Focus Fanatics Forum banner

power shifting...or is it?

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  zx3foci2000 
#1 ·
I recently learned about power shifting...well so i think i did. Here is what i think it is: pushing down the clutch without letting off of the gas and shifting into the next gear. I hear that this is supposed to be a little better method for racing or whatever.
Well, i went into a forum and some people were saying that power shifting is when u shift at the ideal rpm's without using the clutch. I have heard of this but i thought the other way was power shifting.
Now, which is the actual power shifting and is the method that i described safe and efficient?
I tried this out and it seems more efficient. I was able to spin my tires into second even more than just shifting really quickly. Is it better to power shift and is it ok for ur car?

Thanks...

#5 ·
Ideal RPM might have been incorectly used. The way that I understand speed shifting is that there's an RPM (that I think varies from gear to gear) where the gears are close enough to being synchronized that you can switch from one gear to another without hitting clutch or letting off the gas. If you go at the wrong time you won't make the switch, drop into neutral and consequently will lose power. I had to drive like this for about a week when my clutch went out on an old car. I'm not recommending this as a normal way of driving. I would imagine that it causes significant wear on the car. Can anyone verify this, or am I just rambling on and really have no idea what I'm talking about??

#7 ·
Hey everyone,
From what I've been told powershifting is when you DO NOT let off the gas when you shift gears. Ideal shifting is when you shift gears at an "IDEAL" rpm where it is not nessesary to press the clutch in to shift from gear to gear. I don't believe that ideal shifting will work when trying to "race". I have shifted using the ideal method when my slave cylinder has gone bad and ideal shifting a car usually is in the 2500-3000 rpm range. As you can see this range of rpm is not going to help when "racing" against someone. However, from personal experience, I would suggest that anyone with a standard shift car practice IDEAL shifting. It is very handy to know just in case something goes wrong with the clutch on your car you would still be able to get it home. As stated above USUALLY the "IDEAL" shift point is around 2500-3000 rpm. Hope this helps :)

#8 ·
thanks alot guys...i think i understand what power shifting is....if anyone else can comfirm that power shifting is infact shifting without letting off of the accelerator, please do so and explain further in detail...thanks

#10 ·
Well i dont think shifting the way you guys are saying is good for your clutch..The power shifting that is..If you dont let up the gas ur just spinng the clutch alot faster and will wear down the clutch pretty baddly. Id say just shift at the right RPMs with your clutch...No sense in blowing ur clutch out at low miles...Correct me if im wrong tho..doesnt sound to good.

#11 ·
To me it's just natural to shift with the clutch.....racing or not....But i do know how to shift without using the clutch....like someone said before....handy when the clutch isn't working right. Shifting withouth letting off the gas seems a little hard on the clutch and the engine..... just my 2 cents.

#12 ·
Power shifting [or board shifting] is in fact shifting without lifting off of the gas.

#13 ·
I also thought it was a bad idea, my bf does teh power shifting and now he has to buy a whole nwe clutch and it isn't cheap. I suggest just stick with the normal clutch shifting.....I hardly think you'd need to power shift if your car is still new...I don't think my clutch would be going out soon, so doesn't need to be learned....owell, that's imo....

#14 ·
I can't think of any driving situation where it's necessary to powershift.

#15 ·
Power shifting is good for racing, but definitely not something you should be doing alot. I've noticed, the car is much faster when power shifting and the tires emit a nice bark at gear changes.....BUT after I stop, I can smell my clutch whithering away[mad]

#16 ·
essveetee said:
BUT after I stop, I can smell my clutch whithering away[mad]
LOL like I said, no necessary situations. whatever time savings you've gained are probably negated by the increased component wear.

#17 ·
Just my 2 cents here:

Unless the definition has changed over the years -- Power Shifting has always meant shifting without using the clutch. At least here in Detroit.

You stomp on the throttle, don't let off too much, and shift without the clutch at high RPM's. It does take a lot of practice to feel when the gears synch up. However, by doing this you maximize acceleration by a constant application of engine power to the driveline throughout the gears and RPM band.

I am by no means an expert, but that is always what we've done here street racing. Thing is though, most serious street racers will use an automatic (that is with domestic cars) because they can (if set up correctly) shift faster without having to disconnect the driveline to, you know, push in the clutch for 1/2 second to shift.

Bottom line is the faster you shift the faster you go. You do not accelerate forward when the clutch is disengaged.

-Glenn

#18 ·
FocusGlennFocus said:
Just my 2 cents here:

Unless the definition has changed over the years -- Power Shifting has always meant shifting without using the clutch. At least here in Detroit.

You stomp on the throttle, don't let off too much, and shift without the clutch at high RPM's. It does take a lot of practice to feel when the gears synch up. However, by doing this you maximize acceleration by a constant application of engine power to the driveline throughout the gears and RPM band.

-Glenn
This is ONLY true on really hardcore transmissions like on some Corvettes etc. Especially in older muscle cars, you used to be able to just JAM the gear into place without using the clutch. Newer transmissions will not let you do that unless they are sync'd.

The 'definition' is confusing because both are correct, but only 1 is really used now because any car you would want to shift without the clutch to drag with will now have a sequential gearbox in it.

So the correct definition for the modern day is that it's shifting without letting off the gas. With the disclaimer that, if you can do that AND shift without using the clutch, you are still power-shifting (shifting while applying power).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.