Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ford's letter regarding the "PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics"

183K views 202 replies 77 participants last post by  cdn_guy 
#1 ·
After I scheduled my appointment with a ford dealer in TX, ford customer service sent this electronic letter to me...Sooo my understanding is that this car is built to make all kinds of weird noises.

PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics
Background

In 2010, Ford launched an all new transmission, PowerShift, an advanced six-speed automatic transmission based on manual transmission technology with class-leading fuel efficiency. This communication will help explain the technology and common operating characteristics of this new transmission found on the Fiesta and Focus in order to improve customer expectations and
experiences. PowerShift is an advanced automatic transmission technology
The PowerShift is really like two 3-speed manual transmissions put together, with the dual clutch and shifting components controlled electronically. Since most of the components are derived from a manual transmission, the PowerShift transmission will drive, sound, and feel like a manual transmission but without the driver interaction.

Service Personnel Support
Since PowerShift Transmission is a new technology, some customers might not be familiar with the normal driving characteristics of this transmission. Service support personnel should be aware of the normal operating characteristics and be able to differentiate between normal characteristics and abnormal symptoms that require service. The following information will
assist with addressing certain potential customer concerns.

Common Characteristics of the PowerShift Transmission
Common Sounds a driver may notice are:

• Double clicking metal sounds. These noises can likely be heard while driving on very smooth surfaces during a 1-2 upshift or a 3-2-1coast down. The sounds occur with every gear engagement, but generally cannot be heard over the background engine, road and wind noises at higher speeds. Most noticeable if the windows are down and the radio is off, these sounds are of the shift forks moving and the synchronizers engaging a gear (similar to a manual transmission). These shifting sounds are part of normal operation.
• Coast down whine. A slight gear whine while slowing or coasting is normal
• Clicking sounds after the engine is turned off. As the vehicle is powered down, the
transmission will cycle the clutches to the released position so it is ready for a safe restart of the engine. This is part of normal operation. Clicking sounds from the
transmission immediately after the engine is turned off are normal.
• Low speed grinding. A slight grinding noise may be heard at about 2 MPH. This noise
is more evident during “trailer-hitching” events (see below). This noise is caused by a
normal bearing rotation and does not affect the durability of the transmission.
• Reverse gear whine. Some PowerShift transmissions will exhibit gear whine in reverse. The level of whine has been significantly reduced in later build vehicles, but can still be detected to some level. This is characteristic of many manual transmissions, and is not a defect or a situation in which a repair should be attempted

Trailer-hitching feel.
Some customers may experience a trailer-hitching feel (or a slight
bumping feel). The trailer-hitching feel may occur in lower forward gears – particularly if the customer is off and on the throttle quickly. It may be more noticeably in a parking lot or when a customer is doing multiple on/off throttle pedal maneuvers. This trailer-hitching/engagement feel is a normal characteristic of the dry clutch-equipped manual transmission design.
Conversely, conventional automatic transmissions are equipped with a torque converter. The torque converter is a fluid coupling device which dampens these positive engagements feels. Diagnostic tips to be used during service visit When evaluating a customer experience regarding this transmission, first compare to a like vehicle. The like vehicle should be at the same transmission fluid temperature as the customer’s vehicle. Sounds will change as the transmission oil changes temperature and viscosity. If the suspect sound is similar to a like transmission at the same temperature, then it is most likely a normal characteristic and no repair attempt should be made.

If the vehicle loses electrical power due to the removal of a power or ground battery cable, or the battery discharges, the transmission will perform an initial system status check upon power restore to verify shift motor position. This results in a series of mechanical noises for 10-30 seconds. The transmission will not engage and the vehicle will not move while this is
happening. This is normal after an electrical power loss to the transmission.

“Green” clutch break-in period
New, replacement, and reset clutches are “green” and require a break in period before shift event quality is maximized. During the break-in period, green clutches may exhibit:
• A rattle noise similar to a loose catalytic converter shield. This noise is commonly heard after light throttle 1-2, 2-3 or 3-4 upshifts. This rattle noise will diminish greatly as the clutch completes the break-in.
• A take-off shudder/launch judder (shaky vs. smooth).
• A harsh-shift feel during the first few cold shifts before the transmission reaches operating temperature.

