Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus

888K views 2K replies 468 participants last post by  PrDawg 
#1 ·
Well purchased my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on May 21, 2011. My vehicle had to be ordered and was delivered to me on May 24th. Upon driving it, I found that when I would come to a stop and push the gas to go, it would sputter and hesitate. I have been dealing with it for over 2 weeks and decided to contact my dealership.

I took the vehicle to the shop on June 3rd. The tech drove with me and felt exactly what I was talking about. He stated that he had to put it on the computer. Within 30 minutes, he came out with a piece of paper stating 2012 Focus automatic transmission shudder. Some 2012 focus vehicles equipped with the powershift/DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop. This condition does not cause durability or reliably concerns and will deminish as the clutch breaks in. "IF CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF THIS ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AND SHARE THIS SERVICE MESSAGE WITH THE CUSTOMER.

My question was, how long does this go on and when will it stop? No on could answer. Has anyone else felt this issue? I could not find any post on this prior to me putting this up. I stated I do not feel safe in the vehicle. The car at times when I pull out on the road feels just like it will stall out. After sending an email to the VP of the dealership, I was contacted by the service manager. He stated that he is working on getting an answer from Ford.. At the time of service there were 781 miles on my car. Today there are 1291 and still nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply and will move forward if I don't like the answer.[bigcry]

Also, yesterday while driving, my shoe lace got caught on brake peddle. Has anyone else ever gotten stuck on the brake peddle? Just curious. It freaked me out.

See less See more
#306 ·
Montana, you are wrong. You choose to see it that way. I've had several reasonable suggestions in this thread in regard to the cause of these issues and what can be done about it. Nonetheless, I responded to a specific comment and stroked his theory with a little anecdote. It's all there in text, have another look.

It's all just speculation anyhow because the only people who really know what's going on is Ford. Eventhough they acknowledge the issue, consistently insist a solution is on the way and offer extended coverage to ease our minds I'm sure they are just stalling until the check clears the bank. Meanwhile, sensationalism and emotions fuel a bunch of reactions to this grand defective death trap conspiracy when all the while the fact remains that vehicles of a new breed have issues. Always have always will and no maker in the world is immune. The issues are eventually resolved and life goes on. Ford loses a few customers today and soaks up a few people pissed at their Hondas tomorrow. At the end of the day you can sleep satisfied knowing you knew it all and one of the oldest car makers in the world is plotting their next elaborate multi-million car sales scam on the infinately reasonable, gullible public.

#309 ·
Whatever the reason ,Ford really has a major problem with quality control.Considering clients are paying 1500$ for shipping and preparation fees,there's no excuses for a defective cars to make it to customers.I just received a call from a Ford rep who says not to be aware of such a problem,I had to tell her ,that if there was no problems ,I wouldn't be fighting Ford for the past 3 months trying to get what I paid for.It was like talking to a voicemail service.

As long Ford denies the problem exists ,they will never get it solved.And this if costing a lot of sales.Nice ads are one thing,a good reputation is way better.

#314 ·
So, of all of you that have this chatter... How many of you test drove the vehicle you purchased? How did you not notice this "characteristic" and if you did why drive away with it anyway?

#315 ·
I can't speak for others,but my problem is a vibration between 50 and 70MPH.The first time you hear it ,you think it's simple road noise from an uneven surface.When I bought the car,there was traffic and construction.So it was less than obvious to hear it.I only realize there was a problem the morning after, on an open road.

Considering that the quality control inspectors always use the same roads to road test the cars ,they should have felt that something was not normal.
Because that part was obviously not done right,I'm also asking for a refund of the car preparation fees.And even if I'm getting rid of the car once it's fixed I will take the premium extended warranty plan ,so the next owner will be covered once the after effects of months of vibration will surface in a few years.

FYI I spent most of my lifetime in Ford vehicles and owned many of them.But now that I'm seeing how they,re cutting corners and making customers paying for it,I will never own another Ford again.It's amazing how 3 months of BS(and still counting) and losing your summer vacation, can affect your opinion about a car company.

