Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Project FSP Focus is kicked off!!!

58K views 182 replies 32 participants last post by  JustinT 
#1 ·
So, after much thought on what to do for a another car, I've picked up a car that should meet my needs and keep me occupied for a while. I wanted to get a car that would be more competitive in a given class in SCCA autox. I also wanted a car that would be good for the occasional PDX, as our SCCA region is starting a new PDX and TT program.

I'm starting this thread in the autox section, because while it will involve engine and suspension work, and the main focus will be to build a FSP competitive car.

So the car is a 2003 ZX3 with a 2.3L duratec, pictures are below:D Thanks to BlackcatN2O for finding it on craigslist originally. So on with some pics:

There is quite a mess of vacuum lines by the intake manifold, going take some work to get this sorted out.[wrenchin]

See less See more
#6 ·
That's a VERY nice starting point. What kind of rubber? Safe to assume H&R Race with Koni's?

#7 ·
For tires, I'm going to run my hankooks till they're gone, then some V710's, probably mid season.

H&R Race with Konis for sure. Look for a full build plan added to this thread soon.

#8 ·
bad ass car! i love white hatch's! and the cossie mani is always nice too. quick question for some one tho. i plan to do some auto crossing this summer and i have h&r race with agx's. whats the difference between the koni's and the agx's? and will that with stock svt sways be a decent set up for autox? sorry for taking it a little off topic.

#11 ·
I better get my build plans for this car posted before they get bumped off the first page!

This is going to really be a spec, FSP build (F Street Prepared), to be very competitive locally, and maybe even go to some nation events.

Suspension is of course key to any autox car, so here are the planned details there:
-Koni Yellows
-H&R Race
-Stock or 22mm front sway bar (not decided yet)
-Adjustable rear sway
-K-Mac camber plates
-Rear camber adjustment (trying to determine if adjustable camber links are allowed)
-Poly bushings all around
-Front and rear strut bars
-Engine mounts

Brakes:
-SVT rear conversion, since this will be a PDX car
-Hawk pads
-Centric rotors

Power:
-Cosworth CAI and Intake Manifold
-CFM throttle body
-Focussport header and flex pipe
-2.5" borla exhaust
-Custom tune

Weight savings and other misc. upgrades:
-A/C delete
-Racing seats
-Harness
-Stereo and speaker delete

So that's the rough plan, keep an eye on this thread for upgrades through out the year. Priority right now is to get the full exhaust installed, delete the EGR system, and get the custom tune. This will let me compete with the car while I work on getting the suspension together.

Stay tuned[headbang]

#18 ·
cool! i wish i had a 2.3. I have a FSP car too, but im stuck with a zetec.

although i haev a couple comments on your proposed mods.

-stick with the stock front sway bar, or go smaller, you will need to be able to keep the front tires on the ground to put the power down.
-camber bolts are allowed, im not sure about replacing control arms though
-im not sure of the legality of SVT brakes on FSP car.(but ST brakes would be legal as per the update/backdate rule)
-also legal for FSP is a LSD, and you can cut the fenders and put on flares
Suspension is of course key to any autox car, so here are the planned details there:
-Koni Yellows
-H&R Race
-Stock or 22mm front sway bar (not decided yet)
-Adjustable rear sway
-K-Mac camber plates
-Rear camber adjustment (trying to determine if adjustable camber links are allowed)
-Poly bushings all around
-Front and rear strut bars
-Engine mounts

Brakes:
-SVT rear conversion, since this will be a PDX car
-Hawk pads
-Centric rotors

Power:
-Cosworth CAI and Intake Manifold
-CFM throttle body
-Focussport header and flex pipe
-2.5" borla exhaust
-Custom tune

Weight savings and other misc. upgrades:
-A/C delete
-Racing seats
-Harness
-Stereo and speaker delete

Stay tuned[headbang]

#15 ·
Actually, the wheels should clear the rear brake setup, though we may just do a test fit before I buy some. I test fit my wheel on a front brake of an SVT, and it had about a mm of clearance. The rear setup is smaller.

#20 ·
You can run the rear discs as an update/backdate for 2001+ cars with Advancetrac. They may even be the same as SVT brakes...

LCR > KMac plates IMO. Leo gives alot to the Focus community as well...

I agree that a slightly larger FSB will be a good thing. The Muellers ordered a 7/8 (22.25mm +/- .75) 3-way bar for their car.

#24 ·
You can run the rear discs as an update/backdate for 2001+ cars with Advancetrac. They may even be the same as SVT brakes...

the advance trac rear discs are roughly an inch smaller. found out the hard way,lol. but they still work very well. (hawk pads and centric blanks)

the master cylinder is the same for both drum and disc cars.
might want to look into a traction control delete if the car doesnt have one.
(or if it even has traction control)

#21 ·
Regarding the adjustable arm, I should be able to use the SPC arms under rule 15.8 H, which says that linking arms can be replaced, as long as they meet the bushing requirements.

