Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Transmission Shaking

393K views 1K replies 297 participants last post by  drag-t 
#1 ·
I've had my new Ford Focus for less than 2 months. I'm about to take it back to the Northside Ford Service Center in San Antonio, which will make my fourth time to have it back in service since I bought it. At very low speeds, like in stop-and-go driving, with light breaking pressure, the car shakes and shutters. At first I was told it's just the way the new transmissions are. I drove to another dealership and drove another Focus. The problem was not there. So I took it back in and was they given a copy of a service bulletin that says the shuttering problem will soon clear up and the clutches needed time to break in. The problem got worse. I took it back in a third time, and on the way a cooling fan motor burned up, and after a week they said the cooling fan motor was replaced and the shuttering couldn't be felt. Well I drove it off the lot, turned around, and asked the service rep to go for a ride. When I showed him what I had been experiencing he was wide-eyed and went back in to get the transmission expert who also took a ride and said that's a real problem because our legs were shaking inside the car. The tech then agreed that he would not be happy paying $21,000 for a car that acted this way. So now, I'm leaving it at the service center again. Oh, and the trans tech now says he thinks if may be a braking problem. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I'm very, very close to just parking it and hiring a lawyer. I feel taken for a ride, and not in a Ford Focus.

#526 ·
Took my car in for the transmission issue . This time I'll be paying a $125 diagnostic fee if Ford deems it "normal." Wish me luck.

#527 ·
Diagnosis Fee

Fortunately my wifes son is a ford Master Tech so we won't have to deal with fees and the runaround BS. He's done a few of the clutch replacements. He also said it's a new trans so he recommended waiting a few years before buying a Focus. We didn't listen. If worse comes to worse, after clutch disc replacements, and software updates we'll have him do a complete trans replacement before warranty is up or sooner. We get to bypass the service writers so less hassle. Unfortunately not everyone has this luxury.
Despite the trans it's a nicer ride than the Japcrap and Ford copycats Hyundais and Kias.

#533 ·
UPDATE: My dealer called and said they his tech could only get it to rattle once, so I told him if he couldn't find a hill to climb to just shift it into second as soon as he could and give it some gas. I guess they'll be keeping my car an extra day, though. *fingers crossed!*

#535 ·
Thanks for the update, PratoN. If you need my help, you know how to reach me.

Drove my car today and no shuttering problems and acceleration from a stop is quick with no hesitation. 1,500 miles on it now.
Glad to hear that you're enjoying your ride, Rockyherald! Should you need my services in the future, I'm always just a PM away.

Crystal [thumb]

#536 · (Edited)
Haven't heard back from them yet, but I realized that this experience reminded me of one time when I went to the doctor... Note: This story is kind of gross.

First off, I'm not one to go to the doctor, but I knew something was up so I wanted to get some medication. The doctor told me it was a virus and to “walk it off.” I went back 3 days later telling him I couldn’t swallow (I drove home from work spitting into a cup because I had a splitting pain in my throat and ear every time I tried to swallow.) I suggested it might be a peritonsillar abscess because it was only 1 side of my throat that hurt. He was like “No, those aren’t common.” He tested me for strep and mono and they both came back negative. But he gave me some steroids to help cope with the pain/swelling (which totally helped, btw) but by the time the steroids ran out (it was only like 3 days-worth or something) the throat pain came back full-force. I eventually scheduled an appointment with another doctor but the abscess ended up draining itself the morning of the appointment. She wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic to take care of whatever might have been left.

WebMD = FocusFanatics
Strep/Mono Test = TSB
Steroids (“Band-Aid”) = Software Update(s)
Abscess draining itself = Oil Leak
Antibiotics = New Clutch

I was furious in both of these situations because I (my car) was CLEARLY sick (broken) but because there was no definite answer, there is no definite solution? The dealer agreed that the noises are weird, but if they come back today and say they can’t perform the TSB because my bell housing isn’t leaking, doesn’t that mean they should still troubleshoot SOMETHING because it’s still broken?

Hypothetically, say my dome light starts blinking when I turn it on. It still "works" as a light - it's just different... There isn’t a TSB for that, but the dealer should still fix it, right? What makes the transmission any different (besides cost)?

#537 ·
Yup... they said it was a "characteristic of the transmission." I'll be paying $125 and I'm pretty sure they didn't even open it up. I'm livid.

