Focus Fanatics Forum banner

I need horsepower!!!!!!!!!!!!

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jlawlax1344 
#1 ·
What are some ways to get some more power out of my 2.0 SPI

2001 focus LX

p.s. i put a K&N FIPK Series Air Intake in already :]

#3 ·
SPI's arent completely terrible, i see you already have the air intake good. you could add a cat back exhaust system and a high flow cat will also help.
I have one built by magnaflow and it sounds BEAST!!!!! anyway it gives good power as well. SPI motors are good for torque but not horsepower. torque is what gets you off the line. my buddy has a zetec and we've raced, my car will get ahead of him but he'll catch me in the top end but by the time he does its the end of the drag strip. parts for this motor are hard to find but some parts from a zetec will fit or can be modified. the zetec has more aftermarket support than the spi will ever have so going with a zetec aint a bad idea either. I stuck with the spi though because im hard headed and i really think the spi deserves a little more respect. but best of luck

#5 ·
There is a head kit on AndysAutosport that is quite pricy (for that amount I would just do a ZETEC swap) but here is the link
http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/...d_packages/gude_performance/gude00000021.html

Also I have never used this part so I cannot vouch for it. I have ordered from them before they're a decent company with low prices, just make sure you check the product before you accept any packages =)

#8 ·
without custom fabrication there isnt a whole lot to be done to the SPI, but I personally love this engine. I have about 110k on it, and it still drives great. If you want a little more fun out of it you can do I/H/E with some gasket matching on the intake mani and exhaust manifold/header you will need to have a custom flange made (but if you have good friends, you can have someone made for cheap!!! my buddy is a machineist and he will make a stainless flange for about 30 for me.) And after all that you could look for a TB 65mm or bigger, then top it off with a tune...anything past that its all $$$$$ for boost. Currently my build is on hold, and i am continuing the build started by jrdyfocus84 ( look him up and read his once build thread) i plan on having it done by mayish of next year. Without boost on a N/A build, without serious engine upgrades, and a custom cam, in the area of 250hp and 230ish lbs of torque is the top end with everything else done, now that would be a ton of fun, but i always want to push it. Im finishing this build that he started, and looking for 300whp and torque as a baseline, based off what he has and what i plan on doing...im trying for 450whp and up, just so I get to laugh at my brother when a ford focus FWD sedan, beasts his 3.7l v6 2012 mustang with cams, adj gears, borla exhaust, long tube headers, and an aluminum 1 piece drive shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.