Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Any Ideas for Annual Focus Meet?

3K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Chick 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone from the Right-side of the country...

I was thinking of having a Focus Meet at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park and was thinking what competitions should be available.

Of course, if enough people want this meet, there will be food, hotels, socializing and much more. I want this meet to overshadow the West Coasters meets. Any Ideas on what we should or could include in the schedule?

Anyways, since i have no experience hosting a meet, i might have Poughkeepsie resident Howard Hutchinson, who organized the First Annual NorthEast Supra Meet me and my dad went to, i might have him help me organize it...

what do you guys want or think?

#2 ·
Yeah a big east coast event would be sweet.
Some of us are planning a g2g in virginia, which I think is too far for you, in the spring.

#3 ·
well, i haven't really driven into jersey, but i did drive to a NASCAR race in Pocono Pennsylvania, with my dad riding shotgun, scared to death... I also drive 84 miles round trip from home to my College in westchester county NY, which is basically a piece of cake especially at 100mph. i regularly do this speed, probably because it keeps me awake in the early mornings when i have to drive to school. but right now it just started snowing here, in White Plains, where my school is, and even though it's slippery out, i believe my focus can handle it, the thing is, i can't.

i can handle anything, so would an autocross competition be ok with you, ashley, and everyone else?

#5 ·
yep, we do. i've never autocrossed either, but i practice everyday.

What else do you think we should do? Obviously we have to include drag racing, dynamometer tests, and the can't-live-without-it show-n-shine.

What do you think of slalom tests, or skidpad, od dB drag racing? or even a tech "center" where newly bought parts are brought to the meet and installed for free.

what do you think? and is there just the two of us on this forum?

#6 ·
No there are more people then that that respond to the topics on here. It's almost winter and no one really wants or has planned any type of meets. Most people are looking to have some in the springtime.
Give this thread a few more weeks and some people might throw up some ideas. Myself, I have none at the moment cause I'm not very good at planning things.

#7 ·
g2g

what you all should do is plan on attending next years fall fling. we had 11 on track and that many more show up. with a little foresight, we could put 40 on track and monopolize an entire run group. vir and g and w do the planning, we just need to register very early and show up at vir.

#8 ·
[scratch] Virginia International Raceway? Why, it's too far for a measly twenty-something like me. The Supra meet had cars from all over the east coast some from florida, michaigan, central states, even one from good ol' CA (well at least the license plate was). Nobody had any problems traveling all that way to Old Bridge Township raceway Park (for the rest of this thread the Old Bridge Township Raceway Park will be referred to as OBTRP) besides, a lot of focus owners are near the tri-state area, yeah i know about you guys down south, but i'll see what i can do about travel time.

Oh by the way, check out the post in the east coast forums to signup for it, even in the very very early stage, if you know you are gonna go no matter what.

#9 ·
hey ashley, winter's a good time to plan a meet. the Supra meet i attended was on May 15 two years ago (2001). for roughly 9 months i went to the website to view the sign up list, it kept growing and growing (finally reached 240 sign-ups). however, it had rained on the first day, so half or less of the sign-ups had shown-up. Of course when we saw the pictures on the website a few days later, there were supras that we never saw, so i guess they continued on sunday.

#10 ·
englishtown

i used to live close to there. problem is you can only drag or a/x there. i am a 51/2 hour tow from either place so thats not the issue. its where can you have more fun. thats a no brainer.

#12 ·
OK, here's a list i came up with regarding the East Coast Meet:

Although we haven't finalized anything yet, here's what could become part of the schedule:
drag racing, dyno contest, show-and-shine, autocross, consider the following --> (burnout competition, driving school, slalom, skidpad, vendor row)

Location could be either Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, or VIR

I would like to have some display cars: Focus Daytona Prototype by Multimatic Racing and the Focus midget cars. any other display cars from sponsors as well.

I will contact the following companies asking about sponsoring the meet: FORD USA, focusfanatics.com , Focus Central, ImportFan.com , Mobil1, Ford Racing, and maybe some more.

I will contact Focus Fanatic Magazine about covering the meet in a future issue. and i certainly hope to get discounts on importfan.com parts for the focus.

Let me know what you guys think.

#13 ·
trailer queen no

this car is a street licensed/scca legal car. it is no trailer queen. i however cannot beat the living hell out of it on what the state of nj calls roads. my front end is over 2 1/2 inches lower than a stock svt. did that once last year on a trip there. friggin potholes almost ate the car. not wanting to abuse it doesnt make it a trailer queen. it has 13k on it and only about 2500 miles is on track. i just get bored making a quick pass and then waiting. thats why i dont like drag venues. even turbo tom towed his car to vir and it has nc tags. if we err on the side of car preservation and caution and that makes us "trailer Queens" so be it. when i go to a track there is every possibility i could ball it up. if no trailer, how does it go home? i spent most of my life in nj, born and bred. i miss some things about it but never those "roads". and thanks for being so kind as to "allow me to attend". glad i quailfy. all i have done for svt owners is raise the profile of the car through appearances in magazines, developing parts and help arrange track g2g's in three states., including last weeks at vir. in 33 years of road racing lots of people have allowed me to come.