All of the above conditions will diminish and the customer will notice progressively better launch and smoother shifting within the first few hundred miles of mixed driving as clutch break-in occurs. Note: The break-in process may take longer for highway driving, where the clutch is not shifting.
The transmission will automatically learn and make adaptations during shifting events, so it is important to evaluate after allowing sufficient driving time for adaptations to occur. This green clutch feel may reappear if the clutch touch points are reset and/or the clutch is removed and/or replaced. The condition may last longer for a clutch replacement than a reset. A reset may take up to 100 miles to get the new touch points learned to the point of not making
any of the out-of-adjustment noise. A clutch replacement may take up to 1000 miles to reach break-in dependent on the customer style of driving.
The break-in period can be minimized by performing the adaptive drive cycle exactly as described in the Workshop Manual, Section 307-11 (Fiesta) and 307-01 (Focus)

See less See more
#115 ·
Wow... I have all these symptoms with mine. So, I guess Ford wants me to believe this is normal? In reality I am thinking, "Ok, well -- it's under warranty for another year, so I'll live with it".

I am also thinking that it's not "Normal", but rather insanely poor engineering if they want customers to live with all of these and accept it as "Normal".

Between this, and the ongoing My Ford Touch fiasco, as much as I may like my car otherwise, I cannot in good conscience buy another Ford. Sorry guys, but I don't think Ford understands they are losing more than some PR over these issues, they are losing customers. :-(

#116 ·
I have a 2014 with DCT. It shifts perfectly. Amazingly smooth. I never hear any noises and the shift points are really good. The DCT is actually one of the highlights of the car.

If it started to make noise or slip. There would be no way Ford could convince me that it could be considered normal after experiencing none of that nonsense.

#118 ·
I have a 2014 with DCT. It shifts perfectly. Amazingly smooth. I never hear any noises and the shift points are really good. The DCT is actually one of the highlights of the car.
A while back Ford gave a copy of that letter to my wife (2012SEL HB) when she had clutch chatter and slipping between 1-2 upshifts. I then recently purchased a 2014 Ti HB that is perfect when it comes to the DCT. (much better than my sisters VW) After driving the 14 for a while I took the 12 back and told them that the 12 is not normal. At that point, because the 14 was so good they agreed to change the clutches in the 12. Clutches were back ordered but now in and car is at dealer today for repair. Hopefully it is as nice as the 14 when we get it back.
These are really good reports and I hope the 2014 models are better in this regard. It is sad that Ford tried to convince you that your 2012 clutch chatter was normal. You were in the unique situation of owning two Foci and had a 2014 to compare it to. The real test will be time. Hopefully, your tranny will remain smooth as silk.

#117 ·
A while back Ford gave a copy of that letter to my wife (2012SEL HB) when she had clutch chatter and slipping between 1-2 upshifts. I then recently purchased a 2014 Ti HB that is perfect when it comes to the DCT. (much better than my sisters VW) After driving the 14 for a while I took the 12 back and told them that the 12 is not normal. At that point, because the 14 was so good they agreed to change the clutches in the 12. Clutches were back ordered but now in and car is at dealer today for repair. Hopefully it is as nice as the 14 when we get it back.

#119 ·

If it started to make noise or slip. There would be no way Ford could convince me that it could be considered normal after experiencing none of that nonsense.
Yes, it's about good (or bad) service, and not the DCT.
We know that the DCT is capable of working properly and thus can be fixed if it's not.

It amazes me how many people are complaining about the DCT and not about bad service.
On top of that, people actually reward their dealer's bad service by trading their car in.

#123 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a 2014 focus se. I looked all over the internet for anything about changes or adjustments made for the 2014 dct. So far I read that some 2014's still have the problems and some don't. I don't want to buy a car if it may give me problems like others posted in this thread. I would just like to know what's up with the 2014 dct.