#318 ·
I don't think you guys realize the commitment established when you buy a new vehicle. We aren't talking televisions or cell phones here. If ford bought back at retail price the cars they sold at wholesale they'd go broke pretty quick and if the issues you are so concerned with weren't an anomoly but rather a systemic breakdown of quality and customer handling there would be a lot more similar situations out there. The fact that there isn't says even more once you consider your logic after test driving. "their qc guy drives the same roads every time so he should notice the difference" but apparently the slew of you guys didn't notice it in your test drive either. Ever consider the possibility they weren't able to simulate your driving habits? How could you possibly remove yourself from that scenario and then point the finger at someone else doing the same thing? Remember, this rationale is coming from the guy who knows first hand about occasional misbuilds going right from line to transport.

I see this as a simple commitment. Ford is more legally commited to diagnose and resolve this issue than they are to handout refunds. Just as you can't just quit making payments they cant just pay you 25 grand for a car they sold for 19 grand. They should have done more homework... But again. Every car maker goes through this with new models and every one would handle such an issue similarly.

#320 ·
First of all,in many cases it's way cheaper to replace the car than replacing random parts until the problem is found.In my case,if you count the parts(bearings,drive shaft,transmission),all the labour(more than 2 weeks) and the premium extented warranty as compensation ,you can say this cost Ford more than 7000$ so far,this is not counting the 2 months the engineers have been working on it and the price of the actual fix.

If Ford quality control would have detected the problem from the start or the dealership would have taken the car back on first sign of trouble,the car would have been set aside and resold at demo price once the solution is found.On a regular basis some car come out of assembly lines with major problems(and this from all auto manifacturers),those cars are set a side and are sometimes given for testing of for movie props or sold for scraps.

But keeping these cars on the roads and making the clients pay for the major inconvenience is very bad business.And putting the blame on the client like you do is even worst.You pay 1500$ for shipping and preparation you expect more than transport and a car wash.When manifacturers put new models on the road they got budgets to deal with the new issues,letting the clients suffer thru those problems is not a good way to make good publicity when anyone can go on youtube and facebook to express their negative experience.

#319 ·
Figure out how to duplicate the problem 100% of the time, and then take a tech on a ride with you. If you can't duplicate a problem 100% of the time, then it can't be repaired. I had something like that with my 05, I felt an intermittent vibration at high speeds uphill with decel on the first high speed trip I took. I worked and worked to recreate the situation, but although I could recreate it 90% of the time- I knew it wasn't enough to be properly diagnosed. I double checked everything suspension, tires, wheels, etc through the life of the car. I knew what it was from the first time I felt it- an inner CV failure, but it was never bad enough to get replaced under warranty. Finally at 130k, I was able to diagnose the problem 100%, and repair it. This is my car, I'm the mechanic, and I'm not willing to go throwing parts at a car to fix it. Sure, I was right from the git-go this time, but that's not always so.

Good luck- seriously. I was just relaying this so you can figure out what to do so you can get your car diagnosed and serviced properly. While you're under warranty is the time to get these drivetrain problems figured out. If it's something breaking in, then it will go away whether it takes 10k or 20k miles. If it's a failure problem, then it will get worse and you'll be able to recreate it 100% of the time so it can be diagnosed and repaired.

#323 ·
Soooo many issues!

I have an 12 focus hatchbackSE I have been dealing with the dealership ever since day one. The transmission issues and the hesitation issues and the steering noise issues and now the downhill assit is not responding correctly! I must say though that the dealership has been excellent to me! They just can't fix it! If it is even fixable! I have had 2 "fixes" and neither one has fixed anything I am calling to get the car in for a third fix tomorrow but my question is is what constitutes a lemon??? I am really not happy with this car!!! I am so sad that my friends who are not ford people, and I am,get to rib me about "shoulda never bought a ford ya know?" I have always owned fords! and now what do I do? Natasha Help!!!!