#538 ·
Wife's Not Happy About Transmission

Wife and I both purchased 2012 Focus Titaniums, only difference is the color. Mine runs fine (although I did have numerous issues upon delivery that needed to be addressed), but hers not so fine. The transmission shakes when coming to a stop and taking off from a stop. Just got it back from the dealer who said everything is OK, and that "there are a lot worse Focus transmissions out there." They did do something with it, and told her she would need to drive it a few weeks for it to re-learn her driving habits. It shuddered as soon as she left the lot, so we are not optimistic. This has completely turned her off on all Ford products. Hopefully, this issue may go away, but we doubt it.

#542 ·
Wife and I both purchased 2012 Focus Titaniums, only difference is the color. Mine runs fine (although I did have numerous issues upon delivery that needed to be addressed), but hers not so fine. The transmission shakes when coming to a stop and taking off from a stop. Just got it back from the dealer who said everything is OK, and that "there are a lot worse Focus transmissions out there." They did do something with it, and told her she would need to drive it a few weeks for it to re-learn her driving habits. It shuddered as soon as she left the lot, so we are not optimistic. This has completely turned her off on all Ford products. Hopefully, this issue may go away, but we doubt it.
Hi rtkba,

I want to step in and see how I can help. Please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll look into some options.

Thanks!
Crystal

#539 ·
I've done all I can and given Ford as many chances as I could.

I can't lemon it, but I've filed complaints with the BBB, NHTSA, and FTC. [dunno]

#540 ·
My SEL is going in the shop tomorow for the 3rd time about the jerky tranny AND the lack of power or lag in certain situations. I admit I have high hopes as the 3rd dealer I will now go to, told me that such a tranny behavior could be related to some oil being in/on the clutch's.

I hope he will find something and be able to correct it 'cause driving this car is, well, driving me insane. I just hope I wont get the ''It's normal behavior''.

I'll keep you guys posted

#545 ·
Focus Shaking on cold start

this is my first post, ive been reading this forum for about 3 weeks now and have decided to share my story.

Bought a new 2012 focus SE at beginning of October 2012. It was great for about 2-3 weeks. We started noticing that when the car was left out of the garage over night, when we started it in the morning, it would idle very rough and jump between 1k-2k RPM. After waiting a few mins it would calm down to about 1k RPM. Pop it in drive, give some gas and the car would shake horribly(As if someone doesn't know how to use a clutch). This is an Automatic, so stuff like this shouldn't happen.

Take it to the dealer, they run some tests and find faults in the ECU. They order a new ECU, takes 8 days to arrive and get installed. We are told car is fixed and ready for pickup.

We pickup that evening, drives home no issues. Next morning, start it up, same problem...

Bring back to dealer, they are stumped, give us another rental and start troubleshooting. They now determined that the car is over fueling and fuel injectors need to be replaced. The replace 4 injectors, test the car on a cold start the next morning and are satisfied with the repair. I tell them ill come in the next day to pick it up.

As we are on our way down, they call me and tell me not to come get it, as they just started it up, and the problem is still there...even though they tested it the day before with no issue.

So, ive had the car for 3 weeks, the dealer has had it for 2.5 weeks. We brought it to them for a repair before my first payment even came out of the bank.

I've been logging all my issues with Ford Canada customer service. They have a case created for me. I've also been in contact with the owner of the dealership. At this point I don't really want the vehicle back. They cant seem to fix the issue, and I am no longer confident that this particular vehicle is reliable. We don't have Lemon Laws in Canada, we do have a Govt. program called CAMVAP, in which you can fight to get your money back for the car.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? I'm at a loss and feel that I wasted my money. I really just want my money back or for them to give me a new vehicle, or at the very least, repair my car, and give me a free extended warranty to relieve my reliability concerns.

#546 ·
this is my first post, ive been reading this forum for about 3 weeks now and have decided to share my story.

Bought a new 2012 focus SE at beginning of October 2012. It was great for about 2-3 weeks. We started noticing that when the car was left out of the garage over night, when we started it in the morning, it would idle very rough and jump between 1k-2k RPM. After waiting a few mins it would calm down to about 1k RPM. Pop it in drive, give some gas and the car would shake horribly(As if someone doesn't know how to use a clutch). This is an Automatic, so stuff like this shouldn't happen.

Take it to the dealer, they run some tests and find faults in the ECU. They order a new ECU, takes 8 days to arrive and get installed. We are told car is fixed and ready for pickup.

We pickup that evening, drives home no issues. Next morning, start it up, same problem...