#127 ·
I've unfortunately just complete 60,000 miles on my Titanium.
It has been in for transmission noises numerous times. After the 3rd clutch it started to become funny that their clutches would only last 10,000 miles.
I really should have been more adamant about the issue. The fourth time I went into get a clutch I got this letter. The service manager, and the trans tech did test drives with me. The tech might have been a little too honest about his feelings on this transmission. He is sorry about the letter but Ford has changed their stance on what the transmission should act like. There are certain tests they do and if it doesnt fail on those tests or matches something from the letter than all they can do is document the issue. And that is all they can do.
I cant fathom getting any one to purchase this car used. How do you tell someone that the poor characteristics are 'normal?' Just hand them the letter. I know I would go on to the next car.
I've also had to have the entire SYNC system replaced.
With such long delays between issues it has made it impossible for this to turn into a Lemon car issue.
Thankfully I got an extended warranty

#141 ·
I am not familiar enough with the DCT (so I don't know what bearings it has or doesn't have) but has anyone had any of the bearings in the trans go bad and need replacement? I'm not referring to the seal that causes the clutches to get wet and fail but the actual bearings on the input/output shafts of the transmission...

#142 ·
So the vehicle is now at the dealer and they've acknowledged that they "hear the noise" and they suspect it may (or may not [8]) be coming from the transmission...I will keep all posted! [?|]

[loveff]

#147 ·
Agreed. And I am a die hard fan of the Blue Oval.

My wife's coworker bought a '14 Focus SE sedan and guess what, it just had its clutch replaced with under 10k on the odometer. The loaner I was given while my '13 was in the shop for a transmission rebuild was a '13 sedan that had an awful, defective and quite frankly dangerous clutch in it - I was getting stared at every time I accelerated from a stop or intersection because people probably assumed I was a 16 year old learning how to drive stick. The steering wheel would jump a few inches vertically with the amount of shuddering the car was doing; it was embarassing.

I am disappointed that a reputable transmission manufacturer / big 3 auto maker combination pumped out such an unreliable component. I will be selling my Focus when the warranty is no longer effective.

Oh and if you want to bash how "I don't know how to drive a stick" or "I don't understand DCT technology" then, by all means, go ahead.

I should have just bought the ST...

#150 ·
Mine is being done this week. I'll get it back on thursday as of right now assuming no delays in parts. I'll definately chime in after i get it back and again after a few hundred, thousand and hopefully more miles pass. At 75 miles a day in LA traffic, i'll pile on miles quick and put the 'fix' to the test.

#157 ·
Won our BBB Lemon Law case in arbiration

Late update....We filed a BBB lemon law case in Michigan in March. There were several steps involved such as more test driving, delays, and dealer visits, but we won our case in arbitration. Ford purchased the car back in early July. As for the financial end, we feel like we made our point to some degree. Our down payment and pro-rated taxes were returned to us so we could purchase another vehicle. Thanks to all for your support. This forum and others like it (Edmunds, etc.) were the only source of hope that we had during this entire ordeal until we finally decided to file a Lemon Law case with the Better Business Bureau. They treated us with tremendous professionalism and we can't say enough good things about them.

Good luck to all.

Nancy

#158 ·
Late update....We filed a BBB lemon law case in Michigan in March. There were several steps involved such as more test driving, delays, and dealer visits, but we won our case in arbitration. Ford purchased the car back in early July. As for the financial end, we feel like we made our point to some degree. Our down payment and pro-rated taxes were returned to us so we could purchase another vehicle. Thanks to all for your support. This forum and others like it (Edmunds, etc.) were the only source of hope that we had during this entire ordeal until we finally decided to file a Lemon Law case with the Better Business Bureau. They treated us with tremendous professionalism and we can't say enough good things about them.

Good luck to all.

Nancy
Glad you got your case resolved. Just curious, but when you say "Ford bought the car back," does that mean it's at the purchase price you paid or the current market price?

#159 ·
I just got the latest TSB applied with the Rev D Clutch pack, all my problems with transmission disappeared, aside from the car is still annoying to drive in stop and go slow traffic in D mode.