#325 ·
I have an 12 focus hatchbackSE I have been dealing with the dealership ever since day one. The transmission issues and the hesitation issues and the steering noise issues and now the downhill assit is not responding correctly! I must say though that the dealership has been excellent to me! They just can't fix it! If it is even fixable! I have had 2 "fixes" and neither one has fixed anything I am calling to get the car in for a third fix tomorrow but my question is is what constitutes a lemon??? I am really not happy with this car!!! I am so sad that my friends who are not ford people, and I am,get to rib me about "shoulda never bought a ford ya know?" I have always owned fords! and now what do I do? Natasha Help!!!!
I think lemon laws vary with state but out here in cali we have 3 for the same instance and they will file the lemon law. It has to be a serious defect though, I don't imagine the radio not coming on after 3 repairs would allow a lemon law filing.

Montana

#326 ·
I dont expect perfection,but driving off the lot with a defective car,having three quarter of the powertrain replaced and then stopping for 2 months instead of replacing the hub and strut that are the only thing left, is stupid.If Ford doesn't want to finish the repair well they should give me another car.I shouldn't put my life on hold because Ford engineers are idiots!I'm starting to understang why Mazda decided to distance themselves from Ford.

#327 ·
Cut the hyperbole I'm not saying its all the customer's fault. I'm also saying that some people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to how the situation will be handled. And if you think your analysis of how cost effective repairing an issue via service vs. a buyback voluntary or not is more accurate....well.... I'm sure ford would love to hire a new genius to crunch #s

#328 ·
Actually I think I'll apply for a job at Ford engineering department.Because where I work ,if I would spend two months on the same problem without a fix ,I would get fired!And as for my numbers ,this doesn't include all the people around the unsatisfied customers who will obviously stay away from Ford vehicles.Ford is telling us that these cases are isolated problems,if it's the case,why are these clients driving these faulty vehicles?Just by stopping buying air time for their stupid commercials would pay off most of the car replacements.

#329 ·
Hey guys,

Beepster, i fully understand your frustration; hell i'm in the same situation as you.i have the EXACT same problems, FORD has yet to offer any extended warranty free (Which you were lucky to get).

I will give them the time to sort this out; i am sure that if the flow of same problems keep on dropping in that eventually they will wake up from their corporate chair and take some action.

Let's be patient on this. We still have lot's of warranty milleage left, so let's just hang in there and see what they do about it.

I believe that we will not get anywhere by insulting or trash talking them.

Patience is the key! :)

Cheers

Seldom

#330 ·
Patience take it's toll when the car was bought in the first week of summer ,so I would get a new car for a few road trips and I had to cancel everything because I spent my entire summer vacation in a really smelly and dirty loaner.The reason I got the extended warranty ,is because I complained to the Ford Customer relationship centre.I can only use my car if I limit the highway driving,because of the excessive bearing noise between 50 and 70 mph.Three months and still counting.

#338 ·
My dealership is full of it!

This morning I decided to try another strategy to get answers and it worked.

I once asked them the list of parts that were replaced on the car.They told me driver side driveshaft,bearings and tranny.No mention of the hub or spindle.

So,because Ford doesn't want to pay for other work on my car ,I asked how much it would cost to replace the hub and spindle if I paid for it.I told them that if them of Ford wouldn't pay for the repairs,I would!

The answer was quick.They said they already replaced the hub and spindle!Funny,I asked twice and those were never mentionned.And they also told me that Ford engineers are changing wheel bearing vendors and a new batch is coming very soon to fix my problem.

First of all,I knew that offering to pay for the work,would make the dealership react,but never expected to see them to BS me about the spindle and hub.As for the new bearing issue ,this was mentionned here almost two months ago.Is this true or are they buying time because they don't know what to do with me ,I don't know.But the more I see this side of Ford and the more I know I'll never buy another one again.

#340 ·
I feel bad for all the people with transmissions problems who can't get it fixed and replaced.My transmission was replaced for nothing and the new one shutterer only twice.
The original never had problems but Ford and the dealership agreed to replace it to try to fix my noise and vibration issue.And after that they were showing me why it wasn't the transmission when they were the idiots who replaced it for nothing in the first place.

