2006 Focus hesitating upon acceleration - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
coachkevin559
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83852
What I Drive: 2006 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 coachkevin559 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2006 Focus hesitating upon acceleration

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. I own a 06 Focus ZX3 w/ a 2.0 L engine. I just bought it and it seemed to run ok when I test drove it so I bought it. I was on the way home and it seemed to hesitate when I was accelerating.It seems like it's sputtering, or hesitating on acceleration. Can anybody help, or have experienced these problems with a similar focus? It doesn't seem do it all the time but quite often. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
coachkevin559
Focus Rookie

I'm going to start with changing the Fuel & Air Filter. Any suggestions as far as brands or should I just stick to the basics?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,115, Level 97
Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'd pin it on the fuel filter first, but instead of trying to figure the "lifetime" air cleaner out, concentrate on the spark plugs and spark plug boots. Those vehicles have coil on plug ignition so no plug wires, just a boot that goes from the coil to the plug. Pull the boot off and look for corrosion where the spring connects to the coil. To pull the boot off, twist it to break it loose, and you should be able to work it off. Clean off corrosion, and put some grease on there to prevent it in the future.

Now plugs are about the most important thing in these engines. More than one FF member has found Bosch plugs to be lacking as compared to Motorcraft factory part or our favorite the Autolite plug. When purchasing the Autolite plugs, we've found that the 103 plug, which is one step colder, performs better than the 104 plug in some situations. This has more to do with fuel quality than anything. If you regularly run 87 octane, and live at a low altitude, or high temperature area- then you might be better off with the 103. Higher altitudes and lower temp areas are better suited to the 104. If you run mid or premium fuel, then you won't notice any benefit- maybe a slight drop in fuel economy. IMO you should test your vehicle to see if higher octane fuels are cost efficient, and always test all fuels in your local route to see which is best for your car- 2 tanks of each. Always check your plug gap, which should be .050-.055, and always use a tad bit of anti-seize on the plug threads.

If you notice oil on the spark plugs- then you need a new valve cover gasket. Start a new thread on the subject and we'll advise you about that.

Your air filter is a lifetime open cell foam filter. Look in your owner's manual for the procedure to check the air flow. If it's bad, then you might want to seek an aftermarket replacement because those factory replacements are ridiculously expensive. This was a dumb idea, and Ford stopped doing that in the 08 model year. There is plenty of information about the pros and cons of CAI and SRI aftermarket replacement filters in the Duratec Performance Chat forum.

A "tune-up" can't be complete without removing the MAF and cleaning it. You clean it with electrical parts cleaner or MAF spray cleaner. The MAF is located in the vertical intake tube, and you must first remove the 90 degree section behind the headlight to get to the lower intake tube. You'll see a red section on the top of the clip- slide that back, then you can press on the clip to remove the electrical connection from the MAF. Use a T15 Torx screwdriver tip (some have small flat head slots) to remove the MAF. You can't put it in backwards, so don't worry. You'll see 2 slots on the edge of the MAF- that's where you spray your cleaner. Don't stick the straw in the slots because you might damage the resistors in there- that would be a $150 mistake- if not more.

The fuel filter is located (check the How-To archive link in my signature or on the blue banner above) under the passenger rear side of the vehicle between the exhaust and the fuel tank. You'll need an 8mm or 5/16 socket and small extension (I use 1/4 drive) to remove the bracket screw holding the fuel filter. The fuel line clips DO NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED. Older Fords had removable clips- so I stress that. Simply press on the flat white part of the clip and scrunch the end of the line- then pull off. Remember to discharge the fuel pressure in the system by pulling the fuel pump fuse or disconnecting the fuel cut-off switch, then starting the car and allowing it to die off. You could also unplug the fuel pump control module under the passenger side rear seat. If you don't do this, then you'll surely get fuel in the eyes, mouth, or nose. That's not fun when you're laying under a car. You'll see that there is a small section of fuel line with a connector at the end on one side of the fuel filter. I remove that with the filter because it's easier to remove and install with that part attached to the fuel filter. Fuel filters are commonly overlooked routine maintenance. I can't tell you how many problems are solved with regular fuel filter replacement intervals of 25k/1yr. I always change these immediately on all used vehicles I purchase, and maintain regular changes to increase the life of my fuel pumps.

Fuel filter, MAF cleaning, plug inspection/replacement, and plug boot inspection/replacement is basically the tune up for our vehicles unless you have an aftermarket air filter to clean as well. You can also reset the ECU after doing this by pulling the negative battery terminal (I check those on used vehicles too) for 10 minutes. I do this with a warm engine. Then after you reconnect the terminal, start the car, and allow it to idle for 5 minutes after the idle drops down to 1k rpm. The ECU is doing an air/fuel test that takes 5 minutes. If you have a tach, you'll notice the rpm drop when the test is complete. Until the test completes (and it will keep trying every time you idle if you don't let it complete the test) the idle will be around 1k rpm. Afterwards it should drop to 700 or so, a little higher for ATs.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
coachkevin559
Focus Rookie

Thank you so much for all your help!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 230,345, Level 100
Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
^^ He's good. :)..and yes, I would start with the fuel filter first as well, and then go after the plugs and wires if the filter didn't solve things
Old 03-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Focus7081
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83591
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Focus7081 Good Standing Member
Mine did the same after I bought mine (few weeks ago).

The list above is good. I did below.

Plugs - Napa
Wires - Napa (their best)
Coil pack (I did mine). Used Accel - Carshopinc.com
K&N drop in filter - O'Rilley
PCV valve - Napa
Fuel filter - Pep Boys
Two bottles of "B12 injector cleaner" in gas - Walmart
One can of "Sea Foam injector cleaner" down the TB while running the car. Pour slow. - Walmart
Cleaned MAF sensor - Pep Boys

Seems to have solved it.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
mickeyaaaa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111009
What I Drive: 2006 Blood Red ZXW SES Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 mickeyaaaa Good Standing Member
I have the exact thing today. Just bought it today - it didn't hesitate on the test drive but did on the way home...not too worried after the great tune up post above - thanks!

Will post results on what I found and what solved the hesitation - I'm sure ppl would like to find out the actual cause from posters like me...

I had a 2002 spi wagon and got a heckuva deal on this 2006 for myself - a zxw ses with only 160,000 kms
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
mickeyaaaa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111009
What I Drive: 2006 Blood Red ZXW SES Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 mickeyaaaa Good Standing Member
Solved!

It is winter here in Canada and the roads are still icy.

My new 2006 wagon has traction control. My old 2002 did not.

I turned off traction control. no more hesitation, lots of wheel spin. yay!

Good to know there is nothing wrong with my new purchase.

Unfortunately, traction control will turn on by default every time i start the car....is there a hard wire way to disable it? I don't like the traction control, it cuts the engine and engages the brakes! Makes me think there is something wrong like a bad plug or wire or injector....
Old 03-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,115, Level 97
Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey man... try starting your own thread about how to disable traction control. I don't personally know, but someone should know. You might even want to try posting the new thread in the ECU Tuning Chat section.

I'm not sure if there is even a way to do that even if you have a programmer.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks