NJ State “inspection” gave my PCM a computer virus! - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
joecicalese
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105573
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 4 joecicalese Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm gonna say you got Axel Foley'd by the DMV and they stuck a banana in your tailpipe. Or you have a faulty O2 sensor. Also rush hour traffic on 80 is horrible, bless you for dealing with it on the daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Removing flow restrictions in an exhaust is not going to affect MPG at anywhere other than WOT if the exhaust is properly designed. At slightly off idle the volume of exhaust gasses isn't large enough for a restriction to make noticable difference.

Unfortunately one thing that quite often exhaust work does is change the "note" of the exhaust from the old "sewing machine sound" to a deeper throaty rumble - people love hearing that - so they punch it more to hear the sound - and negate any mpg benefits real quick.

What I am saying is more fundamental than that. Eastern is manufacturing thousands of catcons in their facility, likely tens of thousands. Mandrel bent pipes are better than accordian bent pipes, all other things being equal. When your building a production line, the increased cost of a mandrel bending machine compared to an accordian bending machine, amortized over all of the exhaust systems they make, is insignificant. It adds maybe an extra 10 cents to each catcon.

The fact that Eastern chose to make a worse product when it would have been so cheap to make it better, to me casts doubt on the quality of the product that you CAN'T see - such as the substrate.

Other direct fit exhaust makers do use mandrel bent pipes and are competitive with Eastern so it is clearly not a hardship to them to do it right.

When I make quality comparisons I look at the small stuff. Like did the company use a 1 cent washer when it would have been advisable or did they cheap out? Because when companies chintz on quality they usually start with the small stuff because they don't think people notice that as much. So you buy a clock and the cord on it is 2 feet shorter than it needs to be or you buy an alternator and they used a plastic pully instead of steel, etc.

Look at Ford with the Zetec coolant water outlet. It might have cost them maybe $5 more to cast that part out of old aluminum beer cans instead of casting it out of old plastic bags, but they used plastic and created a long term problem. So for most people they end up paying a mechanic $300 to replace a stupid part that saved the maker $5.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Or more likely, unlearned owner can't find the leak and burns car down to the ground chasing fuses to retire car way early so he gets to buy another. You will never convince me some of this stuff is not intentional and not part of some cynical plan. One or two incidences yes, but now you can easily find things like that all over the cars. Someone while engineering is doing it to planned obsolescence in many cases. Plastic parts fit into that in a lot of ways. They tout 'weight savings' and you get screwed.

That water neck could easily be re-modded to make a bigger flange on the ID that held up to last much longer even using same plastic but after thousands of failures do you see anyone at Ford step up to mod it?

All the places on my Fords where I am repairing things that upon looking at them and realizing 'this could've been cured with only a ten cent more expensive part' or similar, has got me sick of working on them. Going to another brand from now on out. Maybe the other brand does it too, but sooner or later one needs to fire whoever's making the substandard stuff or suffer it or worse forever. There is absolutely no reason for cost cutting that goes that far except for one, and that one has nothing to do with bettering the brand. I'm talking about management at the top squeezing ever more tightly to get those incentive rewards.

Even worse, when you buy more than one car of same model like I do and compare the later one, you can always find things they re-engineered to break faster. Some of it is eye-opening, like now finding a molded-in hole to make a weak point right at stress point in a part that never had that hole before. They can say they are saving material and making car lighter all they want but the exact placement of that hole says all I need to know.

I look first at the small details too.

'Their decision to do this kind of says to me that Eastern figures the Focus is just this cheap grocery getter car and the owners aren't going to care for getting quality parts.'

That, and more darkly, they are placing a bet on stupidity there.

Sorry I got off topic but a nerve got struck there on last post. More fundamental indeed.............
Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #24
gary the wolf
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101265
What I Drive: 2003 white stationwagon

FF Reputation: 1 gary the wolf Good Standing Member
my wifes 02 focus cat stopped working after going through large cold water puddle with hot engine,,,l jus kept clearing the codes until l found a good used one,,,works fine now,passed all air tests,,,mecanics say its not uncommon, jus go through puddles slower in cold weather
Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #25
soambah
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109548
What I Drive: 2000 Amazon Geen SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 soambah Good Standing Member
Well, despite the dire warnings that a catcon with an “accordion” bent pipe will ruin my zetec’s. “performance”, I now have an Eastern Catalytic catcon on the wagon.

Why? Well, I went to Eastern’s website to get a better look at the “accordion” bends I’d been warned to avoid and saw a button that said “Get a FREE Catalytic Converter and Installation” Yeah, right, “hand me that piano” I thought to myself. But, I was curious about what kind of “rip off ‘ or “bait & switch” this would be so, I clicked on the link and to my immense surprise it was just a request for an email address, phone number and some info about the car. There was NO request for a credit card number or other sensitive information. Within a few hours I got an email telling me that my ‘00 Focus Wagon “qualified for a free catcon including installation”! I was told that if I shipped them my old catcon they would ship me a replacement or I could take the wagon to them and they would do the installation but I’d have to leave the wagon with them for a few days.

It was an agonizing decision. Anytime I’ve had “work” done on any of my cars I’ve needed to, redo or fix what had been “repaired”. Even had a “name brand” tire place manage to install a set of Falken Ziex tires with the “inside” labeled sides on the outside but that’s a whole nother story.

I love wrenching on old “perma-rusted” exhaust systems soo much that I chose to, this time, deprive myself of that “pleasure” and took the wagon to Eastern Manufacturing in Langhorn PA. Three days later I picked up the wagon now equipped with a new catcon, complete with new bolts, gaskets and a 50k mile warrenty! Total cost? Two $1.00 bridge tolls, about $6.50 for fuel and a now I owe my brother-in-law a favor for following me there and back. Future cost of repaying that "favor" - probably way more than the price of a new catcon LOL

Pic attached.

Look at the pic you will see that there are no “accordions” between the catcon and flex pipe. The welds are beautiful and build quality is superior to oem IMO. Concerns that the zetec will loose performance because of accordion bends are totally unfounded!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #26
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
A stock engine will never see those accordion folds anyway, but you don't want them on high-perf stuff. I don't like them but it's real world nit-picking.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #27
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
Wow I wonder why the heck Eastern allows it's resellers (JC Whitney, etc.) to use stock photos that show the accordion bends?

Thank you for the follow-up! And thank you for participating because you know, when you left them your car, you basically gave them an opportunity to custom-fit the converter. So the next time one of us needs to buy one of these we won't be swearing at it at 10pm at night because it doesn't fit.

I don't live near their facility so I couldn't take advantage of the deal but I am very glad that you posted a picture. They are one of the companies I looked at for a replacement catcon since mine on my 01 sedan is dying very slowly and in a year or so probably will need to be replaced.

Bookmarks & Social Networks