Two days after that ,my salesman had the balls to call me ,asking me to give him a very good grade on the customer satisfaction survey.I hung up on him and wrote to the owner of the dealership telling him his employees were morons.

Can't wait to get those "magic bearings" and see if they are gonna end or not my nightmare.If not ,hope they will finally pay me a real new car!

#341 ·
I spoke too quickly.Coming back from the supermarket the transmission fell into neutral.I looked at the shifter and it was in "Sport".I slapped it up in Drive and went back into gear.Sport mode or Drive it shouldn't do this.

If this car is not a lemon ,I don,t know what is!

#342 ·
I know why they didn't tell you that they replaced the spindle and hub the first time you asked.

A spindle is the part of the steering knuckle that the bearings ride on in RWD vehicles. On FWD vehicles what would be equal to the spindle is the outer end of the driveshaft. That's where the big nut is that holds the driveshaft in the hub. In FWD vehicles, the bearings are destroyed by removing the hub. Sometimes the hub is also destroyed, and so a new hub with bearings attached is pressed into the knuckle. I haven't worked at a dealer, but I'm guessing it's standard practice to replace hub and bearings instead of just bearings- like you would on a RWD. I know you can purchase hubs with bearings already pressed to the hub, so that's likely what they did.

Apparently Ford has discovered that there is a fault in the manufacture of the bearings like the ones that are in your car, and has found a solution. I certainly hope the new bearings solve the entire problem before you have to start lithium therapy. You might consider taking some donuts with you when you go in for the bearing replacement before the service advisor ends up on xanax. It seems that they have really been trying to make you a happy customer to no avail through no fault of their own.

#343 ·
There has been many inconstancies in what service manager told me from one time to the other.I took a lot of notes and kept all the emails.The spindle is not part of the driveshaft ,it holds it in place.And considering that these parts are not standard stock in the parts department ,it felt funny that they were available when the driveshaft failed to fix the issue.Fault of not ,the car never should have left the assemble line and never should have been sold.I never got a quality car and will never get it.It will be traded soon after I'll get it repaired.This will be my last Ford EVER.

#352 ·
I don't have MFT on my car(thank god),and noticed that this system has been under fire in the news.In Canada most provinces are banning cell phone use in cars,and at the same time,many are questionning the use of overcomplicated software to manage basic car systems like heat,A/C and the radio.
Ford is not the first car manifacturer to introduce this kind of software,but it made available in cars that most of us can afford.So more and more people are busy struggling with that software to start the radio or AC instead of watching the road.I only got "mykey" and I was surprised on how much attention this thing was getting.So ,I can only imagine how dangerous using MFT can be while driving.

#362 ·
Hi, Beepster!

Our goal for MyFord Touch is optimal, best-in-class performance. Like other technology, performance improvements are achieved through software updates, often based on customer feedback. In regards to safety, our system is designed to utilize voice commands to keep hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road.

MyKey allows parents to limit speed and audio volume to encourage teens to drive safer and improve fuel efficiency. The key is programmed before use, therefor it does not require any special attention while driving.

If anyone has additional questions, feel free to PM me.

Jaclyn

#353 ·
Just test drove a new Focus. Love everything about the car except.... the transmission. Car had 46 miles on it. From a stop it is just awful, stepping on gas and waiting... waiting... waiting and now we are going. At lower speeds, under 35 it just could not figure out a gear to be in.

Any suggestions? I will go back and test a car with more miles on it and see if it is any different. New car must have trans that works better than a 13 yo Subaru Outback we are replacing.

Oh, and this is the first time my shadow has ever darkened an American auto makers showroom.

#354 ·
If you like size of the car but want something more reliable with a better resale value,go for the Mazda3.For 2012 Mazda just came out with their "Skyactiv" gimmick that looks a lot like Fords tech,but you can still get the conventionnal and reliable old engines and transmissions.I would stick with the old tech until the "Skyactiv" thing has proven it's reliability in a few years.

