Zetec timing belt replaced having issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Bulletflinger
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114357
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Bulletflinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Zetec timing belt replaced having issue

2003 Focus ZX5 2.0 zetec manual trans.

Used : TCK294A timing belt kit

I installed new serp belt, water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses,new pulley and tensioner from timing kit. The tensioner was not the same ad the one I removed. I used OTC6486 tool to do the timing belt and followed a YouTube video petty much through the whole process. When I adjusted the tensioner in the timing belt I was able to line up the "markers" not sure what they are called, but after I tighten cams back up it seemed that the adjustment would go off on the tensioner about a 1/8th if an inch. I performed this same step twice and then moved on reinstalling and putting everything back together figuring this was normal. When I cranked the engine over is started up on the first crank and runs well. I test drive it and when I returned I opened the hood and I heard an unusual idle sound. Although not noticeable on the tach in the dash, when I listen to the engine it sounds like its idling up n down, up n down, slightly.
I am thinking that it may be possible that an air hose came loose while raising and lowering the engine during the installation process? Or can this timing tensioner be causing this problem. My battery case and air Box has a bit of a shake to it and I can feel a small shake on my shifter inside the car. Other then that the car runs perfect, shifting perfect and starts right up. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
shaking idle sounds like a vacuum line somewhere. that'd also cause the sound you're hearing. check all the hoses, etc.
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Check the vacuum line going to the charcoal canister on the firewall.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Bulletflinger
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114357
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Bulletflinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thank you for your help...

I actually checked to see if there were any dtc codes and there weeent any. went with a flashlight and checked all connectors and air lines by making sure they were correctly in place,
Opened top of timing belt cover and looked ok but is not on the same exact location as the old belt. Off by about 1/8th or 1/4 of an inch on the cam gears. I can see the clean spot toward the valves where the old
Belt must have been riding. I started the car, at first start up it always sounds fine cause if revs at the higher rpms. I reved the engine a bit to get it warmed up. At some point I pulled the MAF sensor and it stalled the engine. I restarted,
Now at the normal rpms around 750 I am no longer hearing the surging sound. I was for a few minutes here a clicking sound coming from the right side of the engine above the trans, but after I reved it
More a bit the sound went away. Seems like
It's running ok now.. Not sure what the issue was, either it fixed it on its own or something I touched while investigating has
Now either made contact, or sealed a leak in one of the air hoses..
Either way thanks again for the replies. Any ideas what the ticking sound would be near the trans? A shield rattling, is there anything that spins while in
Nuetral with manual trans inside the trans? Not sure where it was coming from couldn't pin point it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->