical won't mimic the O2 not switching unless the O2 itself is bad. Weak ignition will not burn all O2, PCM responds by going too rich trying to correct and it becomes obvious.

On STANDARD zetec there is a spot on driver end of fuel rail that is where the fuel pressure fitting used to be or still is on Euro models. A plate with two bolts in it, when loosened feels like a rubber plug or o-ring in there. I didn't completely remove mine but wondering if it can be pulled and say a 1/8" pipe tap run in there to provide for a fitting of some sort to directly read it. Ain't got that far yet but someday..........

Pump priming up is no evidence of pressure at all.................PCM just runs it for 2 seconds and stops, it is not shutoff by a pressure reading.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
TommyTooHi
Focus Enthusiast

Fixed, the long way around...

right, actually saw a co-worker's zetec yesterday - port is right there.
However, and I'm a bit embarrassed that I missed it:

4/2: Edit -
Fixed it.
I should have paid more attention to the first code thrown - Cylinder #2 misfire.
Yup, the mani hose clamp right at the cylinder head came loose, sucking air. Couldn't see it during my first look-overs for vacuum leaks. Whaddya know... smelled, tasted, felt like a vacuum leak and it was.

A local Ford dealer (Sound, in Renton) had a "Talk To A Tech" email system set up - Brandt checked the VIN, and sent me a service bulletin on how to isolate vacuum leaks. That required a datalogger, but I read into it and started clamping/capping off vac lines, etc, which is when I saw the loose clamp.

Farkle me, glad that's over. Thanks for the board members input, too!

-T_T

Bookmarks & Social Networks