Bring back to dealer, they are stumped, give us another rental and start troubleshooting. They now determined that the car is over fueling and fuel injectors need to be replaced. The replace 4 injectors, test the car on a cold start the next morning and are satisfied with the repair. I tell them ill come in the next day to pick it up.

As we are on our way down, they call me and tell me not to come get it, as they just started it up, and the problem is still there...even though they tested it the day before with no issue.

So, ive had the car for 3 weeks, the dealer has had it for 2.5 weeks. We brought it to them for a repair before my first payment even came out of the bank.

I've been logging all my issues with Ford Canada customer service. They have a case created for me. I've also been in contact with the owner of the dealership. At this point I don't really want the vehicle back. They cant seem to fix the issue, and I am no longer confident that this particular vehicle is reliable. We don't have Lemon Laws in Canada, we do have a Govt. program called CAMVAP, in which you can fight to get your money back for the car.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? I'm at a loss and feel that I wasted my money. I really just want my money back or for them to give me a new vehicle, or at the very least, repair my car, and give me a free extended warranty to relieve my reliability concerns.
Heya Robnjackpot,

I have a contacted the CAMVAC people a few months back. Pm me and I will share my experience with you.

#548 ·
PratoN

I thought you been at the dealership last week. Is it still the same? What they did, what print out you got?
Ford translates ( Fix O Repair Daily). :)))
Can't wait to trade mine in.
Does anyone tried back buying trade option? Thinking to sale them back and take new Fusion.
Anyone tried transactions like that? Don't know how big of the difference will be versus selling on the market.

#552 ·
Well, I'm at 39k miles, so instead of asking the tech to open my bell housing (hindsight is always 20/20) I paid him $109 to drive my car around and say "Well, there's no leak - so there's nothing we can do."

#549 ·
Smizak

Don't you noticed, everybody have the same issues. Anybody who doesnt have this symptoms either driving with loud stereo(or window closed) which makes noise hard to notice, or never stuck in traffic to recopy stuttering of the trans. FORD don't know how to fix it and there is no easy fix. Recalling all cars it's Chapter 11 for them, so they not gonna do it. They will repair you till you 50k miles.:)))
It's sad that mega company got feet in mud, hope something come up in the future.

I am trying to get new trans on junkyard and take it apart for research.
Since ALLDATADIY don't have subscription yet.

#550 ·
If you guys have a time, read this.

Sophisticated control algorithms help the PowerShift DSG to maintain driveability in the 2011 Fiesta, while keeping the clutch pack from overheating. Virtual sensing is used instead of a transmission temperature sensor.

The six-speed dual-shift gearbox ("DSG") in Ford's 2011 Fiesta has a four-shaft "gear pack" from Getrag and a dual-clutch assembly from LuK. However, Ford did more than wrap a housing around these components.

Integrating the DSG, which Ford has branded PowerShift, into a new powertrain that can satisfy domestic Ford buyers was a major human-factors engineering effort because the DSG is different, both in componentry and operation.

The DSG has no oil pump, oil cooler, hydraulic controls, or torque converter. Micro-slipping the clutches provides the torsional damping. All shifting is done with electromechanical actuators. Two actuators switch from one clutch to another to instantly effect gear changes with no loss in torque. Others operate forks for gear selection.

DSG's close relationship to a manual transmission means it delivers a fuel economy benefit of about 8 percent vs. a conventional four-speed automatic, Ford claims. U.S. EPA highway fuel efficiency is estimated at 40 mpg for the Fiesta. The transmission is built in a Ford-Getrag joint-venture plant in Mexico. Piero Aversa serves as Ford's PowerShift engineering manager.

According to John Rich, Powertrain Integration Manager during Fiesta development, Ford's objective is a transmission control strategy that warns while gradually trying to guide the driver from low-speed abusive operation into patterns that maintain reasonable clutch assembly temperatures for durability but without annoyance or causing noticeably poor driveability.

This contrasts with the simpler approach of flashing a warning and if the driver doesn't respond appropriately, causing the transmission to shudder while shifting, and at a critical point, throwing the gearbox into neutral.

It might seem most effective to use a temperature sensor to monitor clutch assembly temperatures, but "sometimes sensors have their downsides," Rich explained.

Ford has four primary instrument-panel message center alert levels plus several possible actions the control module may take. These require not only sensor precision throughout the temperature range but for the rated life of the transmission itself. That overall requirement is better served by a virtual sensor—an algorithm that looks at many inputs, including a measurement of electrical energy to each of the two clutch actuators, as well as road speed, engine rpm, ambient temperature, etc.

