2012 - 2014 SelectShift transaxle - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
hawkeye18
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 134497
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch - Perf. Blue

FF Reputation: 1 hawkeye18 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The hardest thing to do when driving a manual (or a DCT) nowadays is pacing traffic... hardest mentally, anyway. On the highway, during a traffic jam traffic has the tendency to be completely stopped, then to rocket up to 20mph for about 200ft, then slam on the brakes back to a halt for a few seconds, then repeat ad nauseam...

What I did in my Mustang (which is what I traded in for my '13 Titanium hatch DCT) was to let the clutch out in 1st and coast at idle speed (~4-5mph) while traffic in front of me rocketed ahead. By the time I caught up to the car in front, he was accelerating again. This way, I just left 1st engaged for several minutes in a row until we were clear of the obstruction and then I went on my way. What this does is smooth the pulses of traffic out for everybody behind you, and make life easier (and MPG better) for everybody.

Yes, sometimes this meant that there were 20-30 car lengths in front of me, and not closing that gap is very difficult mentally! But it works out a lot better in the long run for engines and brakes alike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
TooOld
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

FF Reputation: 3 TooOld Good Standing Member
So the lesson of the comments is to drive it as you would a manual (because it is). At least drive it as a manual at slow speeds.

Interesting article http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/22/i...l-clutch-tran/ where the writer doesn't like DCTs. But the pollsters most certainly don't agree that it's time to give up on them.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
This is just like any technology-it doesn't evolve overnight. While nobody wants to have to be a test mule, we won't move forward without implementation and working out the kinks. Kind of like the rain-sending wipers-instead of wanting them to work better, people complained about wanting the old 'known' technology. So that's what 2013+ owners got.

I'm not advocating that people have to drive grinding/bucking transmissions, but they should be educated on how to drive the DCT differently than a normal torque-converter automatic and Ford should continue to work on improving the system as a whole.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
blackhillsken
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104089
What I Drive: 2013 SE Ruby Red hatch

FF Reputation: 1 blackhillsken Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Drive it like a manual in rush hour creep. I do my best to open a BIGgapbetween myself and the vehicle in front of me. The nthe stop start gets totally cut as I do not have to stop and start every few feet. I can base my moving on the average speed. And have say a ten to twenty car gap in front of my car, Letting it close up when the cars in front stop, lengthening it when they move on (to the next complete stop)
Now plenty of folks go crazy when they see a big gap in the traffic past the car in front of them....
Used to be much worse. And the cars behind would actually honk like they could 'get someplace' if only I was hanging on the bumper in front of me.
Over the years (been doing this a longtime) MORE other cars do it, and most drivers now understand and do not freak out over my, or others keeping a large gap.
While in traffic jams the stop start chains just keep happening, but a few people, like me, working to move slow and smooth really CUT the number of dead stops from dozens to only two or three over several miles. And I guess folks who do not do it understand it actuallu is to everyone's benefit.

Anyway, the gap also cuts the need to be in that stupid zone of creeping a few feet then almost stopping.. etc.

Not everyone needs to do this. but a few always doing really really cuts down on the constant start stop dance.
Elizabeth,
As much as I try the same technique as you, here in NJ if you leave more than two car lengths, someone way more impatient than you will fill the gap & you'll be almost going backwards after a while. Damn frustrating & makes you want to keep closing the gap.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
TooOld
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

FF Reputation: 3 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
This is just like any technology-it doesn't evolve overnight. While nobody wants to have to be a test mule, we won't move forward without implementation and working out the kinks. Kind of like the rain-sending wipers-instead of wanting them to work better, people complained about wanting the old 'known' technology. So that's what 2013+ owners got.

I'm not advocating that people have to drive grinding/bucking transmissions, but they should be educated on how to drive the DCT differently than a normal torque-converter automatic and Ford should continue to work on improving the system as a whole.
Very well said. I use the "5 year rule" (made up by me) regarding vehicles. Take a 2000 Focus vs. a 2005 Focus. The '05 is significantly better. Ditto for a '10 vs. an '05. Likewise in 2015 we'll be saying how much better than the 2010's they are.

This isn't to imply that the previous version(s) are absolute junk, it's just my observation that about every 5 years (maybe even 3 years) we see enough technology changes to call it "better."

This also isn't meant to imply that all technology changes are for the better, but in the aggregate, the sum moves that way.

Bookmarks & Social Networks