What amazes me is the so called "tolerance test" they perform to green light the fix, I was told upfront that if it doesn't fail the test, Ford won't authorize replacement. After repeated attempts to get it fixed at 3 different Ford Dealers, the Customer Satisfaction letter came a couple of weeks ago mentioning the Powershit Transmission, so I made an appointment and dropped it off and the dealer had it for 5 days, waiting for parts to arrive.

So when I go to pick it up, the Service Writer stated that they tested the transmission 6 or 7 times and that it almost didn't fail, but did on the last test. I was like, isn't it obvious there is something wrong here?

Time will tell if this is a fix or just a band-aid, I'm hoping it solves it. The extended warranty is nice, but in all honesty I lost my taste for Ford and the car after dealing with the dealerships telling me for over 1.5 years, that the issues I was having with my transmission were normal and that's the way it is. The transmission issues in my opinion were dangerous, I had total loss of throttle and throttle response turning into oncoming traffic, going through intersections and pulling out in front of traffic. Just normal driving modes.

I was close to pulling a Lemon on it, but the rules in Florida are based on how long the car is in the shop and how many times for the same problem. I'm also not a in a good predicament financially to get a replacement, so for now I'm stuck with it. Hopefully the fix will ease my pain until I can trade it in and now is not a good time since used cars are not moving too well, people are buying new.

#160 ·
I am glad (after two years plus) that Ford has now issued a voluntary recall for the DCT transmission problems. I think in this one case, Ford had treated their loyal customers miserably and with no respect.

At this point hopefully owners can get the support they needed from day one, as they were told by dealers verbally and in writing that all those symptoms were normal and/or that they were driving it wrong (until now Ford has issued a voluntary recall-completely invalidating that)

The voluntary recall by Ford should put an end to the mis-information from dealers as well as the misguided ford supporters who thought people were unfairly pushing this subject. And also the odd collection of DIY fixes posters were pushing like WOT.

It would be great if the guy who created the 4-page "everything is normal" memo could be forced to consume it on nationwide TV.

It turns out that the posters here who wouldn't let up on this were merely....correct.

Best wishes to all, I said I'd be done when a recall was issued and it has been, Steve

#162 ·
I did not think the Customer Satisfaction Program letter was a recall? Dealer told me that a few people brought their cars in and a number did not past the threshold test to replace the clutch packs, but still had shuddering issues.

When I dropped my car off yesterday, there was another Focus in front of me, the owner was in a heated discussion with another Service Writer say that the car was not safe to drive and that she didn't want her Daughter driving it further till it was fixed, the Service Writer said openly that the transmission is a bad design. I was told by another service tech that they replace one clutch pack a week currently and have turned away some customers based on Ford's unwillingness to do 100% replacement.

I have had complete loss of throttle in traffic, intersections and etc, the car was dangerous to drive in my opinion and I'm surprised the NHTSA did not require them to do a mass recall due to safety issues. I think this may bite Ford in the backside down the road if there are any fatalities due to it.

I'm done with Ford and the Focus after all these shenanigans.

#163 ·
I did not think the Customer Satisfaction Program letter was a recall?..
Hey guys,

I'm seeing some understandable confusion with the different terms used. Here are some definitions to help you guys out. :)

A Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) is an available upgrade to a specific component or an extension of an existing warranty. Customer Satisfaction Programs are VIN specific and time and mileage limitations do apply.
A dealership must review a customer's original receipts to determine if a refund for repairs completed prior to a program announcement can be applied for. All refund requests must be submitted through the dealership.
Depending upon the type of Customer Satisfaction Program launched, concerns may or may not need to be present in order for the repair to be completed.

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety or emissions related concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles. Ford Motor Company will repair those vehicles specifically mentioned in a recall announcement and programs are VIN specific. If a program is announced on a specific component, Ford will notify you by mail. Should you receive a letter, we suggest you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment. All recall and customer satisfaction program repairs must be completed by an authorized Ford or Lincoln dealer and will be performed at no charge.
In order to receive a refund, the vehicle's owner will need to submit the original repair receipts to any Ford or Lincoln dealer in the U.S. for review. Repairs completed at a non-Ford dealer are not eligible for reimbursement unless the owner paid for the repair prior to the recall announcement.
Provisions for rental vehicles vary by recall program and the owner letter received will provide loaner details of a loaner provision if included. Your local Ford dealer will also have details on rentals associated with recall programs.