#14 ·
ouch....I felt that coming...hi Gary[:)] , I think he might have thought you were some young punk with a car so shined up for shows that you were afraid to drive it[:D] ...BTW, thats def. not the case...trailer queen, haha that's funny...with most of my race bikes trailer pig might be a good term...fast and ugly!

#15 ·
queen

yeah vin sorry. i vented. youve seen my primo tow vehicle and car. i guess the scratches on the hood and other places would leave it out of the concours judging. anything much north of here is rough on suspension because of potholes. etc. it just seems (big suprise) that these g2gs are planned around drag venues. i know englishtown and its a dump. i suggested vir because the event is preplanned as far as events. oh well. i guess great scenery and a great track cant compete w/the lovely ride on the nj pike.

#16 ·
hey, man i'm sorry, it's just that i've never seen a street focus with a full roll cage. and you mentioned in your second post that it "was a 5 1/2 hour tow" which made me jump to the conclusion that your focus was a trailer queen. Again i'm sorry.

#18 ·
accepted

i can understand and apology accepted. there are very few. not too many take a brand new svtf car, gut the interior (mostly) and make a road race car. as of the ford centennial, i believe there was mine on the east coast , one on the west and the two ford built. at least thats what an svt guy told me when he asked if id bring car out. ive had many race only cars, but wanted to build a throwback. a race legal car with a/c and street tags. as i say at drivers meetings, please dont hit me-its not paid for. vin probably had it right, in that you figured it was one of those winged monsters with wild graphics. not my stlye. this car has already many scratches from on track encounters and a few small dents when i remove race nos. and decals, you have to look real close to notice the full cage and corbeaus. (all markings are on magnetic backing) i believe in stealth-no fart exhaust, wings, tint, fancy lights, etc. if it doesnt let me stop faster, go faster or corner faster, its extra weight and not on my car. (2654 lbs w/100 lb cage, 100 under stock )but as i mentioned before, nj roads kill me. i drove it to g2g at mercer park in central jersey (at which no one showed) and lost a filling. have revised suspension (again) since then, but i looked like a drunk up there, swerving to miss potholes. where i live most roads are billard ball smooth. and hey carlisle. i like that. never been and there i could drive to w/o putting car on trailer behind the beast (very used 91 f150, 186k)

#19 ·
Gary never been to Carlisle? I'm surprised its fun, lots of junk but in between there are some really neat finds, just lots of walking, but still fun. Yeah, I like the stealth thing to, the older we get the more we like that kind of stuff, when I first saw your car it was like, " hey a focus", then " HEY a focus with a cage , now I'm interested!!!".
Anyway, even if we don't meet at carlisle, and we all should, I'll still try to meet you there. There were about 40- 50 foci there last year tonnes of neat cars!! Remember the xr4ti, there were 230 or so there, national meet, there was even a real shelby and about 2 dozen clones...all kinds of cool stuff, oh yeah and 1 289 tiger

#20 ·
cones

hey egz. but that just goes to show i know the proper racing line and then some. its easy. you make believe those markers are something you dont like. and hey i was the one going by rich as he spun twice in 4 the 1st session. i had to do something to try and match him besides going straight across 6. egz i need a copy of that video! especially as my cam died. still dont know why. also cones dont scratch much. but also shows why i dont a/x. ill let you know when summits schedule is set and am going up there. we could have a mini vir reunion. and vin i dont know how ive missed going to carlisle either.

#21 ·
Yea, I'm waiting for a copy of it too. Autox some more, and you'll learn the cones are our friends. [;)]

I'll have to see about Summit. I gotta look into an issue with my car. Have a small oil burning smell. I hope its just oil driping on my manifold from my drain plug.

#23 ·
DJDeeJay, the east coast meet is still being planned, just got to have VIR open the track for us, plan the competitions that would be popular, like burnout contests, autocrossing, show-and-shine etc. Also i contacted Multimatic Motorsports, inviting them to come and display their Daytona Prototype Ford Focus, which placed 1st in its class in its inaugural race in the last Daytona 24hrs. Pretty awesome car. click the link below to see pics.

http://www.multimaticmotorsports.com/daytona/index.shtml

#24 ·
Y'all are confusing me.
And I've never been to Carlisle either. But Lil_RedZX3 has. I'm surprised that he hasn't posted on this yet. I've alway wanted to go there and check it out. But you all are mentioning so many places I'm confused......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.