Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Turbo LSX Focus

310K views 1K replies 149 participants last post by  BoostedLM7 
#1 · (Edited)
ok im making a post of my plans. i was going to wait till i was finished to post this but i figured you guys would really like to see the progress more than just the results.

the plan: To build a turbo v8 focus with upwards of 800hp for less than or equal to the price it cost me to build the 4cyl to make 400hp. this is all of course based on the fact that i am doing it my self and not paying someone to do it. i done the same with the focus build and i plan to do this one as well.

Info on the Build:

Motor: 5.3L Vortec out of a 2002 Chevy 1500 truck from a salvage yard for 500 including wiring, ecu, manifolds, etc. i am not some one that looks at things by brand names, the only thing i care about is the power, reliability, cost, and sensibility of it. i am using a chevy motor because of how universal all of their parts are, how compact they are, the power they can make, how little they cost, and they are very reliable. the 5.3 was very easy to find, i have a ls1 IM for it, and plan to get a corvette zo6 cam. after the project is finished and rolling i will save up and build this motor and push the t76 to the limits.

a modular cobra or navigator motor are both very large, very expensive, and very complicated motors. the 5.0's are junk when it comes to making a lot of power.

Tranny:
TH400 transmission. very inexpensive and very strong. i do not plan to buy a tranny controller so i need a mechanically operating trans. the plan is to either swap to a 4l80e trans and convert it to full mechanical/and manual valve body and build it or to build the turbo 400. this will depend on funds when the time comes. i have this ordered from a local salvage yard for 350.

Rear end and suspension:
the same salvage yard will be supplying me with what ever i need out of a wrecked mustang with a 4 link 8.8. this will include the linkages, shocks, springs, brakes, and wheels. i believe their price is 350-400.

the 8.8 will be what i use till the motor and tranny are finished. then i will be switching to a cobra independent. i will not be tubbing and building a drag car. i will do my best to make this thing handle as good as it does now.

the front subframe will need to be modified, but i will be using the stock focus suspension. my plan is to cut out the section where the tranny will go through the subframe and reconstruct it to fit under. the rack and pinion will need to be in front of the motor so i will be getting a rack out of something that will fit. the stock spindle will work fine. i just swapped the driver and passengers sides to move the tierod hook up to the front side.

Engine managment:
megasquirt will be used because this is a budget project. i am very happy with the reviews i have seen and for the price i dont think i could get much better. it may not be able to do as much as many of the ems's available but it will be able to make a very reliable driver and work great for the power.

gauges:
just going with all autometer gauges.

fuel:
i already have a return fuel system, i just need to buy 4 more injectors and new fuel rails.

pics of the tear down:

what the engine with turbo will look like:

i will be posting every time i buy some thing and telling what i paid. in the end will post a full list of every part i purchased and a list of every part i sold and what they sold for along with what i paid.

hope you guys enjoy

Tim

See less See more
Reactions: bespurcell
#1,116 ·
yeah. the focus's front is slopped forward and that makes the radiator sit lower than the top of the wp on the ls. so i mounted the cap up top

#1,118 ·
thought you already did that lol. looks like there's what, a good 1-2 inches from the water pump pulley to the radiator? that sucks. then again look at audis stuff haha.

#1,120 ·
got about 3/4" from wp pulley to fan assembly. engine is solid mounted so it will never move any where so it doesnt matter.. but yes very close with stock focus fans and 3" core radiator

#1,122 ·
and yeah i already had the cap moved for a while. just now got the rad done though

yeah stock focus fans flow great. no need for any thing aftermarket that doesnt flow half as good

#1,127 ·
thanks guys. i got my new manual rack in. havent installed it yet but i did buy a house. so i havent been working on the car much since this. been moving stuff and laying tile and painting. all that stuff

#1,134 ·
oh yeah I remember thing. it was sick last time I saw pics of it etc.

hey Tim I've been curious ever since.. why the manual rack? drag car?

#1,136 ·
[:D] yep...

i dont want to mess with building a custom power steering system and a stock ls system will be in the way of my turbo.. and later on turbos

#1,141 ·
thats a neat idea.

btw how big is your starter? I found a gear reduction starter for mine for $30 before employee discount and it is tiny...... like import tiny. maybe something of interest?

and I feel stupid now since I didn't realize the LS series had a different firing order than the other sbc's.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.