Focus Fanatics Forum banner

TPMS not functional?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  gopromiller 
#1 ·
I bought a set of aftermarket wheels & tires from Tire Rack for my 2012 Focus. Today I installed them and made no attempt to set the TPMS. Went for a 30 mile drive with no warning. I then stopped and let the air out of one tire to 17 lbs. I drove it 5 more miles without warning.

I know the car works since I got a nail in a tire this summer it showed a warning light at 19 lbs of air.

Any ideas?

It looks like I wasted money on the TPMS tool if nothing else.

Thanks

#2 ·
Not quite understanding the issue here.

You mentioned NOT setting the TPMS, either with the "tool" or by one of the "learning" methods I've seen mentioned here, yet you are worried it's not working right?

Unused tool is a waste?

Some have posted that the system will eventually "learn" the new sensors by itself (on newer cars like yours) but I don't remember how long it took. (thinking it's a bit longer than you gave it)

Using one of the self-learning methods, or the TPMS tool, is the way to get it working right immediately AFAIK.

#6 ·
Aha! - (understanding dawns)

Wife was worried the same way after reading Tire Rack info on sensors, ended up having tires swapped instead of just buying tires & rims and ignoring "idiot" light. (Honda)

Your current results ARE odd, it seems like you're in a "half learned" never never land - where the system is happy that there are sensors, but doesn't know what they should be telling it!

Try the TPMS tool as long as you have it, I'll look back & see if I can find that recent thread where a learning trick without the tool was posted....

#7 ·
The light will come on if the sensors aren't installed or working properly. I'm surprised you didn't have to train them. No light, no problem.

Matt

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Tapatalk

#8 ·
"What happens if I don't have TPMS" is the thread I saw with a LOT of info. & various results from swapping sensors.

On average, it seems like it takes 20 miles or more for the system to "recognize" new sensors - so you were close to that when you tested it.

The TPMS 'tool" may be the only "extra" not needed if you WANTED them to work, though waiting for them to START working without using that seems a bit of a PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.