Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What is your favorite tire brand?

132K views 397 replies 331 participants last post by  Fazerdude 
#1 ·
What is your favorite tire brand?

#52 ·
Tars

The firehawks that came with the car worked ok untill I hit 20,000 miles and then they just 'went away', but... they did not get replaced untill 75000 miles had been put on them. Now I have some M&S Cooper for the winter and Goodyear Eagle F1 for the summer. The F1's ROCK on clean dry and clean wet pavement a nice gradual breakaway at the limit with predticable throttle steer.
A lettle pricey thou.
Later

#54 ·
yes way. I drive 100 miles a day just for work mostly highway.
Of course if you have trouble believing that then the fact that my brakes did not get changed untill....... 95,000 miles will be hard to swallow as well.
i do not tail gate or drive hard as this is my commuter car.
New front rotors and pads and she is good for another 95,000 miles!!
The tires did not grip after about 20000 miles but held air and rolled untill replaced.
Party on.

#55 ·
Falken Azenis all the way.

#58 ·
all I know is I am going to wrap my 17" wheels with falken or yokohama rubber.

#61 ·
They used Falken for mazda rev-it-up, and those things were falken sweet. They had excellent grip and they were getting abused and held up very well. Also, can't believe you don't have Conti's listed, they are stock on my SVT and if not for rev-it-up would get my vote. Also the Bridgestone RE750's are very good, I put some on my ZX5 before I sold it...

#63 ·
Need tires, want quiet, SMOOTH, ride

Well, soon after I purchased my 2002 Ford Focus (Which I LOVE). The ride became rough and I took it back to the dealer and they told me that I needed tires, DUH !!!! I thought that maybe since I am paying for Two Focus (one for me and one for my daughter) that they would prorate them and help, but no. Now I am looking for great tires, smooth, quiet, long-lasting for the amount of money they cost. Like cost per mile. I understand that tires can vary even in the same brands. What will be a great experience for one may not work for another that well. But if one brand comes up more often that will be the one I will look at.

#66 ·
One more vote for Dunlops!
So far (only have 700 miles) I like the factory installed Conti's that are on my SVTF now.
Made in Germany usually means fine quality.

I've heard alot of people bash Dunlops and I cant imagine why, since on my Probe I have Dunlop SP8000-ZR's which look very nice/aggressive and have lasted very well. The grip and handling is awesome too. They keep their composure clear up until the speedo is buried at 140. Perhaps not the best tire if you're looking for occupant comfort though. I think they might be a bit noisy, but then the ProbeGT is anything but a comfortable ride, it's designed to drive, hard!
I've found the USA made Dunlops to be very good. Expensive, sure, but I will probably buy them for the Focus when that day comes.

#67 ·
I'm on cheap kumho's now, I hate dunlop tires. They do not have good tread when it comes to driving in snow!! Once I have enough green saved (tuition has gone up for the third straight year) up I'd like to get Enkei 17x7.5, wrap w/pirelli's

#68 ·
blueoval said:
I hate dunlop tires. They do not have good tread when it comes to driving in snow!!
There we go, another useless bash on Dunlops. They are not designed to be good in the snow. It's a performance summer tire that is superb on dry pavement, where it's meant to be, which is all I was trying to say. I drive my truck w/ Bridgestone Revo A/T's when it snows and I would never drive my sport cars in the snow, but I'm just spoiled like that I guess.
Just backin' my Dunlops!

#69 ·
I agree the dunlops were excellent when it was DRY. I had to drive in the winter with them b/c college is expensive and it had sucked me dry, so i had no choose to drive with them on.

#71 ·
Im running Kumho 711's and so far, im pleased with them. I payed 71 dollars a piece for them, so about 309 balanced and mounted. They stick like glue in corners. I've not squalled a tire yet and even dumping the clutch they hardly spin. Love the tires and the looks.

#72 ·
the goodyear eagle RS-As arent really anything special, it is easy to spin them, get into four wheel drifts, and swing the back out, they also lock up in the rain if you press about half way down on the brakes... soooo.. id say ok performance summer, poor wet performance

for my next set i want to get some kumho mx700s, good looking tread very sticky and good treadlife

#73 ·
Toyo are the shiznit i got some yesterday and went on a mountain run today and stuck like glue great tire. (toyo proxies4)

#74 ·
I had Falken Azenis Sports, the stickiest road tire so far for me. Very noisy and the tread pattern doesn't lend itself to straight line stability or any hint of all weather capability, but on dry pavement-WOWIE ZOWIE! I believe these are the tires that won there class in auto x at the Nationals. I was using them on an 02 wrx with size 225-45-17, but I'm sure they would improve many other cars too like the focus.

Jim

#76 ·
Yokohama those tires grip so well and don't let up [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.