Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Water spots on trim

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  PhoneHome57 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

My 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback has some water spots on the plastic aluminum/metallic like trim that runs across the side of the car underneath the windows. I'm not quite sure what I can use to get the water spots out on this type of surface. Anyone have any suggestions or experience dealing with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

#4 ·
Try a clay bar with some detail spray.

If that doesn't work, try a very small amount of rubbing alcohol directly on the cloth.

#7 ·
Thanks for some of the suggestions everyone. I tried the rubbing alcohol and vinegar, but neither really seemed to do too much. I also tried some Ultimate Compound to no avail. So this really has me stumped. If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions, please feel free to share.

Yeah, that's what got me wondering about the way to handle this. The plastic like surface had me thinking about what it would take to actually remove the spots. That's why I was hoping that someone may have had this problem before and could offer some advice in eliminating these spots.

#9 ·
Meguires Plast-X polish?
That's an idea! I got mine semi-shiny again with window cleaner, but it's going to take some sort of polish to make it good again.

I don't know about the OP, but mine looked like breath on a mirror that you can't wipe away. That's the best way I can describe it.

My car gets washed 2-3 times a week. I think it was one of those things where it slightly got worse and worse until I finally noticed it.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2, fool!

#10 ·
Yeah, may have to look into the Plastx and see if that does anything.

Basically, it looks like a bunch of dots running across the trim. And you can tell the spots came from the water. I'll see if I can get some sort of picture of it and post it.

#12 ·
I have a boat and the lake waterspots are nasty especially when its over 100 degrees. I use soft water with a heavy dose of vinager and a little less of window cleaner concentrate. Micro fiber it on and use a dry one to wipe it off.

I also like Lucas Slick Mist Speed Wax to follow things up with for a final shine. It will get off the minor water spots. It may take 2-3 times with this solution but it has always worked in the past.

I make up a gallon of this at a time so it is always handy in a ruber maid container. good luck.

#16 ·
Spots and Dots.... Help

My 2011 has what look like water spot on an un-waxed car that has spots in the clearcoat. The only real problem is, it's not on the outside of the car.
This is on the interior metallic finished plastic thats all over the dash and console. I'm afraid to touch it with more than warm water and a microfiber towel. It's only molded plastic. If I use anything abrasive it'll eat through super thin layer to the plastic underneath. I've thought about using ultra fine compound maybe 6,000 grit or finer.
As a last resort I'll just rip it out and paint it to match the exterior (Ruby Red)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.