In fact, there is no transmission temperature sensor, not even in the fluid, as the DSG gear pack contains no clutches and bands. The algorithm was developed in conjunction with LuK with assistance from Getrag, Rich said. Ford started with a simulator program in which "civilian" Ford employees tested a wide range of control strategies.

The simulator provided feel of road grade, including rollback on hills, and the "drivers" faced an instrument panel similar to that on the Fiesta. They were videotaped, including their foot positions, to see how they reacted to different IP messages, so the human factors engineers could see what worked and what some "drivers" tried to resist.

Warning levels

The warning levels start with "Transmission Hot-Stop or Speed Up" plus a warning chime. The message may repeat with a slightly louder chime. If heat buildup continues, the next message is "Transmission Hot-Stop Safely."

If there's no suitable change in driver technique and temperature of the clutch continues to increase, the computer can induce some shift shudder and then display "Transmission Hot-Stop. Wait One Minute" (or subsequently, the same message with more minutes). If the peak temperature level is breached, that message may be accompanied by the DSG going into neutral.

But multiple warnings and then shudder come first. Neutral only occurs when the temperature peak is exceeded, after the multiple warnings. So the declutching is always within a gradual sequence, never abrupt, Rich said. When clutch assembly temperature drops sufficiently, "Transmission Ready" is displayed.

With a properly functioning transmission, excessive heat buildup won't occur during normal or even aggressive driving, Rich claimed. Various forms of abusive low-speed/high-load operation, however, can heat up the DSG clutch. The most severe buildup occurs if the driver uses the gas pedal to hold the car on a relatively steep upgrade, or even creep slightly uphill at perhaps 2-4 mph, Rich said.

The virtual sensor can detect a "hold" and change clutch application torque slightly, so the car will start to roll back (although a warning message precedes that).

The objective is to induce the driver to apply the brakes, which disengages the clutch (producing neutral idle), cooling the clutch.

If the driver attempts to launch repeatedly in a 2-4 mph crawl-along and the clutch assembly is hot, the computer will inhibit launch to allow some cooling. Ford tested its algorithm in Mexico City, Rich said, where drivers tend to keep close to the car in front, and the clutch assembly didn't overheat. The PowerShift does have the creep function that drivers expect, however, along with a hill-hold, in which the brake pressure holds briefly as the driver switches to the gas pedal.

One algorithm that took particularly careful tuning can back off the throttle when the driver has his foot on the brake pedal. A common trait is left-foot braking, with the foot continuously resting on the brake pedal while the right foot is pressing on the gas pedal—a situation for which the clutch assembly temperature algorithm was developed.

However, the control module has to instantly differentiate between that and a motorist trying to stop the car with a stuck throttle. On the Fiesta, a brake pressure transducer in the antilock brake module is monitored, so the computer can distinguish a modest change perhaps because of driver fidgeting from an emergency move.

AEI tested this algorithm during the new Fiesta's U.S. media preview, and we could maintain the throttle with our foot resting even moderately on the brake pedal. But from that point, even a modest but positive press on the pedal brought the engine back to idle.

#551 ·
If you guys have a time, read this.

Sophisticated control algorithms help the PowerShift DSG to maintain driveability in the 2011 Fiesta, while keeping the clutch pack from overheating. Virtual sensing is used instead of a transmission temperature sensor.
This has been posted several times in various DCT threads. Its still useful though.

#553 ·
Just got my car back after being in for 5 days. There was a bell housing leak, at least that's what it says. They replaced "various nuts and bolts" along with the seals and clutches.

Before I had this done, if I let off of the brake the car would lurch forward making it a pain in the ass for traffic jams or a drive thru. Now I must give the car gas to make it move, only downfall to this so far is when the clutch engages it literally BOLTS forward. Not sure how this will pan out after the the "break in".

I can tell the trans is a lot better far as shifting at higher rpms. I'll update as improvements/problems come up.

#555 ·
Yes that's where it is, its the metal shell between the engine flywheel and the torque converter or clutch assembly.

Wikipedia is succinct about this for once.
"Bellhousing" is a colloquial/slang term for the portion of the transmission that covers the flywheel and the clutch or torque converter of the transmission on vehicles powered by internal combustion engines. This housing is bolted to the engine block and derives its name from the bell-like shape that its internal components necessitate. The starter motor is usually mounted here, and engages with a ring gear on the flywheel. On the opposite end to the engine is usually bolted to the gearbox. However, on some transmissions, the bellhousing is a nonremovable part of the transmission case. This is particularly true with front wheel drive transmissions, which are much shorter than conventional rear wheel drive transmissions.