A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is a supplement to a vehicle's repair manual and does not suggest nor provide additional coverage. Coverage of any repair is determined by eligibility under the provisions of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, a Customer Satisfaction Program or a Recall.

In short, Customer Satisfaction Programs and TSB's are not recalls.

I hope this helps!

Meagan

#166 ·
2012 powershift dud

Just bought a 2012 focus with powershift having driven a 2013 fusion while in the states. Cannot believe the difference. When warmed up, (so not evident on test drive), my focus judders and shakes from take off thru (what i think is) gears 1-3. It cannot cope with any incline, or wet surface - not much cop living in damp old England. It is simply by far the worst auto i have ever driven in 35 years. Dealer wants to attempt fix. Im not interested and want my money back. Anyone else had similar issue and successfully off loaded this terrible car back to ford?

#167 ·
Just bought a 2012 focus with powershift having driven a 2013 fusion while in the states. Cannot believe the difference. When warmed up, (so not evident on test drive), my focus judders and shakes from take off thru (what i think is) gears 1-3. It cannot cope with any incline, or wet surface - not much cop living in damp old England. It is simply by far the worst auto i have ever driven in 35 years. Dealer wants to attempt fix. Im not interested and want my money back. Anyone else had similar issue and successfully off loaded this terrible car back to ford?
If you test drove it before purchasing, why didn't you turn down the terrible car then?

#174 ·
My significant others fiesta has been re flashed 3x and is now having the clutch replaced (as of 30 minutes ago). Ford is going to be hanging on to it for 12 weeks due to the back order on the clutch packs. They have refused however to replace the entire transmission which doesn't make sense to me as it certainly may have been damaged by the apparently bad clutch. I know if I was grinding gear with my manual transmission I probably should not expect a long transmission life.

Pretty greatly concerned about the possibility of any longevity out of this vehicle at this point. 100k in warranty is ****

Have reached out to the BBB, my states AG, as well as a lemon law attorney. Pretty upset with Ford.

30k miles on it. 2013 model year.

Edit: Oops this is a focus forum. Either way you guys seem on top of this. Any other actions I should be taking here?

#175 ·
You're doing everything, and more, already.

A lot of people are in the same boat as you. And just as out of luck. Even those who sold were put in the same pathetic situation. Yes, at one point I was supportive of post-sales support. Once I got the runarounds and not having visits documented like how they're supposed to be, and delays, and finding out that newer clutch packs are designed to be washed and reused (if the dry assembly has fluid leaking into it...)

Not replacing the whole transmission (grinding gears will hurt mechanical components' longevity), and some people have had to had motor mounts replaced because of the vibrating this defect causes.

Also look up a breach of warranty contract suit, since chances are that the lemon law is one you won't be able to use. If you win such a suit, you'll get a pittance (difference of KBB value in excellent condition minus KBB value in good condition... think a few hundred or a thousand dollars.)

Even people who sold their car, which is quite a few based on what people have said here and on other forums, should keep aware of the situation with the 2012-present vehicles. Nothing's changed, except for clutch packs designed to be washable as opposed to being replaced if contaminated with fluid (another post on FocusForums documented rev F's changes and now being washable). The warranty extension is a joke, especially if things are not being fixed properly. Those who have an extended warranty have heard nothing about their expensive post-purchase packages being extended as well, since everyone else was getting an extension. So customers have a right to be upset.

Indeed, and again, we are told that the adaptive learning system will learn how to drive the car better. This means the shuddering and other problems would go away. Not get worse over time, and certainly not when the car drives perfect for the first x miles but then develops the (well-known) problems, then being told how the computer will learn and make it better - even when it gets worse. The claim is illogical, as case after case has proven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.