As for the rear brakes, per the rules, a drum to disk conversion can be performed as long as the disk diameter is greater than drum OD, and the replacement system bolts on, it can be completed. So I couldn't do the fronts, but I think that have a disk set up for the rears would make PDX's and mountain drives a little more enjoyable.

#26 ·
The car doesn't have traction control, but does have ABS. I will probably pull the abs fuse during events. Regarding the master cylinder on the brakes, I'll have to do some research on that to make sure I get the correct bias. The rules also have a provision that any master cyclinder can be run, so maybe something with adjustment? We'll see.

Header, flex, and some general maintance stuff is on the way. Should start tearing off stuff over the weekend.

#27 ·
Looks like a good project Bill. It should be a excellent car by the time your done with it.
No wonder you came on first two weeks ago at the Summerville event, you know your stuff :)
By the way, what is PDX? I think TT stands for Time Trials, right?

#30 ·
Hey Constantine, good to hear from you.

PDX is SCCA's version of track days, and is similar to NASA's HDPE program. Its really about running at the track wide open, with the same safety gear you can use for an autox. Its a good place to start if you're interested in trying out time trials, and yeah TT is time trials. Time trials, call for extra safety gear, suit, SA helmet, roll bar, etc.

#33 ·
Ok, quick non-exciting update:

I changed the oil on the car and the sparkplugs, no signs of any crazy abuse there. I've got a focus sport header and flex pipe ready to go on, just need to get rolling on that.

Right now I have a target date of April 18 to get the engine tuned and running good, and have some koni's installed and ready to go.

#35 ·
Yeah the install, at least what we got done, went well. This week I need to finish cleaning up the support bracket that goes from the engine block to the header. I'll hit this with some engine paint to keep it from rusting again.

Then I can get everything back in place on the engine, and bolt on the 2.5inch borla exhaust.

Need to determine what all I can remove of the EGR and evap emmissions system and keep the engine running too.

#36 ·
Hi Bill. Great job so far! Looking forward to seeing the beast in action at Michelin!

Hi Constantine! You coming to Michelin?

Bill, I mirror Erik's comment about LCR>KMac. I was his first customer to get the race plates for Koni Yellows and he used them as a guinea pig for the top nuts. He had some custom-made and now knows the thread and pitch count for future cusotmers (hopefully you :))

Are you thinking Hawk HPS or HP+? I would recommend HP+ if you are considering track days. I <3 mine.

Don't forget to get Goodridge braided lines all around! :)

OH, have fun with the front control arm bushings. What a PITA.

#37 ·
Bill, I mirror Erik's comment about LCR>KMac. I was his first customer to get the race plates for Koni Yellows and he used them as a guinea pig for the top nuts. He had some custom-made and now knows the thread and pitch count for future cusotmers (hopefully you :))

OH, have fun with the front control arm bushings. What a PITA.
Well, my only grief with LCR, was when they sent me the plates that are on my other focus, they sent one Koni nut and one standard nut. Of course I assembled the standard nut first and ended up having to disassble both sides again, and reinstall the stock plates. Then LCR wouldn't just send me a replacement nut, I had to return the one I had first. Then they "lost" the nut I sent them. Luckily after asking them to quote me a cost for sending me the correct nut, the found the one I mailed them and sent me a replacement one. So then another disassembly of the struts and springs, and this time with the reinstall, I stripped the hex fitting at the top of one of the strut rods, so if I have to disassemble my struts again, I will have to by new front struts.

Cotrol arm bushings shouldn't be too bad, this car has aftermarket springs in it, so removed once before, and its a southern california car.

#39 ·
Well, this is the 2nd focus I've owned, bought it used in January '09. My first car was a '89 Aerostar Van[hihi]

The 2004 focus that I have, I bought new in 2005, and really enjoyed the car. Originally I wanted a 2.3L in this car, but I couldn't find one in Michigan with a manual, or without a ton of options.

I've gotten into autox in the past year or so, and I wanted to get a competitive car to dedicate to autox and track days. I also wanted a car that had a bit more power. I think that a 2.3L focus can really be a competitive car in FSP, so I set out to find one. Other pro's include, I know how to work on foci now, and a first gen focus can be had for a good price.

Its not that I set out to build a high performance car, I've set a goal to build a car that performs the best within SCCA's autox rules.

#48 ·
Quick update, was a bit hungover on saturday, but I got the header bolted back on, and everything back in place in the engine bay. I did the completely unecessary thing of starting the car up with just a header[wiggle]

I think I can still be on track for having the car drivable in competition by April 18th. Items left to do for that date:

-Weld on bung to the flexpipe for the wideband O2
-Install exhuast
-Route wideband wiring into cable and get the wideband wired up and running
-Get initial tune and do data logging for custom tune
-Install koni yellows

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.