If you're gonna go for Ford,make sure you do a long road test with the car you want to buy and NOT with the demo car.Because once you bought it ,good luck if you got problems.

#356 · (Edited)
My update at 3500KM:

1) Loose upper strut tower bearing on right side found at 1200KM now fixed as of last week (took about a month to get parts! )

2) Defective PS rear speaker (also found at 1200KM)-- still waiting on the part (now told a total lead time of two months as the first one Ford shipped was the wrong-- that wrong one took about a month to get.

3) 'Acceleration hesitation'/transmission responsiveness. Had car in last week for this too. Don't know what they did but there is a mild-- MILD improvement... might even just be power of suggestion. Take-off power still sucks with a clocked 2 second delay most times.
In general stepping on the gas requires 2 second count before there is any action. There is no discernible consistency though, so I can't adjust my driving habits to accommodate the mechanics!
About a dozen times there has been a "thud" in the front end on acceleration. First time I though I hit a dog or something. I don't know how else to explain this.
I would like to have this modded somehow as Ford likely can't. Any ideas?!

4) black screen (still only one incident so far that I 'fixed' myself with the fuse pull).

5) paint defect about the size of a silver dollar on DS above rear door on roof. Need to make a body shop appointment yet.

6) Trunk gas prop defective. Does not stay up below +7 degree weather. Can't get dealer to replace as they need to see it happen.

7) Sound system has delays sometimes. I press "next" and have to wait 5-10 seconds before it advances to next song. Only occurs on USB, that I know of.

8) Key-less door locks not working consistently (started at 2000KM). no, it is not me. ;) I have read the manual, forum posts and the like and there are times when it just simply fails to work the way it is supposed to.

9) Failed to start once. Still don't know why.

10) Wind shield wiper on driver side has defect.

11) Design issue: I just tried to give someone a boost today... WOW, won't be doing that in the bitter cold of winter. Way too hard to get at the negative post on the battery as it is tucked in too far to get at with booster cables. I may have to run a shielded and capped wire from it to have it accessible! I average 3-4 boosts for people each winter.

12) Design/material issue: B-pillar plastic is very much subject to scratches. I'll be covering this with a scratch guard material.

Now officially not happy.

Stuff is defective. I get that. As a QA professional and change specialist for the last 16 years I have some measure of awareness and 'tolerance' to defects existing in our products.
What I can't tolerate is the amount of issues that are emerging on this $27,000+ vehicle, how they are intermittent and the off-shoot of them being the time and energy that my wife and I will be spending to coordinate appointments, travel to two ford locations for repairs (both of which have NO courtesy cars). Also will have to do some personal modding. That is why I bought a new car-- to avoid this type of lifestyle of screwing around to through good money and time after bad.
The intermittent issues add to my lost time to get the dealers to deal with as they can't replace what appears to work for them.

All with in 4 months of owning (to end of this year), I estimate we will be using over 10+ hours of personal and business time, be without a vehicle for about 40 hours and spend over $200.00 in rentals/cabs.

#358 ·
Gee , I guess I'm lucky 900 miles so far and no problems..
xmission is funky, but I'll wait as the dealer "Told me to wait"[8)]
After all he is a dealer, and they would never lie to you[unsure]

You guys obviously have never owned SAABs before...
My 95 wagon drove like hell (between repairs)..
SAAB treated every failure on their new cars as a "Feature"
and that you were lucky to have one [paranoid]

if it isn't running, you can't get into an accident[cheers]

see very safety minded

#369 ·
You have to get used to using a automatic manual transmission its not like a traditional hydraulic transmission .
When you come to a stop the transmission disengages and as soon as you take your foot off the brake you'll feel the transmission engage before you touch the gas that is normal.
Some people drive with both feet one on the brake and the other on the gas that will also
Create a problem.
It's a new learning process for the car and the driver

#370 ·
Yeah we already heard that song before.The problem is that the Powershift Transmission was half baked when Ford put it on the market.And the salesman and dealership technicians know very little about selling and maintaining them.Until all kinks are known and corrected,I would not recommend that transmission to anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.