#558 ·
PratoN
, you better move quickly then. You 11k away from picking up the tab. Good luck. Keep us posted, I gave up repairing it. They took mine for two weeks, no loaner. So I end up using my H2 where spend tons on gas fill up. So I desided will drive till it fall of the engine or have free time to bring it back. I will try different dealer soon though.

#559 ·
He has the 125k mile extended warranty, but he also has the $125 deductible even if they don't find anything wrong. So even though it should be covered Ford has been less than forthcoming with fixing the car or even determining that there is an actual physical mechanical problem in his case. Sounds like there might be bad seals and oil contamination, but they don't want to fix it period. That seems par for the course apparently. Not good.

#560 ·
Redngreedy, if we talking about same thing that leaked. I doubt you had a leak there, maybe it's made up receipt. How it CANNOT leak if trans and engine connection not tight.
If iam not mistaken its just bolt on attachment without gasket.
I did have a similar leak on old 03focus when pump seal broke, oil everywhere. DCT trans different but doubt it's totally different attachment.

#570 ·
Another interesting thing. I called my dealer about 13Fusion. They said we will buy it back for 13k(mean my focus). So that means I have to pay 12k out of my pocket. This buy back option is ridiculous. How its possible!!! I have 12500miles and year old. Dropped like double.:))LOL

#571 · (Edited)
Transmission recall; my biggest mistake!!!

Hi Everybody,

Been alurker for a while.Iwould like to share my Experience.
I purchased a Brand new 2012 Ford Focus SE in May 2011. Love the car since the very first time Iseen a comercial of it. I trully fell in love specially when I have seen the Race car version specially with the high wing at the back. Any way. Purchased an SE and was planning to purchase a stick shift
transmission. Since 17 years old, I have been driving stick shift and learned driving from a 1963VW Bug. Anyway I was at the dealer and noticed the gas mileage chart betweena stick shift Focus and an Automatic. I ask the sale man why the automatic transmission gets better gas mileage.
His response was becauseof the new 6 speed transmission and the stick is only five. Since I commute 110 miles a day (To and from work) 80 milesof that was freeway driving and the 20 miles was city driving. I have no complains, every thing was fine and love the car. One day , received a recall notice from ford concerning a roll backs on an incline. Well, I was thinking , I did not have any problems with mine rollingback but was still concern.

So after two to three weeks and finally got a day off from work, decided to
take my car to the dealer close to the house ( 9 Miles) and get the recall
done. BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER DID [mecry][mecry].At first the dealer did not know what I was talking about then they called Ford and gotan anwers but they were having problems with down loading the new program and they end up keeping my car overnight till the next day. To make the story short..

Since the recall work, my car was never the same. All the signs that every body in this forum are talking about I have, Every thing that the people here are saying what their ford techniciansin are saying regards to the transmission learning the new programs,etc. etc. I also have heard..

I have taken my Focus since the recallfour times now and still not fixed.I love the car,I love the gas mileage before the recall, I was getting an average of 39.6 milesto gallon city/hwy, after the recall 36 MPG average. I purchase a standard white colr Focus 5 Door hatch back and triked it out . I still drive it since I did not have a choice because I can not afford to purchase another car. All I am asking to the FORD Engineers and Ford Company 1s to find a fix. I hope I am not asking much and so as other thousand of other Focus owners. For FORD company...All I can say was we believe on you, we want to support an american company auto maker but with this kind of problem, do youblame people on turning to imports. Like I said I am a 59 year old working man, I work hard for the money I earned. I do not mind spending it on an american product all we ask ws to fix ourcars.

I could have attached a picture of my 2012 Focus SE, Hatch. Mighty proud of it specially I did all the customizing. . Maybe on my next post..

FOR FORDCOMPANY!!!!!!!Still looking for help to get mycar fix...[headbang]

#574 ·
...Since the recall work, my car was never the same. All the signs that every body in this forum are talking about I have, Every thing that the people here are saying what their ford techniciansin are saying regards to the transmission learning the new programs,etc. etc...
Hi YAPPYS2012FOCUSESE,

I want to step in here and get your regional customer service manager involved. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your information in your CSM's hands and ensure you're contacted soon.

Thanks,
Crystal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.